Cheers and Happy New Year from just outside Toronto, Canada. Well with 1 1/2 builds under my substantial belt I am wondering a bit more about the electronics for them. Piezos are easy and I have been using them so far but I am wondering why so many of you are going to the trouble of using 'real' pickups? I know they add a distinctive sound and eliminate the issue of the piezo picking up noise from the box being bumped or scratched. Can a piezo be used with a distortion pedal - like the kit offered by CB Gitty? What sorts of limitations are there?

Views: 243

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rob, it seems like the primary differences are in the sound.  I've done some of both with piezos and sever different types of magnetic pickups and it seems to me the primary difference is what sound you are looking for. Piezos seem to work with distortion and other effects.  I build more than play as I haven't managed to take the time to practice and learn, but several of my friends have played both piezo equipped and mag pups through their pedals and such with no problems.

Hi Rob, and happy new year!

Much will depend on your style of playing. If you tend towards a rougher, rhythm-based approach, a piezo will pick up every single knock and scratch on the box. Moreover, I personally think that they give a 'thinner' sound overall- though that can be compensated for with a pre-amp. They are, however, undeniably an order of magnitude (or two!) cheaper than a single coil, or humbucker, and much easier to fit. I've got boxes that are crying out for a lipstick in chrome, but cutting the precise hole in the lid...

Short answer- try both, and see how you get on. It's not like you're only going to make one more, is it?

You can use piezos with distortion. It will pick up every little scrape, but if you need Metallica levels of distortion use a mag pup. I have several with the "Snake Oil" mini humbuckers they have at Gitty. They sound good, and a rectangle hole is fairly easy to cut. Good luck!

Not too many rules. I dislike the thin tinny sound I get with piezo. I like the flat pickups from Elmar, Dan Sleep, MGB Guitar. They install easy and sound great. I used to do volume and tone but now I just wire direct to the jack. Easy beans.

I've used both and even mixed piezo and pickups. Piezos work fine with effects, they are a bit hot. The Rod Piezos are less of a problem with handling noise, but often require a preamp. Some preamps allow the hook up of pickups too. 

The impedance mismatch between round piezos and pickups can cause a popping sound when using a switch on passive electronics.

Lots of choices and you should experiment to see what you like.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Kiwi Guitarist

Started by Terry. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Dec 7, 2019. 8 Replies

Cigar box mandolin

Started by BeanJean Dec 7, 2019. 0 Replies

How did I get here?

Started by Tyler Garrett. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Dec 6, 2019. 1 Reply

Hola Desde Mexico

Started by Harvey Bernstein. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Dec 6, 2019. 1 Reply

New to CBG

Started by John Bartlette. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Dec 6, 2019. 1 Reply

New boy

Started by Paul scofield. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Dec 6, 2019. 1 Reply

How did I end up here? ;-)

Started by Simon Benoit. Last reply by Thomas "Duck" Petry Sep 4, 2019. 9 Replies

Hey there

Started by Pim. Last reply by Metal hic Aug 20, 2019. 10 Replies

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Started by Rick Tish. Last reply by Paul Craig Aug 14, 2019. 1 Reply

Just sayin' Hey from Abiquiu, NM

Started by Myron Joe Hickel. Last reply by Uncle John Jul 25, 2019. 8 Replies

Smokin' Guitars - New Member Introduction

Started by Smokin' Guitars. Last reply by Blues Frog Jul 15, 2019. 2 Replies

Hello from Adelaide, South Australia...

Started by John Welsh Jun 27, 2019. 0 Replies

Hello from Austria

Started by Jonathan Buttazoni. Last reply by Paul Craig Jun 12, 2019. 1 Reply

Roller bridge and Peizo pickups

Started by Tim Pannabecker. Last reply by Daniel Walter May 23, 2019. 22 Replies

Barking Dog, hosts of 2019 CBG Festival

Started by Barking Dog Arts May 11, 2019. 0 Replies

Hola from Albuquerque!

Started by Kaelan Dreyer. Last reply by ILL GREEN May 10, 2019. 5 Replies

salut from france .

Started by j-v. Last reply by j-v Apr 3, 2019. 6 Replies

Glad to be part of the Nation.

Started by David Pendlebury. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Jan 26, 2019. 4 Replies

Greetings from Down Under!

Started by mitch jones. Last reply by Tony Obermeit Jan 22, 2019. 9 Replies

Looking for Acoustic Sound

Started by Rogheff. Last reply by Rogheff Jan 21, 2019. 4 Replies

Blog Posts

Dual lap steel

Posted by Ron Lutz on January 9, 2020 at 2:42pm 1 Comment

My 3 Gitty Kits

Posted by Poorness Studios on January 8, 2020 at 9:20am 2 Comments

My CBG details

Posted by Paul scofield on January 1, 2020 at 9:22am 2 Comments

Latest Activity

Eero Tapani Lehtinen liked Dave Lynas's video
58 minutes ago
Gary O'slide posted a video
1 hour ago
Eero Tapani Lehtinen commented on Eero Tapani Lehtinen's video
Thumbnail

Diana cigarbox guitar

"Thanks Dave and Andries! Yes, actually this old box has great hunting theme labels."
1 hour ago
Clarky commented on Clarky's video
1 hour ago
Gus K replied to Sean Murphy's discussion Tung oil vs Danish Oil?
1 hour ago
David replied to James Pobog's discussion fret (and fret marking) experiments
"James I don’t know how to posts pic of the nail frets. It won’t let me copy and paste.…"
3 hours ago
Dave Lynas posted videos
5 hours ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

Song for Old 97

"Harmony made some great guitars for the money back in my day Daniel. My Rocket for one. Our…"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

The Coo Coo

"Thanks AGP. My version came from the riff I found this morning. It sounded like a bird singing to…"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

The Coo Coo

"Andries that’s the guy (most famous Dave). He pops up when you google me. A Brit I think.…"
8 hours ago
9 hours ago
Thumbnail

Old 97

"Thanks AGP. Thanks Nancy Kat. Thanks Daniel. Igloo is right D. Blizzard is right over Duluth. Looks…"
9 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->