Building to sell

I went to a CBG Facebook page.  Hoo boy.

I saw a lot of posts saying basically, "This is my X hundredth build and it's for sale!"  Then they name a price.  A price for which I can go pick up a very, very nice "real" guitar.  My questions.

At what point do CBGs quit being a hobby and become a business?  And what makes a CBG command $500 to $600 on the low end?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Many of the best CBG's can be had for $300 or less.,Those ones Johnny Depp buys are about $1600.,.,

I sell piezo powered for $65 , mag pup builds $20 more.,.,

Looking on Ebay, I have seen ones around $1800, from a dude on this site.,.,another dude building ones from logs of Robert Johnson's cabin.,.,$4000 each,..,so expensive builds are out there.,.,but truly you have hundreds of choices.,., the even have Chinese built ones now.,,.

For me.,.,hobby only.,.,I could do it as a business, but where is the fun in that.,.,???

• I guess you can price your CBGs anywhere you want. That doesn't mean that they ever sell for that amount. I know that there is one custom builder in California that has clients such as Paul McCartney and his guitars command a very high price. I figure Johnny Depp would also be a high end client. After celebs, I don't know who would be a buyer for a $500+ CBG.

Take a look on eBay and you'll find CBGs priced from $50 and up. The quality will be all over the board as is the pricing. But nothing in the $500 range.

If you want to see some good quality CBGs and realistic prices, try to attend one of the CBG festivals that are staged each summer around the country.

In the end, a produce is worth whatever people are willing to pay. That being said, I wouldn't quit your day job expecting to knock down six figure income from CBG sales.
This reply was deleted.