Let's face it, the music world is dominated by men. When you start breaking down the various sub-groups and look at them individually, clearly anything to do with building instruments is predominately male. The demographic breakdown of the membership roll here at CBN tells that story quite well.... And Genres -- well we've all heard the term "Bluesmen".... (That's why I named my company "Blues Women Works.") Women work in the Blues world - they sing, they play, they build, they produce, and they inspire.

We need the ability to connect with one another here on the Nation. This group shouldn't take the place of other groups that are specific to some of the questions that we might have about building guitars or other instruments, but I think that it should serve as a place for us to connect, and to highlight the work that women on this forum do. Some of the best builds that I have seen on the Nation have been done by women. Some of the most helpful people that I've encountered here are women. So let's help each other out, offer support, and share ideas without segregating ourselves from the rest of the gang here on the Nation.

There are so many helpful fellas out there with a wealth of knowledge, and I am happy and proud to call them friends. I'll continue to connect with them in other groups and share ideas. But this group is a place that I'll value for the connections that I make with women who share a passion for building instruments.

Please feel free to add you own thoughts about why this place might be important to you!

Best regards, and thanks for joining up!
Lana

Views: 162

Replies to This Discussion

Lana, thank you again for starting this group for women. I think it's imperative that women support each other, regardless of the place or circumstances. There are some wonderful, talented and inspirational men on this site, but this is not about them. This is about us.

I'm relatively new to CBG's, having discovered them this summer past when I was doing research for a project I'm writing. I immediately lost my mind over them. Although I have collected instruments for years, I never had any real desire to play until I saw a cigar box guitar. It was like finding something I'd lost, and hadn't realized it. I now spend a ridiculous amount of time looking at CBG's and cigar boxes; reading about strings and slides and stomp boxes. I am determined to play, and play well. I figure I've got a good thirty years before I forget who I am, and why I'm cradling a box with strings.

Shane Speal has been instrumental (no pun intended) in opening up this world to me, and to all of us, really. Having a place to come to learn about the new thing you love, finding answers and support and MUSIC, is about as good as it gets. There just aren't enough hours in the day sometimes, but there's always tomorrow.

I have nothing to show, as I don't build -- I'm a writer, and as a rule, our outside skills are limited. I've learned never to say never though, so it could happen. In the meantime sisters, show us your CBG's! The ones I've seen so far have been damn impressive.

THIS IS THE SITE FOR US. Please transfer from the Ladies League to here. Thank you!
Susan - thanks so much for your thoughtful reply! I think that you raise an important and interesting point about the possibility that not everyone is here to BUILD guitars. I think that most of us just assume that everyone here is a builder when such isn't the case. This site obviously has vast resources for anyone who is interested in CB instruments and has some great teaching resources for playing and collecting. I'm also a player and collector, although I am also getting into building and am in the process of getting some work up to show fairly soon (the varnish is still drying!). Shane opened a whole new world for me as well through his work on this site and I've taken in a lot of information since I joined up. I was collecting and playing Gibsons, Fenders, Martins, etc until these little babes grabbed a hold of my heart and taught me that we can make wonderfully rich music when we get back to the basics. Because of this site, I can now tell the difference between a good build and a not-so-good build, and I've collected enough and played enough now to know what I want out of the instruments that I build. Now when I buy instruments, I have more confidence in what I am doing and if the action isn't the way I want it, I can easily modify it to what I want.

Which reminds me -- you women sellers out there - please showcase your work because you never know who might want to buy something from you!

And yes, Susan, THIS SITE IS FOR US! Come on in Gals!!!!

Susan Hunt said:
Lana, thank you again for starting this group for women. I think it's imperative that women support each other, regardless of the place or circumstances. There are some wonderful, talented and inspirational men on this site, but this is not about them. This is about us.

I'm relatively new to CBG's, having discovered them this summer past when I was doing research for a project I'm writing. I immediately lost my mind over them. Although I have collected instruments for years, I never had any real desire to play until I saw a cigar box guitar. It was like finding something I'd lost, and hadn't realized it. I now spend a ridiculous amount of time looking at CBG's and cigar boxes; reading about strings and slides and stomp boxes. I am determined to play, and play well. I figure I've got a good thirty years before I forget who I am, and why I'm cradling a box with strings.

Shane Speal has been instrumental (no pun intended) in opening up this world to me, and to all of us, really. Having a place to come to learn about the new thing you love, finding answers and support and MUSIC, is about as good as it gets. There just aren't enough hours in the day sometimes, but there's always tomorrow.

I have nothing to show, as I don't build -- I'm a writer, and as a rule, our outside skills are limited. I've learned never to say never though, so it could happen. In the meantime sisters, show us your CBG's! The ones I've seen so far have been damn impressive.

