Hullo all, I have made a lap steel 6 string, with humbucker pickup. Now I am in the early stages of learning to play it. In the past I have had a go at "normal"  6 strings, but arthritis in my fretting hand has put an end to that. No probs with 3 string CBG's though.  I would appreciate any given advice to help me get a bit further down that track.  Oh, one more thing, I have had a bit of a play with tunings and like open D (DADF#AD) Cheers to all, Peter

Views: 128

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not a lapsteel player at all but I've looked into playing when I was considering building a lapsteel  My only advice I can give is to look up Troy Brenningmeyer on YouTube (not sure on the surname spelling but I think it's close). I believe he has a course available to purchase on open D lapsteel playing and it's not much money either. His YouTube channel has lots of great information too though so you can see if you like his teaching style first.

Best wishes with your playing. 

Bear :o) 

Thanks Bear. I have had a look at his website too. And will give that a try. Nice to get other advice..see what's out there. Nice to get your reply. Regards Peter

Hi Peter,   I have been playing guitars for years, but arthritis has messed up my digits quite substantially. Therefore, I have gone down the road of learning slide stuff. I built a 6 string lap steel (pictures on here somewhere) and began the slow re-learning. I can no longer hold a conventional plectrum, so I have a standard thumb pick, with a normal flat pick Araldited on. These work quite well to a point, then strumming difficult bits gets a tad hard to control. I am fast learning thumb pick, short bladed, together with a long finger pick (cheap). Then of course we come to the different tunings. With my lap steel, I learnt to do a slide version of 'Cocaine'. This took me about three weeks to render it recognisable, but stick with it, it does get simpler. 

https://youtu.be/-Ok4oZk1XP4

In fact, anything is more or less the same as a conventional slide guitar, so any tunings can be amended to suit. I personally prefer a resonator, but three string guitars are excellent for slide, slide is all I have left to me anyway these days.

I tend to play along with the millions of rhythm tracks in all keys on Youtube. They go on for ages, so I just dig in and enjoy like an expert...??????  Good luck to you..!!!

Boy you have had a journey with arthritis.  Actually, I araldited an aluminium tube to the top of a lap slide (same length as the slide) popped my index finger in that and it takes the load off the thumb.

I will follow your leads.

All the best, Peter

My advice is to learn all the notes up & down the neck, and play, play, play. Lap slide is basic enough for anyone to master, I taught myself at the age of fifteen, just need a bit of patience. Plenty of material on YouTube,check out Matt Smith on D’Addario and Co. channel,he’s got some beginners stuff. Good luck

Peter, what really helped me out to get my bearing on the fretboard was ,starting off barring all strings at once. I learned where all the notes were & then applied scale positions to my playing. So basically I started by treating it kinda like a diddley bow? So with that said, you could apply diddley bow scales to playing all strings barred? You may wanna check out the “cbg tabs” group for some diddley bow tabs. I learned to play lapsteel in less than a year, so it’s really just getting past the awkwardness of the unfamiliar playing position.Hope this helps, you’ll be tearing it up in no time, cheers 

What excellent tips I am getting from you all. Much appreciated. cheers back.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

6 String Lap Steel for Beginners

Started by BrianQ. Sep 27, 2019. 0 Replies

Well crap.....

Started by James Pobog Aug 29, 2019. 0 Replies

I think I hit the jackpot....

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by Reg Seward Aug 28, 2019. 1 Reply

A mind is a terrible thing....

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by Poorness Studios Aug 27, 2019. 3 Replies

First Steel build...

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by BrianQ. Aug 26, 2019. 1 Reply

My first Lap Steel Build

Started by OldNick. Last reply by Ron Lutz Jan 23, 2019. 4 Replies

Second build

Started by Gary Williams. Last reply by Ron Lutz Jan 23, 2019. 5 Replies

Advice on learning to play 6 stringed lap

Started by Peter Hendley. Last reply by Peter Hendley Nov 30, 2018. 7 Replies

Ironing Board Lap Steel

Started by Brad Ellin. Last reply by Slow Blues Dani & Ol' Grey Bear Oct 3, 2018. 3 Replies

Please save me from making rookie mistakes.

Started by Rob (Uker) Porras. Last reply by Carl Franklin May 26, 2017. 13 Replies

Buying bridges and nuts....pre slotted and behind the bar bends

Started by Jon Leslie/Runaway Veal Music. Last reply by Jon Leslie/Runaway Veal Music Feb 25, 2016. 5 Replies

My first lap dance

Started by Daryl. Last reply by Daryl Jul 10, 2014. 6 Replies

My First Homemade Lap Steel

Started by RL Rainwater. Last reply by RL Rainwater Apr 13, 2013. 4 Replies

#2 Homemade Lap Steel

Started by RL Rainwater. Last reply by Dave Lynas Apr 12, 2013. 1 Reply

first lap steel

Started by mark "mudcat" quigley. Last reply by jabes Oct 2, 2012. 4 Replies

My No.1 and No.2 Lap steel guitars.

Started by Paul Monaco ( Whittling Guy). Last reply by Jamie MacBlues Sep 17, 2012. 1 Reply

Almost Done

Started by Niles Galloway. Last reply by Rick Hayes Mar 8, 2011. 3 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->