A fairly productive day. I got one of my favorite standard CBG builds completed for use as a test platform and wound a few variations of my baseline design. I picked up 4 different magnet sizes and so far have experimented with 2. So far I've wound 7 different coils ranging from severe under wound to slightly overwound.
Below is the test platform. It a pretty strait forward build geared toward electric rather than acoustic output. No sound holes and the top of the box mates up tight against the neck underneath.
A bit of gaffers tape along with a temporary bone bridge and its almost ready to go. The action is still set a bit high but I'm not going to attempt any further adjustment until I fabricate a final bridge assembly.
The last set of pickups I built today started with a smaller magnet 1"x1/4"x1/4". The first one I under wound to just over 2500 turns. Output was somewhat weak but not as low as I might have imagined.
I put a penny on top as a reference so you will get an idea as to how small it is.
I've wax potted two of the pickups I liked the best and have the larger one installed and playing. Decent, solid bass performance and a bright top end. I would like to be able to get just a bit more distance from the strings to see if where the high end settles down but not with this instrument.
This week, I'll try to record and post some clips both clean and overdriven.