THIS IS THE SITE FOR US. Please transfer from the Ladies League to here. Thank you!
Lana -- It's exactly as you described: Cigar Box Guitars attached themselves to my heart. I am learning similar things, in fact, I received a CBG from a builder in New York (who shall remain nameless) and I could tell immediately that he did not know what he was doing, nor did he take pride in what he was producing. Shoddy workmanship, the neck didn't fit right -- it looked like a six year old had built it. So, I have three CBG's, but I don't actually count that one, mainly because the action is so high, I can't play it -- even with a slide. I hung it on the wall and called it good/bad art. It's getting to be like a shoe thing though: you can't have too many, and they all have a beauty about them.
I've got a few duds in my collection too, Susan! One is so bad that it just makes me laugh -- the frets aren't even in the right place! (hard to fix that one....without replacing the neck and the nut is all wrong - the strings don't even touch it!) but like yours, it is hanging on my wall as a piece of art (it did have a pretty cool paint job). Anyway.... can you show me a photo of it? I might be able to tell you how to fix the action without too much fuss.... and turn it into something playable! And we definitely share theories on not being able to have too many guitars!!! I had to buy a bigger house to put mine in! Ok, well that's not the real reason, but that is what I often tell people..... it is so cool to find other women who love these things as much as I do! I feel as though I sometimes get looks from people who come into my house because I am so into these things (and many other instruments as well). I don't think I would get that same feeling if I were a guy! There seems to be some unwritten and unspoken rule that women aren't supposed to collect guitars - that it is a "guy thing"!

any other women here experience that?
I would gladly post of a picture of my high action wacky guitar if I could locate my camera, which I haven't seen since I returned from Portland. I was looking at the guitar though, and I don't think it would hard to adjust, however, it wouldn't make the neck fit better!

On collecting, people do find it "interesting" that I have a houseful of musical instruments, a guitar pick collection, and a sizable library of books on music and musicians. Unfortunately, it's usually women who find this hard to connect with; they know what kind of music they like, but unless they play, it's all pretty foreign. But, I was the kid who read liner notes and watched Lawrence Welk instead of cartoons. Instruments comfort me, and make me happy -- they always have. Fortunately, my house is pretty big. I thought I really had something going on here until I saw photo's of Shane's "Man Cave." Damn and wow.

Lana Rae said:
I've got a few duds in my collection too, Susan! One is so bad that it just makes me laugh -- the frets aren't even in the right place! (hard to fix that one....without replacing the neck and the nut is all wrong - the strings don't even touch it!) but like yours, it is hanging on my wall as a piece of art (it did have a pretty cool paint job). Anyway.... can you show me a photo of it? I might be able to tell you how to fix the action without too much fuss.... and turn it into something playable! And we definitely share theories on not being able to have too many guitars!!! I had to buy a bigger house to put mine in! Ok, well that's not the real reason, but that is what I often tell people..... it is so cool to find other women who love these things as much as I do! I feel as though I sometimes get looks from people who come into my house because I am so into these things (and many other instruments as well). I don't think I would get that same feeling if I were a guy! There seems to be some unwritten and unspoken rule that women aren't supposed to collect guitars - that it is a "guy thing"!

any other women here experience that?
Hey Lana isnt it funny that people get threatened when your collection crosses perceived gendre boundaries.
If you collected China or thimbles this would be acceptable.
God if I had the funds I would collect so many CBG's some of them are just awesome creations.
People already think I'm a bit nuts having one - lol.
I think its awesome to have this space for women because we communicate differently especially when discussing practical things. I have read some of the technical discussions and whilst I can get my head around it with a bit of thought I'm sure that once I digest it I could explain it better in grrrl speak. I hope that dosnt come accross as sexist its just an acknowledgement that our brains work differently & we process info differently.
What a great dream to have women artisans out there building quality intruments that anyone would be proud to own.
I'm looking forward to the journey.
Pan
Hi Penny! thanks for joining up! We are happy to have you!
Yes, I know what you mean re the collecting and the way women and men often approach things differently....
Also, could you unsub from the "Ladies League" - that group is being taken down.... anyone else out there who is still signed up might also want to exit as well.... thanks again, Penny - great to have you here!


