From what I've read so far, it seems that if no preamps are used, then using 2 piezos in parallel will improve impedance matching and in turn give better tone and volume. When 2 piezos are used in this way, they  are generally the discs.

Would the same effect be obtained by using a piezo rod(under saddle) in parallel with a piezo disc placed elsewhere?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The piezo rod is several piezos wired in parallel. Each piezo you add cuts the impedance in half. So adding a disc piezo should cut the impedance in half again.

However, if you already have several piezos in the circuit (assuming it's 3 for example), adding a 4th one will have a smaller effect because it's 1/2 of 1/2 of 1/2  or 1/8. So it's going to make it sound 1/8 better.

That all being said, I would be interested in hearing the results of your experiment.

• I have now wired the rod and disc in parallel, but added a switch to switch the disc in or out. The result is the switch acts like a gain switch, because not only is it louder with the disc in circuit, but the disc itself has a lot higher output than the rod, so it is hard to detect any sound from the rod when the 2 are in circuit. However, I think the rod contributes subtly to the overall tone, which I think is quite pleasing. Thanks.

• Mike,

So it worked. Kewlsville.
  • Try it and see...;-)
    • looks like I'll have to. Thanks

This reply was deleted.