I'm currently building a tampura - and have run into a slight challenge.  My nut-to bridge length is right at 40" - so I need LONG strings - that guitar shops just don't keep in stock.  I have ordered rolls of music wire (1/4 lb rolls - in the appropriate gauges) so I'll have a LOT of music wire for projects...  My challenge comes in as this:

Most of the projects I see make use of the ball-end of the commercially manufactured strings.  Is there a good method for attaching string that has been purchased in a bulk roll and does not have ball-ends?

(i.e. a DIY ball-end, or maybe a method of tying/attaching the cigar box body end of the strings that works and does not allow a tied end to slip & go out of tune while playing?)  The wire I purchased is spring-steel music wire (Precision brand).

Rex S.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The knot used on a classical guitar is called a timber-hitch. Might be a little weird on wire, though as it won't tighten up right... http://www.animatedknots.com/timber/ For wound strings, you only need one loop around...
  • Could you recycle an old set of ball ends from a crusty set of strings?

• Harp string pin`s is what I used on some builds. You can use loop ends or ball ends on them.  the Brick House build

• Ok well this is a skill you'll need if you ever wanna string a harp, zither (what the piano is inside) etc... What you want is a (good) pair of multi-grips and a nail..
    Clamp about an inch of the end of the wire into a loop..
    Stick your nail in, and turn it four or five times, done. You might want a pair of pliers to grip the nail

Another way you might find easier, bang the nail half into a heavy plank. Clamp the loop around that, and wind the multigrips around (the string, with the end and the return both clamped in) four or five times...
    • That sounds like a good way for making the loop ends.  Thank you!

• Alot of mountain dulcimers use loop end strings, they're easy to twist together and simple to use with a mando tail piece or a small nail with the string looped over the head. Banjos also use the loop end string.  

• That sounds like a good idea

• How to tie on non-ball end strings (several methods):

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/changing_strings.htm

I also learned another method a couple of weeks ago in Istanbul while purchasing a baglama. You run the strings through the hole twice, then bend a little fishhook in the end, and push that down through the double loop you just made. Works great.
This reply was deleted.