Ok, I'm doing it, foolish or not, I'm breaking the 4 string CBG barrier and trying a fiver.  I've a mahogany neck, about 1/4" wider than the usual width.  I'm putting on a maple fret board maybe a shade thicker than usual and I'm going to go easy on the V shape of the neck i usually like - more C'ish this time.  Doing everything I can to strengthen the neck (I'll add another layer of neck 2 inches before the box and carry that through to the end of the box).  

Got a soapbox single coil pickup which i like cause this not very thick (I have a fairly thin box) and I'm ready to try it.  No truss rod, i just figure I'll loosen the strings after each session.  

Any other advice?  

Why am I doing this foolish build?  Why do all the work to end up with a banana neck?  Well I had a dream, the other night.  Usually I dream I'm laid off work or shopping in my underwear, but this was a rare good one.  I was jamming with the Stones (a younger version of them) in some guys basement.  I had a guitar with the Richards 5 string open G tuning and I was actually keeping up keith.  It didn't last more than one song, but it was really vivid.  I took that as an omen for this build. Interesting because I've only read about the tuning, never actually did it, but there i was playing and it seemed pretty darn easy.  I guess that's why they are called dreams.  Anyone else dream they are jamming with professionals? (hey hey hey, i'm talking music here)

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Paul,

PM Eric Davenport here on CBN. He builds lovely five bangers from metal Sawzall boxes. Here's a vid of one of his being played by Frank of Frank Bang and the Secret Stash:

https://www.facebook.com/eric.davenport.779/posts/953610147994904:1
  • Don't worry about the neck. I built a four stringer with a maple neck about 1/4" wider than the normal 1x2 stick. Played it for about a year and decided I wanted to try a five stringer (a-la Keith Richards). I just took the five smaller string from a six string pack (medium weight), added another tuner, a new bridge and nut and I was in business. I tuned it to open G and it sounds great. I love to get the drums going on my pedal and give Honky Tonk Woman a go. There is a good YouTube video showing the basic riff using a 3 string CBG. The fiver sounds even better.

No problems with the neck and I play it daily.

Give it a go, you'll love the sound.

• Thanks for sharing, I'm encoured to keep going. I'll let you know how it turns out
This reply was deleted.