Howdy folks. I'm a first-time builder. Recently got it into my head that I want to build an electric oil can guitar, like the ones you see coming out of South Africa. I've gathered all of my materials, but have one crucial question: How do you work inside of an oil can (i.e. to wire up pickups, pots and jacks) when there's no lid to open, like there is on a cigar box or a cookie tin? I'm hoping Chickenbone John can weigh in on this one, since he builds such beautiful oil can guitars, and it looks like his oil cans stay intact; they're not chopped up into sections, from what I can tell. Do you cut out an access hole in the back of the can with tin snips? Or is there a way to un-crimp the can at the bottom and peel off that bottom section, then reattach it when done? Or do you use elongated pliers, a lot of patience, and access the gut of the oil can through the slot that you cut out for the neck?

Thanks for any tips you can offer. I look forward to posting photos of my finished guitar here.

Views: 18653

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@MicCheckOne
That's why I call my first "The Prototype" and my second "My First" lol
It's all recoverable...just a few tips. Tilt back headstocks are not formed by bending, they are either cut from the solid or scarf jointed - you could probably just cut a splay onto the end of the existing neck and glue on a new headstock to form a scarf joint. The main point to note is aim for a good large glueing area (a good scarf joint gives about 3 square inches of glueing area and the joint is also reinforced by glueing on the fretboard over the area of the scarf- tying to do a dowel joint and gluing to the end grain makes for a really weak joint (but you know that now anyway!). From the photo it looks like you've got another dowelled and butted joint on the neck..unless that's well lapped over (by a few inches) by the sides of the centreblock that's another joint waiting to fail...the whole idea of a 'thru' neck" is that it for strength it should be a single continuous piece from top of headstock to tail of the guitar.

With these oilcan guitars, I much prefer to do a conventional bolt-on neck fixed to a centreblock, then you can fix the bridge to the block, and adjust the neck angle by shimming. With your one piece arrangement you've got no leeway for post-build tinkering. If you look at conventional guitars, even acoustic ones, most of them are built so that they can be taken apart, repaired and tinkered with, so something going wrong doesn't mean having to trash the guitar. If it were mine I'd repair it or re-build it with a new neck and centreblock ..you've got the can, electrics and hardware sorted already.
Thanks for the good advice, guys. After the initial sting of seeing hours of hard work snapped off at the neck, I've been able to take a deep breath and think about how to salvage this "prototype" (good way of looking at it, Randy). ChickenboneJohn, thanks for the tips on necks and headstocks and joints and such. Honestly, I had never done any serious woodwork before this, so my knowledge of joints was pretty limited. And I think I'll take your advice and stick to the bolt-on neck design from now on.

I'm going to take a break from this oil can guitar and build an ordinary cigar box guitar this week. Already got a few beautiful boxes from my friendly neighborhood head shop (if the box is empty, they'll let me take it; if there's one cigar left in the box, they'll give me the box if I buy the last cigar) and also stopped by a thrift store and found what appears to be a faux-antique wooden medicine cabinet, which would make a nice "jumbo" CBG, haha. Wish me luck!
Hello there, I am also in the process of building my first oil can guitar. I had a question about single coil pickups and how they react with the metal can. If they do react what happens and how can i prevent it from happening?
Thanks
There's no ill effect at all...I put a Telebridge and pickup in, with a Strat pickup in the neck- after demo-ing one at guitar shows this last month people were amazed at how good it sounds...the general view was.."Wow, sounds better than my own Strat"..so go ahead.
One more question which is what is the best way to cut the can for placing the pickups in?

ChickenboneJohn said:
There's no ill effect at all...I put a Telebridge and pickup in, with a Strat pickup in the neck- after demo-ing one at guitar shows this last month people were amazed at how good it sounds...the general view was.."Wow, sounds better than my own Strat"..so go ahead.
Hi Trevor, I used a
Dremel rotary tool to cut out the pickup holes for my oil can guitar. I attached a small cutting wheel accessory to do the cutting, then used a sanding/grinding accessory to file down the jagged edges. It worked out well, but the noise was pretty intense (like plugging a dentist's drill into an amplifier)!

Here's another method from ChickenboneJohn, whose comments you can read earlier in this post. He's pretty much the man when it comes to oil can guitars:
"The metal is REALLY thin and will cut with a Stanley knife or a stout pair of sharp kitchen scissors, but watch out on three points -a) it's very easy to cut too far and totally ruin the can. b) Once you've cut thru' the rolled seams or started making an opening for a pickup, it is all too easy to bend and distort the can badly, especially if you try forcing the neck into a cut-out which is fractionally undersized or has a 'tight spot' on it . c) The cut edges are RAZOR sharp, so be very careful that you don't cut or stab yourself - you can get some seriously nasty injuries working with cutting thin sheet metal." Whichever route you go, good luck, and have fun!
What I do for cutting openings for neck and pickups is to put some masking tape on the can so that I can accurately mark the position in pencil for the openings, then pierce into the corners of the opening with a stout craft knife, and cut across the centre of the pickup opening so I can then fold back "flaps" to give a neat safe "rolled edge".

Once you have made the initial cut, the rest can be done with a steady hand and a pair of sharp kitchen scissors. For rounded corners I make lots of little snip cuts about 1/8 inch apart so I can fold it back little by little. It's difficult to be accurate with this, so I usually try and put a sharp cornered wooden block at the back of the line where I'm folding so my fold-back flap is nice and straight. I work the corners by judicious use of a piece of dowel or a round plastic screwdriver handle to get the radius "just so". No power tools involved, just a sharp blade and a very methodical way of working.
Hey guys, thanks with all the help! Its been a slow process putting it together,but I am about to put the wood body within the can. What is the best way of going about that. Screws? Bolts? I know both will work but is it necessary to put on bolts with washers etc.
Thanks
Trevor

ChickenboneJohn said:
What I do for cutting openings for neck and pickups is to put some masking tape on the can so that I can accurately mark the position in pencil for the openings, then pierce into the corners of the opening with a stout craft knife, and cut across the centre of the pickup opening so I can then fold back "flaps" to give a neat safe "rolled edge".

Once you have made the initial cut, the rest can be done with a steady hand and a pair of sharp kitchen scissors. For rounded corners I make lots of little snip cuts about 1/8 inch apart so I can fold it back little by little. It's difficult to be accurate with this, so I usually try and put a sharp cornered wooden block at the back of the line where I'm folding so my fold-back flap is nice and straight. I work the corners by judicious use of a piece of dowel or a round plastic screwdriver handle to get the radius "just so". No power tools involved, just a sharp blade and a very methodical way of working.
I just use screws, usually self-tapping with a round crosshead on 'em.

John

Trevor Innes said:
Hey guys, thanks with all the help! Its been a slow process putting it together,but I am about to put the wood body within the can. What is the best way of going about that. Screws? Bolts? I know both will work but is it necessary to put on bolts with washers etc.
Thanks
Trevor

ChickenboneJohn said:

Here's the one I got from Bairfoot Cajun. Don't know how he worked the inside, maybe through the cap
;^)

Find more videos like this on Cigar Box Nation
I have no idea how I missed this whole conversation, but WELL DONE!

I cant add anything to what CBJ has already explained so well, except for that if I had the patience, I would leave the can intact too!

Oil cans are difficult for a first build (and for a 60th build....) but looks like you did good. Its all a learning process.

The best bit is Iv learnt a lot just reading through - would you believe that an hour ago I was busy screwing up a perfectly good tin. If only Id a read this first!!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->