Replies

• I use the wire from old Christmas mini lights. Enough wire in one strand to make hundreds of CBGs. 

• Good idea. Everybody has some old lights that don't work lying around.

• I buy the mini usb cables for cellphones at the DOLLAR TREE, they are shielded.

• Pickups are usually wound with 40 or 42 gauge enamel coated wire.

30 gauge being larger passes current more easily so would need more length to get to a given resistance potentially ending in a physically large pickup.

Current through a pickup coil is on the order of milliamps so larger wire for current capacity really isn't needed.

The advantage of enamel coated wire is that stripping involves a lighter and steel wool to clean off the burnt enamel. It is only necessary to remove the enamel from the ends for soldering.

Antique Electronic Supply has small rolls of magnet wire for $7-$8 a roll.

• Robert is right, most pickups are wound with 42, 43 or 44 gauge wire. Smaller wire makes a stronger coil, so the larger 30 gauge wire would not be recommended by most pickup winders. Pickup type can play a factor in wire size as well. Remember that just because it can work, doesn't mean it's the best way to do it.

• I'm asking about hookup wire. I ain't about to wind my own pickups yet...

• Sorry for the mix up.

I use the Coaxial wires from video/audio RCA type cables. It's a good size shielded wire to keep noise down and provides your signal wire and ground wire all in one.

• Details please. You mean regular coax?

• It's the 1 video and 2 audio hook up cables for DVD/Blueray/VCR players. They are Coaxle wires(1 insulated wire for signal wrapped by a bare standed ground wire for shielding). I get a pack on the cheap(3wires) at walmart or dollar stores for around 3 bucks or less and there's enough to wire 2 or more guitars depending on size and components involved. They help keep everything neat and looking like a rats nest. ;)3674728169?profile=RESIZE_710x

This reply was deleted.