Replies

• I did a maple neck with no finish and, although I've played it enough to develop some very smooth shiny spots, overall it just looks dirty.

Now I use Howard Feed-N-Wax . It contains orange oil and if you use it on a stained neck it will remove some of the stain which gives an aged look. Just be aware that you'll need to stain a little darker than the final shade you're looking for. I'd suggest testing on a piece of scrap. Over time the wax will get a little dull and dirty but you can clean and renew it with a little more Feed-N-Wax.

• Nope, never. Just hand sand my Pine necks until all corners and edges are gone and I'm done. contributes to the rustic feel of the guitar.

• I always use some sort of finish as it brings the wood alive, by enhancing the beauty of the grain. To keep that look I apply finish, I don't want to lose it to grim and perspiration build up. 

Taff

• Gotta have a little stain, then leave'em alone.

• Another unfinished finish is a light toasting with a heat gun or torch.  I like both coffee and vinegar/steel wool but both raise the grain and are pretty rough without a finish. Torching smoothes it a bit though while looking aged.

•  A very light sanding takes care of  any "furry" raised grain  feel  from  coffee / vinegar , stain etc  ..  afterwards .  and adds a bit to  the aged look.

• Many times I just stain em  with strong  instant coffee . 3  spoonfulls in a half cup of water .  nuke it for 30 secs  and apply .  decide if you wanna re apply .  or   touch spot some areas  .  

That and the vinegar and steel wool thing are the 2 methods that  look closest  to  an unfinished look , but already  aged .  

• Yea, you’ll certainly get that old guitar patina faster, I have seen cbg’s without any finish. I think most of us have to go that extra mile on the finish just b’cuz we can’t resist making them look pretty. 

This reply was deleted.