Greetings Again Nation......

Another question for those who dabble with scarf joints for the headstock/neck: I don't use power tools exept my dremmel and drill so all my cuts are by hand. But my scarf joint cuts are uneven and require a lot of extra work to make them look decent. Any suggestions on the best type of hand saw to get a straighter/cleaner cut? I've tried a coping saw, laminate saw, a Stanley "Fine Finish" hand saw, and even a hack saw. The only thing left to try that I can see would be one of those Japanese style double-edged saws, or possibly a box saw (which look a lot like the aforementioned Stanley saw). A miter box doesn't give me the angle I need/want for the cuts (looking at 12-15 degree angles). Any thoughts? Unfortunately I don't have access to a table/band/scroll saw- otherwise I'd make my cuts and call it a day!

Any and all comments welcome and appreciated!

Views: 6216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rand, thanks for the info.the pictures explain alot.some good ideas.one more thing if you could.They are about1" to 3cm. wide. can you tell me how deep(thick)they are? they look pretty strong.I would like to make a few like these instead of using scarf joints. Bizzaro 

Hi Bizzaro,

Again, the cherry trim wood I use is 3cm wide and 0.5cm thick. I glue (laminate) two pieces together, clap them down to dry for an hour or so, then glue on the next layer, repeating this process until I have 6 or 7 layers (boards) laminated together. If 6, then the neck width will be 6 times 0.5 cm or 3.0 cm wide, so, in this case the neck is 3cm wide and 3cm deep. Then I file and sand the edges of the neck until smooth, so this slightly reduces the neck depth by 1 or 2 mm. Then,when forming the headstock, I'm careful to orient the neck so that the laminated boards are oriented vertically for maximum strength. Also, when I cut the individual boards that make up the neck, I number them in pencil, then orient each board so that the grain direction or curvature is reversed wen compared to the previous layer, a practice that also adds to neck strength. Hopefully, I answered your question.

-Rand.

Rand, Now I get it,thanks for your time and help.Seems my head is thicker than than your necks. I will try some of your methods. Bizzaro

Hi All.

On most of the scarf joints that I've done, I used a tenon saw to make the cut followed by wood rasps to even ot the cut. However, on a couple of wider necks I did, found I ran out of "bite space" on the saw because of the "backbone" that runs down the back of these saws (which gives the blade more strength ans stability when cutting). In both cases I had to turn the work piece over and cut from the other side hoping to meet in the middle with a clean cut. Needless to say, the cuts didn't turn out that well, so I had to file them more than usual to allow the joint to fit properly. After that, I went out and bought what I'd describe as a "tall bladed tenon saw". I don't know its real name, but it kind of looks like a tenon saw with the same kind and size saw teeth, and the "backbone", but the saw blade is 35cm long and 10cm tall. I find it cuts just as well and w/o having to flip you work piece over and saw fom the other side. The brand name on the saw it "Atomic", which I believe is a Chinese company. The rasp I use is a "4-in-1" hobbyist rasp that I think I bought at Sears a year or two ago. It is my favorit rasp among the dozen rasps and files I have.

Also, I've found its best to "stack" the head and tail pieces together as shown in the following diagram to get the best fit for the scarf joint.

Just take your time making the scarf cut with your tenon saw as clean as possible, then come back with a rough wood rasp, then a finer wood file, then maybe a a sanding block with course then medium sandpaper. Also, you must take care when gluing the two pieces together that the two pieces don't slip when you clamp them together, and be sure clamping pressure is even on both sides of the neck. Scarf joints get easier with practice. Good luck.

-Rand.

Rand,

Thanks very much for the drawing; very useful.

You're welcome.

-Rand.

Rand, the size of tenon saw you are describing is about the usual size...anything smaller isn't what most people would recognise as a regular tenon saw.

With any sort of woodworking skill, it takes time and practice to master, so getting a saw to cut straight & true and planing /sanding a nice flat surface won't necessarily go right first time. The other tools you need are a good try-square and a steel straight edge.

With critical joints like this, I often mark lightly over the the mating surfaces with a broad pencil scribble before doing the final sanding so that I can see if I'm leaving any low spots...once all the pencil marks are sanded away you should be left with a flat surface..but keep checking with your straightedge. Don't rely on a plastic or wooden rule, make sure you have good steel rule and look after it...don't let it get bent or marred with sharp tools.

It will seem like a lot of work first time, but the more you do the easier it will become.

I like your idea about broad pencil scribbling and sanding to find any remaining low spots. Will have to give it a try next time.

The two older "tenon saws" I have are 25cm long by 4.5cm tall (they differ slightly with teeth size/spacing), and when I think of "tenon saw" it's these "shorter" saws that come to mind. My newer 10cm tall saw has more than twice the bite depth of the old ones, and so make a better choice if doing wider neck scarf joints. I do work with steel metric rulers and squares.

Thanks for your feedback, John.

-Rand.

Bowed Dulci / CelloHere`s a pocket peghead, one of my favorites. I use a dremel router.

Butternut Tree Limb Neck BuildOr you can make a neck from a tree limb with a natural angled peghead. the neck on this build was made from a butternut tree limb like in the background. Something fun about makin a neck with a chainsaw....lol.

Butternut Tree Limb Neck Dulci-joAll natural angled peghead

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Gary O'slide posted a video
1 hour ago
T-Gripped liked Darryl Tuttle's photo
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on J. D. Woods's photo
Thumbnail

Current Instrument Line-Up

"That is a mighty fine answer and not too lengthy considering all the information you…"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Thanks Uncle John! I’m always delighted when other Slingers choose it to play."
6 hours ago
J. D. Woods commented on J. D. Woods's photo
Thumbnail

"Hi Uncle John, Ha, ha!! So glad you asked, I wondered when somebody was gonna notice! I'll try…"
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #530 - ''Pink Floyd''

"Colorfull Build  AGP # the last colorfull song they will  ever build ,the feud is going…"
13 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

Jose Cuervo | Shelly West cover on 4-string CBG

"its good to hear you are part of the "Old Content" did not get any of this ,but you…"
13 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Good morning UJ ,How are you ? hope you are fine! i did say "CrossRoads",Blues Rock its a…"
13 hours ago
18 hours ago
Thumbnail

"Nice line up.  Unusual pick guard on the big git that looks like a Martin.  What is that…"
18 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

Four projects

"Nice, nice trio."
19 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->