Replies

• Zero fret to 12th fret is half of the scale length. Place bridge at 2X of that length and dial her in from there as other posters suggest.
  • Intonation is set at the bridge when you use a zero fret.

• Gene -
    Should be the same process as a guitar with a nut. The zero fret becomes the nut as far as scale length is concerned (and matching the open string to the 12th fret) and the nut is only there to guide the strings in that case.

Ron 

• thank you for your help .

• Is this for a fretted instrument?  It's actually the same way you do if using a traditional nut.

- I first tune up.
    - I check the harmonics at the 12th fret.
    - If they ring true then I fret the twelfth fret.
    * If it is sharp then I move the bride back (if able to) or I try to lower the strings at the bridge. 
    * It is flat, then I do the opposite (try to move the bridge closer to the neck).

I do this for all of the strings. If you fret other frets and they are off once you get this set... then it could be your action is still too high (and by fretting you are pulling the notes sharp), or your frets could be off a bit.

Hopefully this helps.  I have gotten to where I use a pop-rivet post for a nut on my fretted builds.  It's cheap, convenient, and lends itself to fairly low action for me.

• thank you for your help .

This reply was deleted.