I just dropped off a guitar at a cigar shop today, and the owner of the shop gave me a bunch of boxes in trade. There's a few nice ones, but there's also several that are just the wrong size. There's one huge one that I'm sure would sound fine, but I think it's just too big to hold comfortably. And there's a couple of small Romeo y Julietta boxes that are about 5-3/4" square. They're tiny. My friend's interested in building amps, and I'm not, so that works out, but they're nice looking boxes, and I'd like to find something to do with them too. Are there any instruments that could be made with very small or very large boxes, or by putting multiple boxes together?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• if the big box is a deep one - definitely: build a bass guitar. Maybe a shortscale, guitarron-like bass with nylon strings?
  • I've found them to be ideal for storing odd-sized cigars...
  • the more i look around there isnt a box you cant use in my eyes
  • rounded tops skinney to long theres a way or .need jackstands?
  • A different view of this:

240253369?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Craig Cox said:

what are we looking at here?

c storz said:

305724898?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024
  • what are we looking at here?

c storz said:
    305724898?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024
  • 305724898?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024
  • If you look on my page there are some in the picks.  I had a few big ones and I propped the lid so it stays open and lean the cbg in the box against the open lid. I may need to take a better pic of it.

Craig Cox said:

Hi Michael,

how do you turn cbs into cbg stands?

MichaelS Country Boy Guitars said:

All my square ones go to the amp pile, rectangular ones, even the really thin ones go to the guitar pile. Some of them with wood so thick it won't make a good guitar my wife takes and puts bead making supplies in them. The really odd shaped ones go in the what do I do with these pile, octagon and barrel shapes, hmm.  The biggest ones are made into cbg stands.
  • S

Finding a way to store and display your work has been a bit of an issue.

Someone on the network has made small boxes into wall hangers for their CBDs that look pretty sharp (to me). Cut a notch/hole for the headstock and mount the box so it'll open. Put the head in and close it for your display.

PRH

• Hi Michael,

how do you turn cbs into cbg stands?

MichaelS Country Boy Guitars said:

All my square ones go to the amp pile, rectangular ones, even the really thin ones go to the guitar pile. Some of them with wood so thick it won't make a good guitar my wife takes and puts bead making supplies in them. The really odd shaped ones go in the what do I do with these pile, octagon and barrel shapes, hmm.  The biggest ones are made into cbg stands.
This reply was deleted.