We are pleased to announce the

2013 Cigar Box Guitar Builders Challenge!

The contest begins immediately. The deadline for submissions is midnight, December 31, 2013.

A winner will be announced the first part of January, 2014.

This year the theme will be:

Steampunk

From Urban Dictionary: Steampunk is a subgenre of speculative fiction, usually set in an anachronistic Victorian or quasi-Victorian alternate history setting. It could be described by the slogan "What the past would look like if the future had happened sooner." It includes fiction with science fiction, fantasy or horror themes.

More on Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Contest Rules:

• One submission per person.
  • Each submission shall be an instrument of the builder's own construction and overall design.
  • The instrument shall prominently and visibly feature a cigar box in the design.
  • Each builder will submit up to five pictures of their creation. No videos please till after the judging is complete.
  • Entries must be submitted no later than midnight December 31, 2013.
  • Builders shall post the pictures of their instruments in the separate "Contest Submission Thread."
  • Builders should include descriptions of their work, including any technical details such as features, materials used, or any other information they feel would assist the judges in reviewing the submission.

Once the submission period ends, all comments in the submission thread from other CBN members will be deleted to make it easier for the judges to review the entries. The judges will review the pictures and select a winner.

The decision of the judges is final.

We will notify everyone of who the judges will be once we get that list finalized. We try to have 3-5 judges on the panel.

Do NOT post your entries or pictures in this thread!

There will be a separate thread for submissions so we can keep all the entries in one place.

You can post your entries HERE!

Good luck and have fun!!

Here is a link to last year's contest in case you have not seen it yet.

2012 Builders Contest

PRIZE LIST

First Prize - $250 value

A pack of prize items from C. B. Gitty's Store worth at least $250

Second Prize - $125 value

A pack of prize items from C. B. Gitty's Store worth at least $125 in value

Third Prize - $75 value

A pack of prize items from C. B. Gitty's Store worth at least $75 in value

Fourth Prize - $50 value

A pack of prize items from C. B. Gitty's Store worth at least $50 in value

Views: 5698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

!!!!!!! IM IN !!!!!!!!

hey real quick on rule #3 Does the logo need to be visibly seen or can i sand it off and paint it ?

The judges have the final say so, but if you want to sand it off, you can. But you might want to make sure that you can prove to the judges that you did, in fact, make it out of a cigar box.

ok ,Thanks Dan .

Its a Padilla box so i may paint it and just leave the side logo alone . should be enough .

I'm in on this and have a little head start.  The glue is still wet, so not a lot of a head start, but at least I stand a good chance of finishing it before the end of the contest.  Haha.

Please post your submission entries in this Submission Thread

Think creatively.  It may win the prize.  Steampunk is popularly interpreted with all the associated trinkets and goggles and gears and bits and bobs, but doesn't have to be that at all.  Think of a way to get it done on the budget you have.  That's an essential element of what CBGs are about.  Do it with whatchagot.

Trash bins. Back of Home Depot or Lowe's. They toss all kinds of stuff. Construction sites. Go to a local cigar shop, tell em what you wanna do, beg a box. Find some cast off lumber in a dumpster. Ask for guitar part donations from friends at the mission, your church, anyone you meet. Get creative.
Mud,

I'm good, long as we keep it platonic ;-). Don't want my wife to worry.
Good on yer. Now git divng!

i have an absolute zero budget but im in . i build they way they used to with crap i find .

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"thanks kale !yup that shaker sure keeps the groove going , and this LACE is my fender in the CBG…"
9 minutes ago
AGP # liked Ghostbuttons's photo
1 hour ago
AGP # commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"A while in the making, But!, well worth the wait, another outstanding one off Randy Bretz Build,…"
1 hour ago
AGP # liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
1 hour ago
AGP # liked Dar Stellabotta's video
1 hour ago
Randy S. Bretz posted a photo

Off the Bench !

Top neck - 23" 018p,028,038 / Bottom neck - 28" 018p,030,044,056.
1 hour ago
BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Wooden Guitar Slides from Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Demo!!!!

"They actually sound great, but I like the fact that they won’t break if you drop em! "
4 hours ago
Carl Floyd liked Moritz Voegeli's discussion Joseph J. Rogowski about Current Based Pickup Design
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Wooden Guitar Slides from Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Demo!!!!

"Great Sliding ! But to be honest i dont hear that much a differens,  beleave the Glass is a…"
11 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"thanks AGP;# ! much appriciated !"
12 hours ago
Crazed Fandango added a discussion to the group Introduce Yourself!
Thumbnail

Better late than never...

After joining this forum in 2014, I finally have my 1st CBG which my wife bought for me at the…See More
14 hours ago
Bernie Edwards liked J. D. Woods's photo
14 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->