I have consolidated all of the information that was originally available here (along with much more) into a complete book.  You can download it at the following link for free.

http://joshuagayou.com/downloads/AdvancedCigarBoxGuitarConstruction...

Views: 797

Replies to This Discussion

Could anyone recommend a size of block plane, I just did an ebay search and the number of varieties in astonishing!

Cheers

Morgs
I wouldn't consider anything with shorter than a 6 inch sole.

Brett Morgan said:
Could anyone recommend a size of block plane, I just did an ebay search and the number of varieties in astonishing!

Cheers

Morgs
Would something like this do? There's also a lot of reference to low angle block planes, I'm guessing they dont take off as much meat at a time.

Brett

Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
I wouldn't consider anything with shorter than a 6 inch sole.

Brett Morgan said:
Could anyone recommend a size of block plane, I just did an ebay search and the number of varieties in astonishing!

Cheers

Morgs
Something like what? Did you forget a link?

A low angle block plane has the following advantages:

1. There is usually a fine adjustment knob on the back of it that allows you to dial in the depth of your cut. On most standard block planes that I've seen in name stores, there is a flywheel tightener that you have to unscrew to move the blade, so you can only guess how much you've changed your depth. With my low angle plane, I don't have to unseat the blade to adjust it, so I can set depth by 1/4 or 1/8 turns.

2. The lower angle of attack will give you better results when planing across end grains and on woods that are more susceptible to tearing.

Brett Morgan said:
Would something like this do? There's also a lot of reference to low angle block planes, I'm guessing they dont take off as much meat at a time.

Brett

Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
I wouldn't consider anything with shorter than a 6 inch sole.

Brett Morgan said:
Could anyone recommend a size of block plane, I just did an ebay search and the number of varieties in astonishing!

Cheers

Morgs
Sorry Josh, yeah I forgot the link...By 6" sole is that the length of the plane or the width of the blade?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Block-Plane-Low-Angle-35mm-Blade-Mustarka-HT...

found this one too but it's pretty pricey:

http://www.carbatec.com.au/irwin-low-angle-block-plane_c6855

Cheers

Brett

Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
Something like what? Did you forget a link?
A low angle block plane has the following advantages:
1. There is usually a fine adjustment knob on the back of it that allows you to dial in the depth of your cut. On most standard block planes that I've seen in name stores, there is a flywheel tightener that you have to unscrew to move the blade, so you can only guess how much you've changed your depth. With my low angle plane, I don't have to unseat the blade to adjust it, so I can set depth by 1/4 or 1/8 turns.

2. The lower angle of attack will give you better results when planing across end grains and on woods that are more susceptible to tearing.

Brett Morgan said:
Would something like this do? There's also a lot of reference to low angle block planes, I'm guessing they dont take off as much meat at a time.

Brett Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
I wouldn't consider anything with shorter than a 6 inch sole.

Brett Morgan said:
Could anyone recommend a size of block plane, I just did an ebay search and the number of varieties in astonishing!

Cheers

Morgs

You've probably already got a plane by now, but if you bought a cheap one and want to upgrade, if I were putting that much into a plane (as the carbatec) I'd go with either Lie-Neilsen or Veritas.  Both much superior to anything else that I've seen, and both come straight ready to plane out of the box.  I'm not in OZ and haven't seen the Carbatec in the flesh, but I can speak for both LN and Veritas.  Better a good, lifetime tool if you can afford it.  Another option would be a pre-war Stanley (E-Bay) with a new Hock blade.

Brett Morgan said:

Sorry Josh, yeah I forgot the link...By 6" sole is that the length of the plane or the width of the blade?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Block-Plane-Low-Angle-35mm-Blade-Mustarka-HT...

found this one too but it's pretty pricey:

http://www.carbatec.com.au/irwin-low-angle-block-plane_c6855

Cheers

Brett

Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
Something like what? Did you forget a link?
A low angle block plane has the following advantages:
1. There is usually a fine adjustment knob on the back of it that allows you to dial in the depth of your cut. On most standard block planes that I've seen in name stores, there is a flywheel tightener that you have to unscrew to move the blade, so you can only guess how much you've changed your depth. With my low angle plane, I don't have to unseat the blade to adjust it, so I can set depth by 1/4 or 1/8 turns.

