Maybe some of you are actually highly educated luthiers even though you sometimes make cigarbox guitars. Many guitarists who practice a lot experience fatigue using a footstool so have started using devices raising the guirar from the knee to the correct height and angle while leaving both feet on the floor. I want to make a classic guitar prototype with a shape which holds the guitar up at the right angle without needing the addition of a device. How do you imagine this would affect the tone? How do you think bracing would need to be accomplished? Photos coming.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Again Greg, just to let you know that you should have no issues with bracing a custom classical guitar. There are many bracing variations by many Spanish luthiers that you can utilise that are based around the fan braced model. It would be a matter of adding a brace to the fan design and lengthening the transverse braces, if building a larger guitar.

Jose Feliciano had large classical guitars built for him, based on the size of a dreadnought steel string. This was for two reasons. One, to make it more comfortable to play, and two, to get deeper bass tones. His guitars were 16" across and 4.75" deep.

The photo of the deep guitar above, I'm told by the owner, was built for Feliciano. The other standard classical guitar is 4" deep.
    Cheers Taff

• That's interesting.
  •  If I need an excuse for anything it's almost always; "curiousity". 

I have been very interested in this concept as well. I keep visualizing what one might look like and although I am always a "form follows function" kind of guy, I can't help but think it's gonna be butt-ugly if I do it. Everything I make is butt-ugly.

Looking forward to progress that you can make with it. 

• Pics up of the start of the build on the photo page.
    • Yep curiosity is the reason.
  • Always interesting to see new ideas.

I have played around refurbishing guitars for about 20 years and from what I have seen online and at guitar shows I doubt it would make much difference to tone.  I base this on having seen harp guitars up close and online and there is not much tonal difference between the ‘normal’ shape and having an extra arm to the instrument.  Also I own travel classical guitars with tiny bodies and normal sized classical guitars - the volume is less but the tone is similar.

This is an example of YouTube showing how a classical harp guitar sounds with the extra volume of an additional arm which is continuous with the body cavity.

https://youtu.be/YUlc-rQSWKc

Good luck with your project and remember to post photos :0)

• Did research last night then cut the top and back. Making a viol too.
  • Hey Greg, here is a none traditional classical guitar. It sits along side a traditional classical guitar. The deep one I just did some major repairs to, the other one I put a new top on.
    Taff
    7616684261?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Pretty.
  • Why can't you just put a strap on it, adjusted to the desired height. If you watch the Gitty Gang Show, that is what they do, all the time. A piece of cord would work, nothing fancy.

This reply was deleted.