Hubcap.

I want to use an old Holden hubcap (metal) instead of a cigarbox. I was wondering if it would be better using two hubcaps like Seasick Steve, or use one but cover the back with wood and mount the pickups etc on the flat wooden top? If I have the hubcap out with say wood at the back would the acoustics be better? The neck and head have already been made from an old English Oak bed head.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• G'day Tom, the Holden hubcaps I used are from the HQ - HZ series. Will try and upload the various photos.

Hub 1.jpg

hub4.jpg

hub5.jpg

• More Photos

Hub Fin.jpg

• looking great...what does it sound like?

• Surprisingly, it doesn't have the tinny sound I expected. Really does sound good. No sound hole, but a 16th inch gap around the circumference, plus a bottle cap piezo beneath the bridge in the framework.

• Al mine are off a '72 HT ute I had. Your's looks way cool. I like the way you used the spiked nuts too. The wood looks like Jarrah?

• The neck is Merbau, also known as swamp mahogany, grown in both Indonesia and North Queensland, available at Bunning's as screening timber. You don't need to to do anything to it but check the grain and as most of it is finger jointed, you need to be able to find lengths where the joints won't interfere with your plans - and reasonably priced.

• They are great photos Al, I am about to embark on the same project as Tom. Have been delaying because wasn't quite sure how to attach the neck..got it now. cheers from another aussie with holden hub caps. ( I am in Trafalgar, Victoria)

• I made a tele style cbg head stock out or a very cool piece of wood (type unknown) with a natural bark side edge.  My problem is that the standard tuners wont clear the extra width? (I already drilled the holes to the template) Does anyone make tuners with longer tuning arms?  Maybe 1/4" to 3/8" longer?  

This reply was deleted.