Do you like the round feel on the neck ?or the squair feel?
The most common you see passing by on the nation is 2x4 !
Neck shaping do we do it ? or do we leave it?

Views: 866

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello UJ ! thanks for your feedback ! do you play more 3-4 string necks? cose when you have the six (who tends to bee wider ) somehow you grip on to the neck in a differend way ,me i dont tend to grip them at all specialy whit slide,(the 3- 4 that is ) and whit the sixer's i have on the slide on the pinky ,use the tumb for the low E and in chord play do grip the neck ( bar chords), can this be a reason?

I use spokeshaves and rasps...ala Chickenbone John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHxSqGqN0RM

I do agree there Craig ,somehow the hand needs to feel something round and smooth, the playing tend to go better aswell !

Thanks Mark for that video link thats the way to do it ! the vice is one of my main tools in shaving a neck aswell Thanks for the comments ! Appriciated !

For 6 string guitars I've always liked the C shape. My BO Diddly build that I recently built I made a Soft V shaped neck. It's really comfortable and was a option on a lot of old Fender guitars.

For my CBG style guitars(mostly 4 string) I've used a D shape or Soft V shape. I've also tried to take more material off the neck on the finger side, so it's a bit odd shaped but works well.

Thanks Paul for your Feedback ! it good to hear that people exspiriment whit necks & Shapes, that how inovations come about ,otherwise whe whoed still be stuck whit those two by four sanded downs!

True that.

My basic need for a fine Neck, in tool perspectif!

You got your chisels & files the shaves, big spoke shave & small your sqair box ,sander handdrill and gauge  ,some sweat from the brow (or back) handy hands determanation to do a fine job on a sturdy neck for years of fun ,o and my scoice of wood.oak mahogany lemon, cedar& asch. or just plain deal!

I've settled on ripping the playing portion of the neck down to 1.5", plenty for three strings and 4 will fit too. Then I use a router and a 1/2" radius bit on the playing area where I want a radius. A little sanding at the body and headstock and you're done. Very comfortable, quick and easy.

Mark

Thanks for your contribution Mark from Smoking guitars !,in general it usualy is ,quick & easy, but sometime you go out of your way and do a little exsta and thats when giving some thought on the shape of the neck and overall feel of it will give more long term satisfaction when that curve & feel is just right ,and it looks better to! but on the other hand, i have some builds that i just had to do whit what was afaileble on the moment that was maybee to small and as long as the sound is to your liking the playebillety comes second !

The only bad things about a router is tear-out from dull bits, going the wrong way with the grain or just the way the wood grain reacts to a fast cutting bit.

A good sharp spoke shave, small plane, heavy file or scrapper is what I use most often. It takes longer, but you don't end up with any "Ooopps!" or "AwwSh*@!" moments unless you really have trouble with tools. Practice with whatever tools your using on scrapes of the types of wood your using first before moving on to the real project.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Taffy Evans yesterday. 8 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. liked Gary O'slide's video
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Flathead Diddley Bow

"Thanks. Wow! That becomes a spendy box Alan. They are pretty distinctive though. I have a few on…"
8 hours ago
Nigel McTrustry posted a video

Nigel McTrustry & The Hound Dogs are Loose! - Yellow Dog - Live - Original - Cigar Box Guitar

Nigel McTrustry & The Hound Dogs are Loose! Yellow Dog (McTrustry)@ The Cave Inn Brisbane, Australia.The song is currently on Spotify.
8 hours ago
AGP # commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Flathead Diddley Bow

""Sweet Doug" :-), have seen quite a few Flathead Builds over the years, great looking…"
10 hours ago
AGP # liked David Dodt's photo
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
AGP # liked Doug Thorsvik's photo
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
AGP # liked Aaron Green's photo
10 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Gary O'slide's video
11 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->