Well, I just bought a little (4"x 8" x 2") battery powered Broadcast and Shortwave receiver on Ebay to use for a little amp for my License Plate Guitar.
It belonged to a 95 year old lady in Georgia who passed away.
The radio is working, and seems to be complete except for the antenna.
I'm not sure if it has a phono jack or not- if not I want to wire one with a switch so all the bands work, but I'd like to do it without putting any holes in the radio!
Also I am planning on replacing the capacitors, so I am trying to find a schematic for it. I joined antiqueradios.com and posted there too.
Any help will be appreciated! Haven't done any electronics since grade 9!

Views: 556

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

domnt do anyting, first try to tap in a see if it works, otherwise you might be chasing your tail!...first see if it works the you have to decide to get rid of the am or fm, other wide it will crackle when you play!...its an easy hack, just see if it works for with aligator clips attached to the am or fm leads

hTwo holes (sorry, but necessary). One for switch, one for jack. Find wire that runs from tuner section to on/off volume pot. Cut that wire and connect the tuner side of that wire to one side of a spdt on/on  switch. Connect the positive lead from jack to other side of switch. Middle post of switch connect to the remaining tuner section lead toward on/off volume. Remember to connect jack negative to radio ground. 

Now you have a unit that still operates as a radio, and with flick of switch, its a guitar amp.

Hi, yes, thank- you, that's exactly what I want! I was just reading your thread about your 1964 Philips actually, and was going to message you.
I guess two holes ain't bad, everything will work properly! Hopefully the impedance will be matched from what I've been reading, so it sounds good with the guitar. I'll just be using one neck "Powered By Lace" single coil pick- up.
The radio is still on it's way from Georgia, can't wait for it to get here so I can work on it.
Can still pick up 5 AM stations in the truck in Winnipeg, not sure if they're Canadian or US. In the '80's you could pick up lots of AM stations at night when it wasn't overcast- I'll have to try that again.
Moved back to this God- forsaken place in January 5 years ago from between Charlottetown and Moncton- it's way better at the East Coast!

Winnipeg? Ugh. Lol. I can get a couple US am stations in New York. My thread on the 64 Phillips has a diagram showing what had described.

Monteray,

Having a "flying" cord... clamped to the chassis (hole drilled?) with a female 1/4" phono plug available for your guitar hanging in the rear cabinet, will give you the ease of "plug'in up", the switch part could be had with a 3rd contact in the female 1/4" phono plug. The only issue is that this 3rd contact is available with a logic state of "grounded" with no plug inserted, and un-grounded with the male inserted. That tells me that a relay will be doing the "mode switch" switching. Another possibility that I would prefer is to install another rotary switch with an additional position, and then chassis mount the female 1/4" phono plug with of course coax, that is IF you don't already have an AUX input. antiqueradio.com is a valuable resource, excellent choice.

The radio should receive an alignment at some point, so you can enjoy it as it should be. I would not plug it in until you have the newer 3 wire grounding power cord & the power supply caps replaced. Oh, yes, you'll need a good bench technician as well. Good luck, I'm sure it will sound great, even better some "low Fi" can't hurt as well. Even some bias work on the pre-amp section with a 2 pole rotary switch to work that 40"s tone up a little....thats what I specialize in!

Hi Doug, thanks, but what exactly though is an alignment?
These pictures and this info are from radiomuseum.org:
For model Silvertone 3217 Order=57H 3217, Sears, Roebuck & Co.; Chicago (IL):
Scan from catalog Sears, Roebuck, 1962, page 1245.

Manufacturer / Brand:  Sears, Roebuck & Co.; Chicago (IL)
Brand

Silvertone
Year: 1962 Type: Broadcast Receiver - or past WW2 Tuner
Semiconductors (the count is only for transistors) 8:
Principle Super-Heterodyne (Super in general)
Wave bands Broadcast and Short Wave (SW).
Details
Power type and voltage Dry Batteries
Loudspeaker Permanent Magnet Dynamic (PDyn) Loudspeaker (moving coil) / Ø 2.75 inch = 7 cm
Power out
from Radiomuseum.org Model: Silvertone 3217 Order=57H 3217 - Sears, Roebuck & Co.; Chicago
Material Modern plastics (no Bakelite or Catalin)
Shape Very small Portable or Pocket-Set (Handheld) < 8 inch.
Dimensions (WHD) 8 x 4 x 2 inch / 203 x 102 x 51 mm
Price in first year of sale 32.95 $
Literature/Schematics (2) Sears, Roebuck Catalogs (Silvertone) (Fall/Winter 1962, page 1245.)
Model page created by Noemi Erb. See "Data change" for further contributors.
Attachments:

Radio museum is a great resource for info. The actual voltage requirement is not included, unfortunately. Those used dry cells. But an alkaline alternative will do fine if you can match voltages. I believe the "alignment" has to do with the phase inverting diodes that affect the radio signal to a more usable wave before it passes through the pre amp stage of the circuit. 

