"Is it normal to have a slight "bow" to the neck? Built a neck on top and not using heavy strings. (first build)"

Views: 173

Replies to This Discussion

Depends on the density of Wood 

It's the Gitty Pure & Simple kit - same design as a Crow with neck on top. Not a huge bow but maybe 1/16 - 1/8 inch ?

Stiffness of the neck (affected by the dimensions, species, and how the grain is oriented) will be your biggest consideration with respect to neck bowing. Other things impact it too but start with a good stiff neck. If you lay a straightedge on the neck, how much of a gap do you have in the middle?

Laid a metal ruler about in the middle of neck ---- I'd say about 1/16" gap. doesn't affect the strings or playing just something I noticed.

Many guitar techs purposely induce a small amount of relief (bow) in the neck. A perfectly straight neck requires a light touch when picking.

Thanks for the info.

Hi, the bow or relief in the neck is normally measured in 1000ths of an inch at the 7th fret, and is different for different set ups. If you have 1/16 to 1/8" I'd say that neck is crap. I would set relief at around  10 thousandths of an inch. I use feeler gauges. 

With a bow in the fingerboard one normally has the have a higher action to avoid fretting out (buzzing) at the high end, which in turn affects intonation. Can you get the neck exchanged.

Taff

Hi again, I should mention that the relief {bow] is measure over the 7th fret with the 1st and 12th fret held down. The fingerboard can then be seen to bow away from the straight string. On a long scale you would fret higher than the 12th fret.

Taff 

Taff - it's a fretless neck (strictly slide) and sounds great. Replaced the Flying Bridge with a piece of threaded rod . Lowered my strings a bit and seems to be fine.

Great, maybe my info will help others. At least you will not get any fret buzz, ha ha.

LOL. I'll post a pic with a metal ruler just for good measure. Hey, ALL info is most welcome.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Fretted....

Started by Jim Codog. Last reply by Jim Codog yesterday. 5 Replies

Joinery suggestions for hand-made boxes

Started by Chris Wharton. Last reply by Chris Wharton yesterday. 42 Replies

Connecting a guitar jack?

Started by rick schoen. Last reply by David Clewell on Monday. 5 Replies

Fretting for beginners

Started by Michael Myers. Last reply by MadGomer Nov 14. 3 Replies

Adjusting the action on a cbg 3 string.

Started by rick schoen. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Nov 11. 8 Replies

Fitting Frets

Started by neddy. Last reply by Taffy Evans Nov 10. 6 Replies

Tuner and nut question.

Started by Bill. Last reply by Gus K Nov 6. 12 Replies

Help with first tuning procedure.

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by Mark Bliss Nov 6. 3 Replies

Too far gone??

Started by T-Gripped. Last reply by Mark Bliss Nov 6. 7 Replies

Pickup query

Started by Arthur Payne. Last reply by Arthur Payne Nov 6. 11 Replies

How do I use this string tension calculator?

Started by Warren Williams. Last reply by BrianQ. Nov 4. 3 Replies

How could this be?

Started by stephen davies. Last reply by stephen davies Oct 28. 5 Replies

Is EBE tuning more tension or less?

Started by Warren Williams. Last reply by Warren Williams Oct 24. 4 Replies

Rough scarf joint seam

Started by Michael shrader. Last reply by Michael shrader Oct 23. 5 Replies

Fret sizes.

Started by neddy. Last reply by neddy Oct 18. 13 Replies

Scarf joint headstock

Started by Lou Ellis. Last reply by Taffy Evans Oct 9. 5 Replies

2 string cbg

Started by Dickie. Last reply by BrianQ. Sep 1. 5 Replies

A simple tuning peg question

Started by Warren Williams. Last reply by MadGomer Aug 26. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

P.E.Palfreyman updated their profile
18 minutes ago
Doc Helliday posted a discussion

Thoughts on the Wickedbucker?

Any of y'all have any experience or can recommend the Wickedbucker for a Reso biscuit style?I'm…See More
20 minutes ago
KOOL DOG HOOCH replied to KOOL DOG HOOCH's discussion Tuner screws (screwed)
"Hi Glenn, great hearing from you. You were about 2 hrs North of me and it would've been cool…"
29 minutes ago
Darryl Tuttle liked Uncle John's photo
32 minutes ago
Richard Sundberg posted a video

NEBULA

Instrument: DMR Big Payback CBG. Instrumental by Richard Sundberg
1 hour ago
John Bartlette updated their profile
1 hour ago
John Bartlette commented on Shane Speal shanespeal.com's group Introduce Yourself!
"John here, I'm 62 years old and about the only thing musical I could play was the radio. I was…"
1 hour ago
John Bartlette joined Shane Speal shanespeal.com's group
Thumbnail

Introduce Yourself!

We wanna know who you are! Where ya from? What'cha buildin'? This is a place for new members to…See More
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Uncle John's video
2 hours ago
Slowpaw Steve T replied to Slowpaw Steve T's discussion CIGAR BOX NATION CHRISTMAS ALBUM 2019
"hi Buggy! doin great, hope you and your family all well :)"
2 hours ago
Slowpaw Steve T replied to Slowpaw Steve T's discussion CIGAR BOX NATION CHRISTMAS ALBUM 2019
"hi Uncle John! expecting something from you, the fastest and most prolific songwriter on the…"
2 hours ago
"ok thanks Andries! ;)"
2 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->