So I found this blog by Richey Kay:

4 tips to make a CBG play and sound better

He recommends to use this string tension calculator

MPUSTC String Tension Calculator

However I can't figure out how to use it. It is set up for six strings and doesn't like it if you try to use less. Also which "hole" would I put my strings in anyway?

Can't make head nor tale of it.

Thanks.

Views: 43

Replies to This Discussion

It states in the instructions, that it will work only on the given templates in the pull down menu? But you can take the information from the strings that you intend to use like E,A,D (6,5,4) strings or A,D,G (5,4,3) strings, etc.  & not worry about the information of the rest of the strings since you’re only using 3 or 4 of the strings?

Yeah I know that but Richey Kay said he uses it for his CBGs.Unfortunately he doesn't give much advice about it.

I have the idea we should not use it for the 'overall'  tension but just use 3 of the entries and use the figures at the end of each line only. It's which of those 3 and how I'm trying to figure out.

Here’s some reading on choosing strings for a cbg? https://www.cigarboxguitar.com/knowledge-base/how-to-pick-the-right...  But, you could just buy a set of the Zilpha balanced tension strings from Chickenbone John, he has different gauge sets that are already road tested for comfort on cbg’s?

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Questions about CBG details...

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by BrianQ. 15 minutes ago. 5 Replies

General wiring question

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by James Pobog 20 hours ago. 5 Replies

Soldering/grounding plan

Started by T-Gripped. Last reply by Gus K on Saturday. 7 Replies

I'm gonna need help...

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by MadGomer on Friday. 4 Replies

Building my first CBG....

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by James Pobog on Wednesday. 6 Replies

About neck thru....

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by John Mark Perchalski Dec 4. 1 Reply

Fitting Frets

Started by neddy. Last reply by Taffy Evans Nov 27. 8 Replies

Joinery suggestions for hand-made boxes

Started by Chris Wharton. Last reply by MadGomer Nov 23. 43 Replies

Fretted....

Started by Jim Codog. Last reply by Jim Codog Nov 20. 5 Replies

Connecting a guitar jack?

Started by rick schoen. Last reply by David Clewell Nov 17. 5 Replies

Fretting for beginners

Started by Michael Myers. Last reply by MadGomer Nov 14. 3 Replies

Adjusting the action on a cbg 3 string.

Started by rick schoen. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Nov 11. 8 Replies

Tuner and nut question.

Started by Bill. Last reply by Gus K Nov 6. 12 Replies

Help with first tuning procedure.

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by Mark Bliss Nov 6. 3 Replies

Too far gone??

Started by T-Gripped. Last reply by Mark Bliss Nov 6. 7 Replies

Pickup query

Started by Arthur Payne. Last reply by Arthur Payne Nov 6. 11 Replies

How do I use this string tension calculator?

Started by Warren Williams. Last reply by BrianQ. Nov 4. 3 Replies

How could this be?

Started by stephen davies. Last reply by stephen davies Oct 28. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

3 String Guitars posted photos
9 minutes ago
BrianQ. replied to James Pobog's discussion Questions about CBG details... in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
15 minutes ago
3 String Guitars posted a video

Double Trouble - Triple Threat - Fuzzy Whitener on Cigar Box Guitar

Found this recording of Fuzzy playing CBG on my computer and wanted to share. These Cigar Box Guitars are for sale at the website https://reddogguitars.com o...
28 minutes ago
James Pobog replied to James Pobog's discussion Questions about CBG details... in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
"Cool. Thx."
36 minutes ago
BrianQ. replied to James Pobog's discussion Questions about CBG details... in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
"I'm saying that whether it has a pickup or not , it needs clearance between the lid? The box…"
43 minutes ago
Anthony adams commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

Duke Tape

"Nice music and nice mirror effect. Thanks Dave"
44 minutes ago
Anthony adams commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

The Duke of Padouk

"Your new Dog sounds very nice. Thanks Dave."
46 minutes ago
Daniel Walter replied to Paul Craig's discussion What's on your workbench?
"thank you Paul."
1 hour ago
James Pobog replied to James Pobog's discussion Questions about CBG details... in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
"Yep, a 3-string metal bridge. So, of it were to be only electric, I don't need clearance, but…"
1 hour ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

Duke Tape

"Thanks Uncle John. I think Duke isn’t as gruff as he looks."
2 hours ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

The Duke of Padouk

"Thanks Uncle John. I can’t put it down yet. It’s an easy play guit. I like sound…"
2 hours ago
"Easier to visualize if you included pics. define hardtail, do you mean a 3 string bridge? fyi, all…"
2 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->