When it comes to Seattle busking legend, Artis the Spoonman, Pete Seeger said he was "the best spoonplayer in the universe."  After watching the video below, we agree.

Artis the Spoonman has been playing spoons as an art form since 1972, many years before Soundgarden had their 1994 hit about him.  He's collaborated with Frank Zappa, David Sandborn along with many others, too. 

Today, you'll probably find him performing on the streets at Pike Place in Seattle, busking alongside fellow musicians.

After watching the video below, check out ArtisTheSpoonman.net for more spoon goodness.  Note: Artis is performing with Reggie Miles in this video.  Reggie is playing a homemade dobro he built himself.  Some internal parts include a wooden baseball bat.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• See also Abby the Spoon Lady.

Pretty awesome stuff! Abby

As a kid i related spoons playing to appalachian music heritage. But its background is more complex than that i now know.

• Awesome ! I remember my parents, who grew up during the Depression trying to explain "Playing the Spoons" when I was a kid. For years ,I believed it must only been an English thing but it may have originated in Ireland as "Playing the Bones" ... Which I have always associated with Minstrelsy .

Anyway , great video and if you like this, check out Don Flemons of the Carolina Chocolate Drops. He plays bones & is also an awesome banjo player :-)

This reply was deleted.