Hi! 

I bought an old cassette player/radio at an estate sale (really cheap!) and I'm wondering where/how I start in converting it into a guit amp. 

I've seen a few vids of some Australian (?) cat doing it, and he took out the magnetic head that reads the tapes.  I've also read one can simply solder the positive to the head.

I'm open to any advice on how I start this undertaking.

Thanks!

Views: 153

Replies to This Discussion

Several ways to do it Andy. THE deal (from my own experience) if IF it has a record button on the cassette function. If not, there are others who can help you. If it DOES have a record option, you literally just blow up (cuz it will never work as a cassette player again) that by opening it up, pushing RECORD, and when the record head pops out, carefully snipping the 2 wires going to that record head. Solder them to the pos. and neg. posts on a 1/4 inch input and plug it in being sure to leave the record button ON. When you do this you get instant amplifier. In fact the louder you turn up the volume the more grit and distortion. Works killer for old little Walkman cassette-recorders or boom boxes w. record function. Depending on the guitar or mic you plug into your female input jack, you got coolness and depending on the wattage, can be really hip. Plug headphones in and blow your brains out. That's my 2 cents, and it all takes about 20 mins. to convert 'em like this. Have fun. If it plugs into AC be careful!! -Glenn

It's not in front of me right now, but I think it does record.  So, how do I know which is positive and which is negative?  Are they different colors?  Or do I determine that from where they're attached?

Crappy lo-fi can sound good too? The old later 8-track recorder combos are great sounding too, they’ve got the added mojo of germanium transistors 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Ruby Amp

Started by BrianQ.. Last reply by Paul Craig Nov 28. 13 Replies

DIY Spring Reverb

Started by Kevin Keating. Last reply by Paul Craig Oct 17. 4 Replies

TDA2030A Amp

Started by Bama Hound. Last reply by Gary Stenzel Jul 23, 2017. 14 Replies

Home Brew Champ Tube Amp

Started by Scott aka Farmer Ted. Last reply by Paul Craig Feb 6, 2017. 3 Replies

Dual IM386 Chip amp

Started by Paul Craig. Last reply by Paul Craig Jan 27, 2017. 29 Replies

5 Watt Amp Kit (DIY Case)

Started by Walter Haapapuro. Last reply by Gene Jones Dec 7, 2016. 46 Replies

DIY reverb behold - I found this online

Started by Danny B.. Last reply by Paul Craig Nov 2, 2016. 3 Replies

Bass Cabinet project

Started by Murdoc_420. Last reply by Murdoc_420 Jul 16, 2016. 34 Replies

Kalamazoo Model 1 Deluxe

Started by Scott aka Farmer Ted. Last reply by Rick Alexander Jun 20, 2016. 12 Replies

LM386 amp and other stuff

Started by Denis U. Last reply by Denis U May 29, 2016. 19 Replies

Combo Amp Build

Started by Paul Craig. Last reply by Paul Craig May 27, 2016. 113 Replies

Trying to get a "bigger" sound

Started by Ian Schroth. Last reply by Blind Lemon Cello Mar 16, 2016. 31 Replies

Jana MJ-13400 Public Address amplifier

Started by Monterey. Last reply by Wayfinder Mar 15, 2016. 3 Replies

Mini-amp plans needed.

Started by Rev Mike. Last reply by BrianQ. Jul 4, 2015. 4 Replies

Will this work for an amp?

Started by Monterey. Last reply by Wayfinder May 19, 2015. 4 Replies

Radio conversion too quiet

Started by Slow Slough Guitars. Last reply by wes carl May 10, 2015. 5 Replies

Amp

Started by Truth Instruments. Last reply by Truth Instruments Apr 18, 2015. 3 Replies

Blog Posts

Mag pickup help

Posted by Fantacone Box Works on December 1, 2019 at 7:26pm 5 Comments

Tupelo Tenor kit

Posted by Craig W.Solomon on November 21, 2019 at 6:51pm 4 Comments

Hello from new member

Posted by Morgan L. Scoggins on November 16, 2019 at 9:52am 8 Comments

Latest Activity

Dave Lynas commented on Paulo Da Silva Junior's photo
Thumbnail

20191207_170443

"I love your bridge. The sound holes look too fragile though. How did you do that?"
6 minutes ago
Dave Lynas liked Paulo Da Silva Junior's photo
8 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on BrianQ.'s photo
Thumbnail

More Toothpick Frets

"Do you slot the neck any to set the picks? What glue do you use BQ. ?"
9 minutes ago
Dave Lynas liked BrianQ.'s photo
11 minutes ago
Ron Mason joined Diane in Chicago's group
Thumbnail

Can Jo Consortium

The simplest little resonator instrument of all. Please add links to plans, photos of your canjos…See More
13 minutes ago
Ron Mason liked Adam Jellison's discussion Canjo Tablatures
14 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly replied to Cause the Blue rat's discussion Question about parallel piezo setup.
"I place mine one under the bridge area and the other under the neck area so I guess side by side ..…"
41 minutes ago
BrianQ. replied to Cause the Blue rat's discussion Question about parallel piezo setup.
"You could do it either way, but if you stack them , you would have to insulate the back of the top…"
42 minutes ago
Cause the Blue rat posted a discussion

Question about parallel piezo setup.

When wiring two piezo in parallel. Are the disks stacked or placed side by side? See More
1 hour ago
Bernie Edwards liked Paulo Da Silva Junior's photo
1 hour ago
Bernie Edwards liked Paulo Da Silva Junior's photo
1 hour ago
Bernie Edwards commented on Korrigan's photo
Thumbnail

Alison

"The vegetable steamer idea is great...thanks!"
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->