Hi, over on the Building 101 site, Rich Butters asked about plans for a 3-4 string CBG, I could not work out how to address that to him on that page [whatever its called] as there was no Add+ button as I could see so it would have landed away from his posted question. so I will address it to him here.

Hi Rich, when I first started building CBG's, I had no one to ask about the subject at that time, and had no cigar boxes either. However I did know how stringed instruments worked, I knew what was important in their construction and sound output, and the easy part was I knew what a box looked like. I started as an apprentice making boxes, but that's another story.

I don't know how to share these plans, as basic as they are, other than to show you a photo or two. you know what a box looks like, you really just need the dimensions, and some assembly detail.

The size of the box I settled on after making quite a few cbgs was/is 113/4 x 71/4x 21/2" all internal measurements, [complete with plans for each prototype] that's what is shown here.

I made a video some years ago of the building process, its pretty basic beginners stuff, but my son had his first cbg assembled and playable in a Sunday afternoon after viewing it. 

This not what you were looking for but best I can do

Taff

I should mention that I do play around this different sizes, but keep close to this ratio.

Views: 40

Reply to This

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Free Cigar Box Tablature Library

Started by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by the snowwalker 4 hours ago. 14 Replies

Tuner screws (screwed)

Started by KOOL DOG HOOCH in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by KOOL DOG HOOCH 5 hours ago. 5 Replies

r.e. testbed...

Started by James Pobog in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by James Pobog on Saturday. 17 Replies

PDF Download: Woodshop Certificate

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Taffy Evans on Saturday. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Arthur Gilde commented on Arthur Gilde's photo
Thumbnail

3 String No 2

"@Chris Wharton ok now I see I can do it here ;) So here you go"
41 minutes ago
Slowpaw Steve T posted a discussion
42 minutes ago
Thumbnail

3 String No 2

"@Chris Wharton it is semi solid, I don't bend the sides. It is a chambered solid piece of wood…"
46 minutes ago
Thumbnail

3 String No 1

"@Jerry Jordan scale length is 24.75""
49 minutes ago
Danny Boy Davidson commented on Clarky's video
Thumbnail

How To Play Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd on Cigar Box Guitar

"Alright!..im amazed when someone can pick apart a 6 string song and apply it to a 3 or 4 string…"
1 hour ago
Danny Boy Davidson liked Clarky's video
1 hour ago
Jerry Jordan commented on Arthur Gilde's photo
Thumbnail

3 String No 1

"What is the scale length of these 2.,?"
1 hour ago
Jerry Jordan commented on Arthur Gilde's photo
Thumbnail

3 String No 2

"yep.,.,that would make me want to play.,.,"
1 hour ago
Jerry Jordan commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Slide set order

"Nice set., beautiful work.,,.!!"
1 hour ago
Jerry Jordan commented on Jerry Jordan's photo
Thumbnail

Gremlins

"UJ,.,.,small world.,in the bottom of the box I found a Tenor also., I"ll post a pic later"
1 hour ago
Cause the Blue rat replied to Paul Craig's discussion What's on your workbench?
"MadGomer. Just keep going at it. Keep trying different things. Never settle.  Remember your…"
2 hours ago
Rob Uker commented on Jerry Jordan's photo
Thumbnail

Gremlins

"Awesome!!! This has been on my to do list for a long time."
3 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->