On my latest build I used a hard-tail bridge for the first time. I had a couple of issues with it but with help from members of this forum got it all installed and the result is pretty good.   However, I do have another query

The top of the box is quite thin, about 5mm. (just between 3/16" and 1/4") and I assumed that this would not support the tension of the strings if the bridge was screwed just to the top. This being the case I added a couple of wings to the neck just under the bridge and fixed the bridge to them. Is this the accepted way to to fit these things?

It seems to me that this hasl affected the resonance from the box and the sound from the instrument. It just doesn't sound as "bright" as my previous efforts

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Art.

Views: 161

Replies to This Discussion

Haven't used a hard tail bridge on any of my builds, but it seems as if by nature they spread the contact area of the bridge over a larger surface of the box and by doing so will dampen the vibrations passed to the top. I would think that they will work fine with an electric pickup, but not as well for sound transfer acoustically. The best sounding acoustic build I have done has a threaded rod for the bridge supported on the ends by nuts with the only contact to the lid of the box from the nuts. It sounds great through the pickup to, but sings beautifully unplugged.

That’s how I did it.  Gluing wings on the neck under the bridge won’t affect tone.  The type of wood used in the neck and body and the style of attaching it does (neck through vs bolt on vs glue on).  Neck through tend to be brighter with better sustain.  Maple is the brightest of the commonly used wood for guitars.  The more resin in the wood, which usually also makes it darker, tends to dampen the sound and makes it more mellow.

'Brightness' can also be affected by the depth of the box.  A thinner box tends to sound brighter than a deeper one.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions

Art.

I use the hard tail for mag pickup amplification.  I have also used individual roller bridges, since they are not platformed with a single base, they offer more individual articulation, on an acoustic/piezo build

Thanks Tim, I'm building a couple more and still experimenting.

I’m new and experimenting and having a blast.  Hope you are too

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Intonation problem

Started by Ramson. Last reply by Ramson on Tuesday. 11 Replies

Pickup to string distance

Started by Lou Ellis. Last reply by Lou Ellis Apr 9. 8 Replies

What strings should be used for 4 string cbc tuned to GDGD?

Started by Will "KOOLDOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Paul Craig Apr 8. 3 Replies

Springs in an acoustic cbg

Started by Will "KOOLDOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by the anonymous pick Apr 7. 3 Replies

Bonehead rookie mistake

Started by Michael shrader. Last reply by Will "KOOLDOG HOOCH" Bonner Apr 7. 24 Replies

Neck, sound hole, strings and Bridge question.

Started by Will "KOOLDOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Will "KOOLDOG HOOCH" Bonner Apr 4. 9 Replies

Power tools - what buy next?

Started by Charles Z. Last reply by John Sawyer Apr 4. 6 Replies

Fretboard radius, is it to late?

Started by Ramson. Last reply by Ramson Mar 26. 7 Replies

Help

Started by Pat Welch. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Feb 26. 7 Replies

Hard- tail bridge question

Started by Arthur Payne. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Feb 26. 7 Replies

Space between Box top and Neck?

Started by Arthur Payne. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Feb 25. 11 Replies

Tuning ptoblem

Started by Arthur Payne. Last reply by Arthur Payne Feb 14. 14 Replies

Wooden bridges for CBG

Started by Lou Ellis. Last reply by Lou Ellis Feb 13. 5 Replies

Volume Is On When Knob Is Turned Off

Started by Steve Allen. Last reply by Steve Allen Jan 13. 9 Replies

Adjustable bridge problem

Started by Arthur Payne. Last reply by BrianQ. