Replies

• I say, glue down the loose paper & put a clear coat on it. It’s perfect as it is? People pay extra for that kind of patina?

• The dirty area is really pronounced on one half of the top cover.  I'd like to at least even it out.

• Hi Dave, like I said there's many ways and I'm sure others will chip in, but here's what I would do........

Make up a template out of timber or use suitable strip of aluminium angle so that one side of the angle covers the tape around the edge of the box. I would wrap fine sandpaper around a block and sand up to the template. Now I'm thinking the sanding will not stop dead at the tape, but leave a darker un cleaned area inside the tape, this I would utilise as a sunburst effect. If you don't like that idea you'll have to spend more time sanding. 

I would also cover the centre design in a similar way and sand up to it. Again leaving the sunburst area if wanted, or not. 

Keep in mind I have not tried this, but it is what would try based on my experiences. Then hit the whole box with a suitable finish.

Taff

• Thank you!

• Here it is.

Thx

• 3503562275?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Hi Dave, there are many ways but without seeing the box and the tape in question I'd be worried I'd cause you to wreck it, with bad advice. What ever you try, if possible try it in an out of site place first.

My thought is to leave old boxes with the their old patina, make what you add to the box look as old even.

Just my thoughts Taff

This reply was deleted.