Meet the Savart's Wheel, a tuned rasp instrument performed by legendary instrument inventor, Bart Hopkin.  There are thirty discs placed on a rotating spindle, each with ridges placed on the edges.  Hopkin uses hand-held styrofoam cups with plastic plectrums as the means of playing/amplifying the notes.  (Styrofoam is a great resonating material!)

Enjoy the irritating sounds as Hopkin plays Somewhere Over the Rainbow!  (We're hoping that he records a Christmas album on the Savart's Wheel someday...)

Learn more about the Savart's Wheel by visiting Bart Hopkin's website.

A note from Shane Speal:  Bart Hopkin's work has been highly influential in my study of DIY instruments.  The back issues of his now out-of-print magazine, "Experimental Musical Instruments" are an essential resource. This book contains all of the canjo-building how-to info that Ben "Gitty" Baker has gleaned over almost a decade of building these fun, easy-to-play instruments. Canjos are one of the easiest homemade instruments to build, and now you have all of the how-to guidance you need right at your fingertips! This guide is chock-full of detailed color photos and diagrams to walk you through each step of canjo-building.

How to Build a Canjo - $9.99

Views: 2685

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am pretty sure that with some effort, I could improve the design.

Getting the drum to run true and reduce "wow" and "flutter" would be a start. Then changing to a drum of infinitely varying diameter instead of steps.

Color coding zones for pitch reference might be a good thing.

I am confident I could improve the results to at minimum, the level of horrible. LOL!

Interesting concept, from a thinking man. Dig it.

Thanks for the morning laugh

holy hell... it's like screaming puppies nails on a chalkboard.   Good for him!  Glad I don't HAVE to listen to it...

It deserves a spot on the Steve Allen show...

Almost as irritating as my wife on a relentless rant about my cbg's?

Too funny. You better hope she doesn't see this post or you'll be making a lot of replacement gits. Haha

... I LIKED IT!! :)

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Cbg snare

Started by Matt Schaller in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by BrianQ. 6 hours ago. 7 Replies

fret cutting jig

Started by Alan Dillard in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Geordie Hillbilly 16 hours ago. 2 Replies

The first sale

Started by Blues Frog in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Blues Frog on Wednesday. 4 Replies

Tap Tuning

Started by Ken I in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat on Wednesday. 6 Replies

Blog Posts

3. German CBG Festival

Posted by Markus Gaiser on September 16, 2018 at 3:42pm 1 Comment

..absolute authenticity!

Posted by billy jones bluez on August 18, 2018 at 10:30pm 0 Comments

Other woodwork

Posted by Tom E on August 16, 2018 at 5:00pm 4 Comments

kannel/ kantele (Baltic psaltery)

Posted by Tom E on August 16, 2018 at 1:00pm 4 Comments

Latest Activity

StorminSteve liked single string sideshow's video
3 minutes ago
Norbert commented on Norbert's video
Thumbnail

Song without name. Any ideas? ;-)

"Loook here:http://www.original-flatpup.com/index.phpBut this is not my side, Andries, the flats are…"
13 minutes ago
Norbert posted a status
"Look here: http://www.original-flatpup.com/index.php this is not my side,Andries, the flats are from Elmar Zeilhofer/ Vienna."
17 minutes ago
single string sideshow commented on single string sideshow's video
24 minutes ago
George Shannon Hagerman liked Cpt. Nemoff's video
27 minutes ago
Andries D. EKER commented on Norbert's video
Thumbnail

"`Foot Stomping`Howdown ! was on your site for a original flat pup ,did not see any price? need…"
29 minutes ago
George Shannon Hagerman liked Matt Schaller's video
34 minutes ago
Andries D. EKER commented on Cpt. Nemoff's video
Thumbnail

Чукотский кавер на "Come Together"

"Shaman Indeed! grooving up slowly  fav instruments ,drums , mouthharp, diggerido, CBG ! great…"
35 minutes ago
Norbert posted a video

Original Flatpup (Elmar Zeilhofer/ Vienna)
36 minutes ago
Andries D. EKER commented on single string sideshow's video
Thumbnail

single string sideshow - last impression

"ElectricHobo laying in human waste, come and try a little taste ! eazy peazy! "
40 minutes ago
Andries D. EKER commented on BUGGY (C)'s video
Thumbnail

Highway 51 revisited mix

"Fast & Raw ! Just how we like it ! "
44 minutes ago
Andries D. EKER commented on Andries D. EKER's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_1139

"Neighbourday baking contest my son and i enter the spiral cooky we won second prize, the lemon cake…"
51 minutes ago

Events

Music

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service