Hello, I'm making my first cigar box guitar, actually a wine box guitar 

a few pictures :

As you can see the end of my neck is beveled, but not in the common way

Can I do the holes for the strings following this bevel ? I've never seen that on a cigar box

thank you ;)

And sorry for my english I'm french

17072012518.jpg

17072012519.jpg

18072012522.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ludo,

your English is very good, in fact I would have thought it was your fist language.   What are your plans for the other end of the neck or headstock?  

I increase my break angle with a tension bar (made up that one).  I use this at the top or bottom of my guitars.

btw I’m just laying out a wine box build.  I hope you can appreciate that it is likely a California wine box.  Just kidding

2650072612?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Thank you, so comparing to pinewood or maple, ayou is very tender..

My cigar box is almost finish, pictures soon

• Ok, I will put the strings this week end but the wood I used for the neck is really easy to shape so I think it's not strong enough

Will the pine fingerboard save my neck or I have to put a sort of truss rod

I hope not because I don't have the tools to make the truss rod bed

The neck is made of "ayou", don't no if there a translation

thanks for your answers ;)

• I put 3 strings with around 14mm spaces, I think it's good to play

• My guitar is almost finish, but I don't know how many space put between the strings ?

• I use 3 strings spaced 12-13mm apart on a fingerboard that's 40-42mm wide (the exact distances are more down to chance than science) . Both the fingerboard and strings are parallel - i.e. no taper from the bridge to the nut.

It's really a matter of personal preference. Some people like narrower fingerboards and string spacing while some prefer wider. Just go with what looks and feels right for you. 

• Well, I'd put 3 spaces between 4 strings, or 2 spaces between 3... ;-)

I personally find the ukulele string spacing quite comfortable. Something like 9-11mm at the nut and 11-13 at the bridge. But my fingerboard is 4cm wide. Your mileage may vary...

• So I do this one with my feeling ;)

And the next will be better

• Ok

I'm working hard, I'll show you pictures soon

This reply was deleted.