Penny Nelson said:
Hey Lana isnt it funny that people get threatened when your collection crosses perceived gendre boundaries.
If you collected China or thimbles this would be acceptable.
God if I had the funds I would collect so many CBG's some of them are just awesome creations.
People already think I'm a bit nuts having one - lol.
I think its awesome to have this space for women because we communicate differently especially when discussing practical things. I have read some of the technical discussions and whilst I can get my head around it with a bit of thought I'm sure that once I digest it I could explain it better in grrrl speak. I hope that dosnt come accross as sexist its just an acknowledgement that our brains work differently & we process info differently.
What a great dream to have women artisans out there building quality intruments that anyone would be proud to own.
I'm looking forward to the journey.
Pan
Have any of you seen "Songs Inside the Box"? by Max Shores? It's a fabulous piece of video work documenting the cbg movement and I had not seen it until I ordered a copy from Bill Jehle at Jelly Belly Music on ebay. It's quite inspiring, and give a real context for the movement, and this habit of ours. The one thing that really struck me was the complete absence of any women in the video. I don't think that it was an intentional oversight on the producer's part, but simply a representation of what was really going on in the movement at the time he filmed it. I don't think that women were performing or building as much as they are now and Max simply recorded what he saw. Afterall, this work is a documentary....

I'd really like to see a time when there is far more balance in films such as these. To make that happen, we as women need to be visible here on the nation and at festivals and other cbg or music events. And I am not just talking about being visible here in this group - while it is nice to have a place of our own to talk about the joys and challenges of this work, it is also great to get out with the rest of the gang and learn and share what we know. Many people think of this craft as being a "guy" thing when it isn't just for guys - this is stuff that is supposed to be accessible for EVERYONE!!!! Watching that video really drove that home to me BECAUSE there were no women. If we really want to show how accessible this craft is, then let's get out there and show 'em! I'll be doing my best to do that in the coming months.

Meanwhile, Hat's off to Max for doing a great documentary on CBGs and hat's off to the women who are contributing so much here on the Nation!
Mama Mojo, I haven't seen the video. I think you are right; we do need to get more visible out there. Women need to make everyone aware making and playing CBGs are for women, too. I agree with you a 100%.

Mama Mojo said:
Have any of you seen "Songs Inside the Box"? by Max Shores? It's a fabulous piece of video work documenting the cbg movement and I had not seen it until I ordered a copy from Bill Jehle at Jelly Belly Music on ebay. It's quite inspiring, and give a real context for the movement, and this habit of ours. The one thing that really struck me was the complete absence of any women in the video. I don't think that it was an intentional oversight on the producer's part, but simply a representation of what was really going on in the movement at the time he filmed it. I don't think that women were performing or building as much as they are now and Max simply recorded what he saw. Afterall, this work is a documentary....

I'd really like to see a time when there is far more balance in films such as these. To make that happen, we as women need to be visible here on the nation and at festivals and other cbg or music events. And I am not just talking about being visible here in this group - while it is nice to have a place of our own to talk about the joys and challenges of this work, it is also great to get out with the rest of the gang and learn and share what we know. Many people think of this craft as being a "guy" thing when it isn't just for guys - this is stuff that is supposed to be accessible for EVERYONE!!!! Watching that video really drove that home to me BECAUSE there were no women. If we really want to show how accessible this craft is, then let's get out there and show 'em! I'll be doing my best to do that in the coming months.

Meanwhile, Hat's off to Max for doing a great documentary on CBGs and hat's off to the women who are contributing so much here on the Nation!
Mamma M...there is a lot of talent right here with this batch of seedlings...there seem to be a few other women in the nation who are not members of the Women's Group,too---not that they HAVE to be, either---
i think you will see the day when more and more women will be playing CBGs.
my whole interest in these was ignited when, because of extreme pain, i needed something lighter and easier to hold than a regular size guitar since music making is so soothing.
i probably would have learned to play long before i was 60 if i had found a guitar that was the right size for ME.

the New Morning began when you started this group, yes?
thank you again....zandi z.
I agree with you on that Zandi - lots of talent right here in this group. One person who comes to mind is SkeeSix - that woman can wire some serious pick-ups so if you have a chance to grab some of her work and integrate it into your builds, I would highly recommend it.

Also re the pain issues - it's so ironic that you mentioned CBgs as a playable instrument due to pain issues. I have that very same love of how well these instruments fit and how light they are. I love my Daddy Mojo 6-string guitar in terms of playability for exactly that reason. I have a lot of conventional guitars (I am embarrassed to say just how many I have hanging on the walls of my family room/music den). I mean high-end stuff (Gibson J-200, Martin D-16, Takamine, etc.) and my Daddy Mojo is my go-to guitar every time I want to play a six string because of how comfortable it is to play. It's technically a larger CBG than most and has a lot of resonance to it so it plays very well unplugged. I also have other 3-4 string CBGs that I also love to play, but that Daddy Mojo has my heart wrapped all around it's strings.