2. The lower angle of attack will give you better results when planing across end grains and on woods that are more susceptible to tearing.

Brett Morgan said:
Would something like this do? There's also a lot of reference to low angle block planes, I'm guessing they dont take off as much meat at a time.

Brett Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
I wouldn't consider anything with shorter than a 6 inch sole.

Brett Morgan said:
Could anyone recommend a size of block plane, I just did an ebay search and the number of varieties in astonishing!

Cheers

Morgs

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources


Discussion Forum

Building a Cigar Box Guitar Part 1 - Intro

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Dan Mullen Feb 22, 2014. 6 Replies

Part 5 - Tapered Necks - Carving

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Mike Brobeck Oct 29, 2011. 7 Replies

Part 5 - Necks - Scarf Joints

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Feb 23, 2011. 12 Replies

Building a Cigar Box Guitar Part 2 - Tools

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Wiley Rutledge Dec 14, 2010. 6 Replies

Building a Cigar Box Guitar Part 3 - Supplies

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by ledbelly Nov 16, 2010. 2 Replies

Part 4 - Design

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Nov 9, 2010. 2 Replies

Alternate Neck Joints - The V Joint

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by colin mcgrath Nov 5, 2010. 6 Replies

Why You Shouldn't Listen Too Closely to the "Experts"

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by colin mcgrath Nov 5, 2010. 9 Replies

Tung Oil Finish

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Fitzhugh Sep 12, 2010. 1 Reply

Part 5 - Necks - Fret Work

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Fitzhugh Aug 21, 2010. 23 Replies

Part 5 - Tapered Necks - The Fretboard

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Jul 30, 2010. 5 Replies

Guitar Wiring Basics

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by ian frazier May 14, 2010. 2 Replies

String Intonation Explained

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Feb 10, 2010. 0 Replies

Part 6 - Finishes - French Polish

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Feb 8, 2010. 0 Replies

Improvised Bench Dogs

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by HOGS GRUNT Oct 12, 2009. 1 Reply

mini-humbucker

Started by bucky. Last reply by bucky Dec 31, 2008. 3 Replies

Blog Posts

To Reach the Chord

Posted by Rich on November 12, 2021 at 10:20am 0 Comments

Seasonal build contest?

Posted by smilingdog1 on October 29, 2021 at 9:20am 9 Comments

Leonard Cohen Life

Posted by Keith Rearick on October 7, 2021 at 11:18am 2 Comments

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik left a comment for Rope Walker Country Star
"Haven’t heard from you for awhile and have missed your regular contributions at CBN. I hope…"
43 minutes ago
Corin Mitchinson - End commented on Corin Mitchinson - End's photo
Thumbnail

4 String Kettle Thing.

"Yep. I came upon the tuning completely accidentally while playing around with a six string with…"
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Corin Mitchinson - End's photo
Thumbnail

4 String Kettle Thing.

"That is cool."
3 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Corin Mitchinson - End's photo
Thumbnail

4 String Kettle Thing.

"Looks great.  GDGA#  Hunh!  I play GDGB."
4 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
4 hours ago
Corin Mitchinson - End posted photos
5 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

2-string Texas license plate bass made by New Egypt Folk String Instrument Co in Seviervielle, TN

Check out this 2-string Texas license plate bass ‼️‼️‼️💯 made by New Egypt Folk String Instrument Co in Seviervielle, Tennessee. Handmade with some P-bass p...
12 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (cover on acoustic guitar)

"Not familiar with the song Kale, but I like it. You’ve got a great rhythmic grove going; love…"
15 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (cover on acoustic guitar)

"I kind of like the White Stripes.  Had not heard this song that I can recall.  I like it…"
16 hours ago
Taffy Evans replied to Cigar Box Nation's discussion 2021 Throwback Holiday Build-Off Contest!
"Hi, Thought I would enter another instrument in the competition, mainly because I built every thing…"
17 hours ago
Darryl Tuttle left a comment for Scott Henriksen
"Welcome to cbn! got some pics of guitars you made?"
18 hours ago
Scott Henriksen left a comment for Cigar Box Nation
19 hours ago

Music

© 2021   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->