Ok, I've posted this question on other experts and can't seem to get a reply. My first build is a 17" long CB and I'm at a point where I "have" to make a decision, but would greatly appreciate some guidance. I read, heard or saw someplace that the sweet spot for a bridge is 3/4 of the way back from the neck end of the box. My snag is, I plan on using 19 frets(unless advised otherwise). If I go with a 25.5 scale, it locates the bridge about half way in the middle of the box(approx 9"). 32.5" scale would put the bridge about right. In bot h scenarios the fretboard would be about 2 frets over the lid. I don't know if a 32.5" is even viable. Any advice would be helpful.

Views: 270

Replies to This Discussion

32.5 will take you into bass guitar territory, which requires bigger strings? And totally changes string tension? Having a fretboard over the lid is quite common, so not really a big deal, sometimes it just works out that way? I wouldn’t worry about the neck being over the box much, especially if the bridge is set in an optimal position? Here’s a video on the “over the top” fretboard from Del Puckett, good luck on your build.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jCn3hkJfMK4&list=PLILeQN-JJ4qaEuh...

The tendency on first builds is to overthink things. You really want it to be a wonderful build [and it will be] but it probably won't be perfect.I have put bridges anywhere from the middle of a box to about an inch from the edge. They all can work. Some better than others. I do agree with your sweet spot observation.

That's a big box, and might lend itself to bass [or maybe baritone] territory. As Brian indicates, bass scale length will present some interesting string tension issues.

Most guys rarely play about the 15th fret or thereabouts, so at that point fret count is probably aesthetics more than function.

Have fun, enjoy the process, post pix for us to see, and build on!!

Firstly, I'm no expert, but in the absence of other advice I'll offer what I can. Secondly, an inescapable fact, the 12th fret has to be halfway from the nut to the bridge. On my builds the bridge is positioned roughly 1/3 of the way from the tail end. In the case of your 17" box, that would put it about 5.5" from the tail which with a 25.5" scale means the only accessible frets would be up to numbers 12-15. Therefore, to allow reasonable access to 19 frets, the options are a longer scale as you said, a smaller box or a bridge halfway. Personally in that case I wouldn't build one with a 17" long box due to the long stretch of string between bridge & Tail.  The longest I've built is 13" with a bridge about 5" from the tail and a 25.5" scale. Frankly I don't know how a 32.5" scale would work out but I'm assuming a long neck & a long total string length which means lots of stretch in use. 

Like Dennis, for an acoustic build I have the bridge about a third of the way forward. For electric it doesn't matter much. Look up the Bo Diddley guitars for reference, his had long boxes. You could fashion a tailpiece to address the overall string length concern Dennis voiced. Personally I would not hesitate to use the box. Depending on the width it might be a great candidate for a resonator using a pie tin or paint can lid? Go forth and prosper!!!

I forgot to mention( not really, just didn't know to) that there will be a tail piece of sorts. While we're on the subject of bridges. I know the nut should have a single slope from fretboard toward head, but what about the bridge? Pointed, rounded or does it really matter, as long as it's notched?

A long Tailpiece like on Jazz guitars would help keep the excess string length beyond the bridge shorter, & therefore assist with bridge positioning. Regarding the bridge, I've always notched bone bridge saddles with a slope towards the tail. Correct width notches per string is the key, if too wide it can produce buzzing or unwanted dull tones.

Thanks everyone for the advice, it's giving me something to chew on. There's a personal reason that I'm using this particular box, although it's large. It will be apparent when you see the finished project. I'm rethinking the number of frets and the neck length. 25.5 seems to be doable although baritone sounds interesting because this will be a unique build. What strings would I need (3)? I'm also making the neck 1 1/2"  thick plus 1/4" fretboard.

17"x6"x7" I'm leaning toward a deeper bass tone, just don't have a clue what strings to get. I'm adding a pick-up, even kicking around 6 strings (3 pair) the neck is laminate oak at present 3 " wide and will be through box build aka Del Puckett style.

Just to clarify, I meant I wouldn't use a 17" box with ADG strings from a standard 6 pack, not that I wouldn't use a 17" box at all. That box sounds awesome, there's always a way, that's the fun in this, no rules!