I also wanted to comment on my original post: I sent it to Max Shores, the producer of "Songs Inside the Box" and he told me that he searched for women to participate in the film and he approached one who didn't want to be filmed due to shyness, or something along those lines. I can totally appreciate and respect that decision. Max reiterated that he simply filmed what he saw at that given moment in the movement. I told him how much I appreciated the fim and how inspiring it is for me to watch it. For those of you who have not seen it yet, please consider watching the repeat on PBS or ordering the DVD from Bill Jehle at Jelly-Belly Music or through his ebay site the Cigar Box Guitar Emporium.

Thanks so much,
Lana

Ok i am heading to a swap meat tomorrow, i am going to be on the prowl for stuff, i love to scoot down the garbage isles or what some think is garbage, now as my husband said "New Addiction". I already am thinking i am going to get some hardwood "cheap stuff for the first one". Ok now here come the questions lol.

!.  When measuring where the frets go do you measure from the nut side closest to the fret board?

   A. and is it more accurate to measure all the frets from the nut  or from fret to fret?

2. Is a Neck through better than a bolt on?

3. What kind of glue do you prefer to use?

4. Which is best, to put the frets on the fret board then put it on the neck or put the frets in after you attach the fretboard.

5. I see some bridges slanted what does that do?

 

Yeah Dianne the bug hit lol...my nails are shot now ..oh well gotta do what you gotta do lol..and my husband told me i had to see a tin he saw...OMG gotta sell my sewing machine and buy a saw lol..Naaaa never happen..

 

Happy New Year everyone!!!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor


Recommended Links & Resources


Discussion Forum

Who Are You?

Started by Susan Hunt. Last reply by TerryB Apr 7, 2014. 72 Replies

My new guitar

Started by Jillian Holladay. Last reply by Cin wel Sep 4, 2013. 2 Replies

The CBG Revolution NEEDS MORE WOMEN!

Started by steven beck. Last reply by steven beck May 10, 2012. 2 Replies

Glass Slide

Started by Louise Coulson. Last reply by PEGGY TRAMBLE Nov 20, 2011. 8 Replies

Why do I think we need a woman's group?

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Dianne Woods Jan 5, 2011. 15 Replies

General Discussion

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Dianne Woods Jan 10, 2010. 5 Replies

2010

Started by Susan Hunt. Last reply by Laurie Lee Campbell Jan 5, 2010. 4 Replies

Is anyone else having this problem?

Started by Zandi Z. Last reply by Zandi Z Dec 23, 2009. 8 Replies

Woman-made video and teaching materials

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Mama Mojo Nov 20, 2009. 3 Replies

Accomplished Women Luthiers (for inspiration!)

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Mama Mojo Nov 19, 2009. 6 Replies

Tools Marketed to Women

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Susan Hunt Nov 18, 2009. 1 Reply

Show off your work!

Started by Mama Mojo Nov 18, 2009. 0 Replies

Blog Posts

Mr. Bells

Posted by Stephen Cohen on September 4, 2021 at 12:30pm 0 Comments

Bookie's Poor Man's Dobro

Posted by Steve Bookout on July 18, 2021 at 2:04pm 3 Comments

Get your groove on for free

Posted by François on July 13, 2021 at 3:05pm 1 Comment

Latest Activity

James Pobog replied to Ben's discussion Wine Box guitar and box airtighness
"Personally, I set pillars in the inside corners and screw to them (though I am far from expert). I…"
5 minutes ago
GARAGE HERMIT liked Uncle John's video
23 minutes ago
Taffy Evans replied to Ben's discussion A big wine box
"Hi again, I have a bit more time now, so this what I would do. I'll leave you to work out the…"
36 minutes ago
Jerry Jordan posted a photo

3x3=9

3 3 strings from St Wishnevsky
43 minutes ago
the anonymous pick commented on CLG's photo
Thumbnail

20210919_115618

"pretty slick bud ."
1 hour ago
Jim Morris liked Cigar Box Blues's discussion - Memorial for Dave Lynas -
1 hour ago
Rope Walker Country Star liked Cigar Box Blues's discussion - Memorial for Dave Lynas -
1 hour ago
James Pobog posted a discussion

Starting to plan for....

...a baritone CBG. I have a big square thin box like Shane's and I'm going to try making another…See More
2 hours ago
sid posted a photo

nat-sherman-1930--my 6th guitar

i have built 6 and this one is my first real cigar box guitar sitting on the fender of my 39…
2 hours ago
Fantacone Box Works posted a photo
2 hours ago
Jim Morris commented on Poorness Studios's video
3 hours ago
Jim Morris commented on Downtown Vinnie's video
Thumbnail

I Shall Be Released

"Mighty fine Vinnie."
3 hours ago

Music

© 2021   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->