Here is an update to the Vibro-Uke design progression. I started with the basic Echo-Uke design and added additional tines made from an old bandsaw blade and light weight springs. I also added a soundport to the upper bout and a piezo disk pickup. I now have the piezo wedged between the support and soundboard.
I will upload two videos, both are acoustic recordings played into a condensor mic. The first one compares how the different designs affected the sound and the second video is a short instrumental played on the Vibro-Uke. The test video uses no effects and the instrumental video has slight post compression & EQ to replace some of what was lost in the Wav. to Mp3 conversion.
After seeing Shane's post about the Echo-Uke I decided to try my hand at building a version of the device. My Uke build is a 2006 StewMac kit recently given to me after sitting on a shelf for 10 years. These first photos are from today's venture into "Vibro" design.
I shaped and thinned an old band saw blade into tines of different lengths and thicknesses to respond to the soundboard frequencies and screwed/glued them onto a mahogany base. The spring is from an old crib that was headed for the landfill. Next I will glue the base to the underside of the top just underneath the bridge before I close it all up.