Hi Farmer Ted- according to the Sams it is 6v (4 x 1 1/2v B cells)- not sure what size that would be, I'm thinking AA because of the size of the radio.
It must have been an expensive radio in it's day at $32.95, no money down, and $5.00 monthly payments!
I googled Eveready 1015, which was listed under the Sams Battery Replacement Data, and they are AA batteries still listed by Eveready
Attachments:

There ya go, 4 AA batteries, 1.5v each gives the 6v power source, excellent

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Sony not working

Started by Carlo Apr 16, 2021. 0 Replies

Zenith C845

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by James Pobog Nov 22, 2019. 1 Reply

Just got a radio/cassette player--My next move--HELP!!

Started by Andy Busch. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Aug 25, 2019. 3 Replies

Sweet Norwegian Transistor Radio - any tips?

Started by Elliott Fisher. Last reply by GARY KNIGHT Mar 25, 2018. 4 Replies

Battery valve radios

Started by Bird. Last reply by Bird Nov 22, 2016. 6 Replies

3 tube 8 watter Valco style amp with swamp sound

Started by Doug Christensen. Last reply by Doug Christensen Oct 17, 2016. 66 Replies

hey guys just alittle info please

Started by gregory lazorchak. Last reply by Denis U Jul 23, 2016. 3 Replies

Hitachi Transistor Radio with Tape.

Started by David Wilson. Last reply by GARY KNIGHT Jul 4, 2016. 9 Replies

Mini Amp - Where Do I make Connections? What is missing?

Started by Brian Revels. Last reply by daniel clarke May 13, 2016. 1 Reply

Car radio Amp

Started by Orcabait. Last reply by GARY KNIGHT May 10, 2016. 1 Reply

1962 Silvertone Medalist 3217

Started by Monterey. Last reply by Scott aka Farmer Ted Apr 3, 2015. 11 Replies

New jack in an old radio

Started by White Raven. Last reply by Scott aka Farmer Ted Mar 30, 2015. 3 Replies

Suitcase Amp

Started by Gary Ross. Last reply by Gary Ross Jan 26, 2015. 4 Replies

Arvin 8 Transistor AM radio...

Started by Corbin. Last reply by Corbin Jan 15, 2015. 11 Replies

Low volume with your Hacked Radio --- Amp

Started by Corbin. Last reply by Corbin Jan 12, 2015. 4 Replies

DIY amp question

Started by Greg Thompson. Last reply by Greg Thompson Jan 10, 2015. 2 Replies

1964 Philips AM/FM Radio to guitar amp project

Started by Scott aka Farmer Ted. Last reply by Scott aka Farmer Ted Jan 8, 2015. 4 Replies

Thank you beetle juice!

Started by Greg Thompson. Last reply by Jim Quinlan Nov 6, 2014. 5 Replies

Preamps

Started by John Newman. Last reply by 3 String Blues Aug 21, 2014. 3 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Flathead Diddley Bow

"Thanks. Wow! That becomes a spendy box Alan. They are pretty distinctive though. I have a few on…"
3 hours ago
Nigel McTrustry posted a video

Nigel McTrustry & The Hound Dogs are Loose! - Yellow Dog - Live - Original - Cigar Box Guitar

Nigel McTrustry & The Hound Dogs are Loose! Yellow Dog (McTrustry)@ The Cave Inn Brisbane, Australia.The song is currently on Spotify.
3 hours ago
AGP # commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Flathead Diddley Bow

""Sweet Doug" :-), have seen quite a few Flathead Builds over the years, great looking…"
6 hours ago
AGP # liked David Dodt's photo
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
AGP # liked Doug Thorsvik's photo
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
AGP # liked Aaron Green's photo
6 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Gary O'slide's video
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
7 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->