Decoupage...

Hullo one and all.I'm going to decoupage a box for a CBG and I would like some advice on whether to decoupage the box first and then cut out the necessary holes,etc or cut out the holes first and then paper it.....Any thoughts would be appreciated.....

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Pretty cool Sean, I also like your idea of the old photo visible thru the sound hole!
  • The last Dulcimer I made was decoupaged with tree leaves...I cut the holes and dressed the box first and then did the decoupage.  Once I had it all done and it was dried I used a very sharp xacto blade to cut the trimmings away from the holes.  What are you using to decoupage?  If you want to go the cheap cheap route just mix regular old white glue with water.

• 'I'm going to use PVA glue,Sean which I've been told is one of the best things to use and I happen to have some in the shed.I will take the advice I've been given from wiser heads than mine and cut the holes,etc first.When it's finished,i will post some pics of it...Many thank's,guy's...

• Yeah thats good it acts as a varnish too.....you can dye the pva as well...with water based wood dyes or colored ink...worth experimenting on various techniques...you could really dye the pva so the decoupage is just visible...also the pva will harden to a shell so you wont loose any vibration in the box

• I'll give that a try,Rob.So many CBG'S to do,so little time! It's a true addiction....

• Yep I know ...but learning all these techniques is good for the soul...the more time you take on the detail the more the guitar comes to life...feathers on a bird!

• Sean, any chance you can post a photo of the dulcimer with the leaves? Sounds really interesting.
    • Sorry, it took me some time to respond…Here's the pics.  When I said white glue I meant PVA and that's what I used on this dulcimer…It worked well, but I did get some bubbling and I don't know if that was from something about the leaves or if I just didn't mix right or what...

CIMG4740.JPG

CIMG4744.JPG

CIMG4741.JPG

• Thanks for that,MadGomer.I think i'll do a little experimenting using both methods on a couple of old surplus box's and see how it pans out....

• I concur with Mr Gomer!!!....cut out all the holes for hard wear etc  then cut round the holes with a sharp scalpel

This reply was deleted.