I’m running 52, 42, 30 on a 28.5” scale & 56, 46, 34 on a 30.5” scale. Both 3 stringers, down tuned get pretty bassy? Fender One is tuned open D (D A D) & the latter is tuned to open C (C G C) & open B (B F# B). On my 6 string Baritone 30.25 scale, I’m using 16-66 tuning as low as Drop A? So really it’s preference? I myself enjoy larger gauges, but most don’t? Good luck 

I'm curious about your string size choices. Would the ones on the 28 work on the 32 with a tail piece and tuned to open "G"?

Will "A" have the same effect as "B"? Where as "A" has adjustable screws with holes for the strings and "B" has the bridge slanted.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

How could this be?

Started by stephen davies. Last reply by stephen davies Jul 9. 2 Replies

Grounding

Started by Robert M J Loftus. Last reply by stephen davies Jun 30. 6 Replies

Pickup Placement on High G Ukulele

Started by Chris Sturhann. Last reply by Chris Sturhann Jun 19. 2 Replies

Shipping

Started by Virginia Bill. Last reply by Jim Brown Jun 12. 4 Replies

Neck Bowing?

Started by Craig Cole. Last reply by Craig Cole Jun 11. 11 Replies

Springs in an acoustic cbg

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner Jun 1. 8 Replies

Weird Little Install Issue

Started by Craig Cole. Last reply by Craig Cole Jun 1. 5 Replies

CBGitty Amp kit

Started by Art Prior. Last reply by Paul Craig May 31. 4 Replies

Earthing Strings

Started by mitch jones. Last reply by mitch jones May 18. 7 Replies

Like a box of chocolates

Started by Michael shrader. Last reply by Michael shrader May 11. 3 Replies

Intonation problem

Started by Ramson. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner May 3. 14 Replies

Pure and simple CBG

Started by Bill McNamara. Last reply by Craig Cole Apr 30. 6 Replies

Scale length for 17" box

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson Apr 30. 29 Replies

Pickup to string distance

Started by Lou Ellis. Last reply by Lou Ellis Apr 9. 8 Replies

What strings should be used for 4 string cbc tuned to GDGD?

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Paul Craig Apr 8. 3 Replies

Bonehead rookie mistake

Started by Michael shrader. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner Apr 7. 24 Replies

Neck, sound hole, strings and Bridge question.

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner Apr 4. 9 Replies

Power tools - what buy next?

Started by Charles Z. Last reply by John Sawyer Apr 4. 6 Replies

Fretboard radius, is it to late?

Started by Ramson. Last reply by Ramson Mar 26. 7 Replies

Blog Posts

Buying in bulk

Posted by Rick Tish on August 17, 2019 at 6:31pm 0 Comments

Shellac

Posted by Rick Tish on August 15, 2019 at 7:08pm 0 Comments

first post

Posted by Rick Tish on August 14, 2019 at 8:23am 0 Comments

My first

Posted by Myron Joe Hickel on August 11, 2019 at 9:13pm 5 Comments

Latest Activity

High Bird Handcrafted Instuments posted photos
48 minutes ago
Taffy Evans replied to Joan Pace's discussion Help Tuning
"Hi, check that your string gauge suits the G tuning. Also check where the string breaks, might be a…"
1 hour ago
BUGGY (C) commented on Downtown Vinnie's video
1 hour ago
Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner replied to Clint Spotts's discussion Spring Reverb Advice
"I have a lid like that with a threaded rod for the knob to screw on to, it rings a perfect C. These…"
1 hour ago
BUGGY (C) commented on BUGGY (C)'s video
Thumbnail

She used to be so beautiful

"Yup I agree UJ... I only smoke when I'm on fire"
1 hour ago
BUGGY (C) commented on BUGGY (C)'s video
1 hour ago
Downtown Vinnie posted a video

Buckle Up Betsy

searchin for riffage.
2 hours ago
Rick Tish posted a blog post

Buying in bulk

My dad always said the same thing when he saw something marked at a way better than average price: …See More
2 hours ago
Rick Tish commented on Rick Tish's photo
Thumbnail

Orange blossom special

"just plain old whitewood board.  Nothing fancy."
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Poorness Studios's photo
Thumbnail

Started my second CB Gitty kit

"Thanks! I don't think they all do have the center block. I love tenor guitars in Chicago…"
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Thomas Case's photo
Thumbnail

#3 mando

"Excellent. Mandos are difficult builds."
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Thomas Case's photo
Thumbnail

#7 dobro

"Very nice!"
2 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->