Not a musician, barely know a bass clef from a treble clef, and you can forget about reading music....

So, stringing an instrument (I'm looking at the 2-string bass plans). Seems to me that the way to do it before getting out the tuner, is to rig the first (largest)string, and then start applying tension, listening for the point where the twang goes away and true notes start sounding, then go to the tuner and start looking for your first note, tuning up, not down. Example: note sounds good, but it's D and you want a B, so keep cranking til the first B comes around, not drop from the D to B because the twang starts.

Am I wrong?

Views: 80

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not entirely, 100% sure what you're asking. Firstly, I'd get out the battery powered tuner out right away. I'm not much of a musician, but I've found no reason not to let myself be entirely dependent on $10 tuners. I get a new one for each instrument.

You can certainly drop from D to B, there's no rules against this, no damage, temporary or permanent, afaik. Are you thinking a particular octave might not sounding good with your specific build?  Do you already have two strings you intend on using, or do you have a selection of gauges to pick from?  I've built a couple of Ukes, it's generally gCEA although doing "drop G" an octave down is sometimes desirable, esp. with some songs meant for guitar. I put on a different gauge string to achieve that, I don't tune the original string down. but this is all relative to other strings. Are you asking about just the very first string, or the second string after the first is tuned satisfactorally?

Actually I probably have no business answering this at all. Bear in mind, strings need stretching. This is particularly important for soprano ukes and small CGBs. They will go out of tune, a lot, until you break in the strings, stretching them as much as possible before setting them, and then again with several tunings. Being afraid to stretch strings out at the start just doesn't sound right to me. Being fearful to drop down a few notes would never work during the break-in process for a uke. The again, maybe there's bass-specific things I'm just not aware of.

" I'm not entirely, 100% sure what you're asking."
Um...maybe sneaking up on the first correct note I come to?

"Firstly, I'd get out the battery powered tuner out right away. I'm not much of a musician, but I've found no reason not to let myself be entirely dependent on $10 tuners. I get a new one for each instrument."
I've got a couple and I also use online tone generators.

"You can certainly drop from D to B, there's no rules against this, no damage, temporary or permanent, afaik. Are you thinking a particular octave might not sounding good with your specific build?"
I'm just entering territory that ...well...is beyond my very limited scope. This is where I'm trying to go...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fouke+rock&&view=detai...

"Do you already have two strings you intend on using, or do you have a selection of gauges to pick from?  I've built a couple of Ukes, it's generally gCEA although doing "drop G" an octave down is sometimes desirable, esp. with some songs meant for guitar. I put on a different gauge string to achieve that, I don't tune the original string down. but this is all relative to other strings. Are you asking about just the very first string, or the second string after the first is tuned satisfactorally?"
Baritone lap steel. Was recommended D'Darrio  XL 157's. I think theu are .014-.068 (some sets go over .070)

"Actually I probabl"y have no business answering this at all."
LOL... hell, I've got no  business building instruments I don't know how/can't to play...

I think your on the right track. 

If you know the target note, an audio reference can be handy, if for no other reason than to assure your in the right range, correct octave..... (Many times you can find reference tones for the desired pitch on YouTube, etc.)

Many a person has made the mistake of attempting to tune too high by mistake and breaking a string, or worse.

One problem with home made stuff however is sometimes we dont know the target exactly as it can often be a bit experimental if you dont plan a lot of things out ahead.

But in general, your point about tuning up, not down, is "sound advise" If you pass the target, back down and ease up to it again. It will soon become second nature. Also you will find that the tension change of tuning one string effects the pitch of the other(s) and you end up going back and forth, gently tweaking.. Then as Christopher correctly points out, new strings stretch and settle in. You'll likely get plenty of tuning practice early on. Its just part of the learning curve!

Dont be intimidated by the lack of experience. Just dive in and explore. You'll learn far faster that way.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Fretted....

Started by Jim Codog. Last reply by Jim Codog yesterday. 5 Replies

Joinery suggestions for hand-made boxes

Started by Chris Wharton. Last reply by Chris Wharton yesterday. 42 Replies

Connecting a guitar jack?

Started by rick schoen. Last reply by David Clewell on Monday. 5 Replies

Fretting for beginners

Started by Michael Myers. Last reply by MadGomer Nov 14. 3 Replies

Adjusting the action on a cbg 3 string.

Started by rick schoen. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Nov 11. 8 Replies

Fitting Frets

Started by neddy. Last reply by Taffy Evans Nov 10. 6 Replies

Tuner and nut question.

Started by Bill. Last reply by Gus K Nov 6. 12 Replies

Help with first tuning procedure.

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by Mark Bliss Nov 6. 3 Replies

Too far gone??

Started by T-Gripped. Last reply by Mark Bliss Nov 6. 7 Replies

Pickup query

Started by Arthur Payne. Last reply by Arthur Payne Nov 6. 11 Replies

How do I use this string tension calculator?

Started by Warren Williams. Last reply by BrianQ. Nov 4. 3 Replies

How could this be?

Started by stephen davies. Last reply by stephen davies Oct 28. 5 Replies

Is EBE tuning more tension or less?

Started by Warren Williams. Last reply by Warren Williams Oct 24. 4 Replies

Rough scarf joint seam

Started by Michael shrader. Last reply by Michael shrader Oct 23. 5 Replies

Fret sizes.

Started by neddy. Last reply by neddy Oct 18. 13 Replies

Scarf joint headstock

Started by Lou Ellis. Last reply by Taffy Evans Oct 9. 5 Replies

2 string cbg

Started by Dickie. Last reply by BrianQ. Sep 1. 5 Replies

A simple tuning peg question

Started by Warren Williams. Last reply by MadGomer Aug 26. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

KOOL DOG HOOCH replied to KOOL DOG HOOCH's discussion Tuner screws (screwed)
"These were in a small plastic box with a lid, at the time I was working on the frets and smacked…"
28 minutes ago
Mikeyd joined Shane Speal shanespeal.com's group
Thumbnail

Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101

This group is for discussing the basics of CBG building for newer builders - where to start, what…See More
36 minutes ago
Anthony adams commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

Isabela Polka

"Interesting! Thanks Dave"
46 minutes ago
James Pobog replied to James Pobog's discussion Question about pre-amps
"There's a user-mod of a toggle switch on the back that looks like it is now a radio/extension…"
54 minutes ago
James Pobog replied to James Pobog's discussion Question about pre-amps
"Here's the little adapter..."
58 minutes ago
Cpt. Nemoff posted photos
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Dave Lynas's photo
Thumbnail

Bug Juice cups

"Not yet. I like it when you get into pottery and art mode."
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Jerry Jordan's photo
Thumbnail

Gremlins II

"Very cool.  I recognize his head stock.  Was this a bonus included with the harp git?"
1 hour ago
Uncle John replied to Slowpaw Steve T's discussion CIGAR BOX NATION CHRISTMAS ALBUM 2019
"STEVE!   Nice to see you active.  You always made good music and good…"
1 hour ago
Uncle John replied to KOOL DOG HOOCH's discussion Tuner screws (screwed)
"As stated below, Gitty sells them.  I bought a bunch years ago and they were a good buy. …"
1 hour ago
Chris Wharton commented on Chris Wharton's video
Thumbnail

Dovetails CBG

"Thanks, all. Shoot, Uncle John, I'm not sure what's up. It does seem to ask me to…"
1 hour ago
Uncle John replied to KOOL DOG HOOCH's discussion Tuner screws (screwed)
"As stated below, Gitty sells them.  I bought a bunch years ago and they were a good buy. …"
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->