I made my first CBG about three months ago. Since then I've made another 4 and I like to think they are getting progressively better. However, there is a problem I don't seem to be able to get over.

Open strings are perfectly in tune but the further I go up the frets the sharper the notes get.

I have been using the "WFret" template and have been meticulous in positioning the frets.

I have asked around and have been told that maybe this can be fixed by adjusting the intonation but as I'm not using an adjustable bridge I don't see how this can be done.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Art

Views: 230

Replies to This Discussion

Every bridge has to be just a bit further out than the scale length.  This is due to aa coupl of factors:. The mass of the string, strings being stretched to fret or slide, and maybe the tension, too...    Take a look at any electric guitar.  They are made with adjustable bridges for a reason .  Acoustics with fixed bridges are affected by string gauge changes accordingly.    

It has been my experience that a slide guitar with a 25 inch scale, the low g string has to be about 3/16 inch longer than the scale length, and the high g string has to be about 1/16" too long...

YMMV...

If your using a non-adjustable fixed bridge that could be your issue.

Try a floating bridge and angle as needed.

Here’s a good video to watch.

https://youtu.be/Y6pE6E7iuvI

Andy - great video! Thanks for sharing.

You string height (action) also is a factor.

Take a picture of the bridge you are using. That would help.
I purchased a uke (defective, 1 of 2200 made, but repaired) with that problem.

I kept thinking "the frets must be...no, how hard is it to get them in the right place in a factory?", but gave up & had a luthier look at it.

In my case, the frets were spaced correctly, but the distance from the nut to the first fret was too long...almost 1/8" on 20" baritone scale).

Not perfect yet, going to file the nut notch some day.

Basically, he told me to take the nut off, shorten the end, reinstall & recheck, repeat (string tension is enough to hold the nut in place...if too much material is removed, can shim to lengthen).

If you have a 'no rules' CBG nut, look at the distance to the first fret.

Murray
Murray's advice is good, but my first thought was the same as Gus'. With the strings open, how much height do you have between strings and 1st fret? How about at 12th fret? Lay a straightedge on your frets, is the neck bowed up?

Thanks for all the suggestions.   Checked the distance from nut to first fret and it's 36.5mm (1.437")  to the top centre of the fret which is right for a 25.5 inch scale.   If the measurement has to be taken from nut to the nearest edge of the fret then I'm a mm. out.    Re. string height: 2.5mm (.100") at the nut and at 12th fret 4mm (.15")

The bridge is a cut from a piece of red gum - a hard wood.   Have attached pics.

Art.

Attachments:

Your bridge is too straight.  The low strings need to be longer than the high ones.   Just start scooting the bridge a bit while checking intonation at the 12th fret. 

String length can also be adjusted by the depth of your string grooves, deeper for the high, going shallower to the low.  'Typically preferred action on an electric guitar is around 1/16" (1.6mm) on the high E string and 3/32" (2.4mm) on the low E string.'

Thanks Gus,

Will make some adjustments.  

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

How could this be?

Started by stephen davies. Last reply by stephen davies Jul 9. 2 Replies

Grounding

Started by Robert M J Loftus. Last reply by stephen davies Jun 30. 6 Replies

Pickup Placement on High G Ukulele

Started by Chris Sturhann. Last reply by Chris Sturhann Jun 19. 2 Replies

Shipping

Started by Virginia Bill. Last reply by Jim Brown Jun 12. 4 Replies

Neck Bowing?

Started by Craig Cole. Last reply by Craig Cole Jun 11. 11 Replies

Springs in an acoustic cbg

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner Jun 1. 8 Replies

Weird Little Install Issue

Started by Craig Cole. Last reply by Craig Cole Jun 1. 5 Replies

CBGitty Amp kit

Started by Art Prior. Last reply by Paul Craig May 31. 4 Replies

Earthing Strings

Started by mitch jones. Last reply by mitch jones May 18. 7 Replies

Like a box of chocolates

Started by Michael shrader. Last reply by Michael shrader May 11. 3 Replies

Intonation problem

Started by Ramson. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner May 3. 14 Replies

Pure and simple CBG

Started by Bill McNamara. Last reply by Craig Cole Apr 30. 6 Replies

Scale length for 17" box

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson Apr 30. 29 Replies

Pickup to string distance

Started by Lou Ellis. Last reply by Lou Ellis Apr 9. 8 Replies

What strings should be used for 4 string cbc tuned to GDGD?

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Paul Craig Apr 8. 3 Replies

Bonehead rookie mistake

Started by Michael shrader. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner Apr 7. 24 Replies

Neck, sound hole, strings and Bridge question.

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner Apr 4. 9 Replies

Power tools - what buy next?

Started by Charles Z. Last reply by John Sawyer Apr 4. 6 Replies

Fretboard radius, is it to late?

Started by Ramson. Last reply by Ramson Mar 26. 7 Replies

Blog Posts

What wood is this?

Posted by Sean Murphy on July 16, 2019 at 10:48am 0 Comments

apology

Posted by Danny Gordon on July 13, 2019 at 7:30pm 3 Comments

Latest build

Posted by Sean Murphy on July 5, 2019 at 8:34am 5 Comments

Latest Activity

Thomas Case liked CrocBite's photo
4 minutes ago
Thomas Case liked CrocBite's photo
5 minutes ago
Dave Lynas liked Clarky's video
5 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Clarky's video
Thumbnail

Can't Stop - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Cigar Box Guitar Cover

"Wow Clarky. You play that perfectly and show us how. Thanks."
6 minutes ago
Thomas Case liked Omar Mariani's photo
6 minutes ago
Dave Lynas liked cbgkent's video
12 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on cbgkent's video
Thumbnail

Juice box preamp

"Very good how to Kent. Clear and simple and it sounds great!"
12 minutes ago
Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner replied to Fantacone Box Works's discussion Break angle for bridge
"What an neat idea they wanted unique an offset neck would check both boxes, uniqueness and label…"
14 minutes ago
Dave Lynas liked Uncle John's video
18 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

Gone Gone Gone

"Loved that Swampie ending! Great tune well sung. Slide work terrific. Loved it Unc."
19 minutes ago
Tom T replied to JP Lace Master's discussion Day 2: folding Travel Diddley Bow
"Nice idea for using materials. Do you have a photo showing the hinge in place?"
20 minutes ago
Downtown Vinnie commented on Downtown Vinnie's video
Thumbnail

Love By the Sea

"Thanks,  Richard, much appreciated.Wondershare makes great photo collage programs. Aw Kat,love…"
45 minutes ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->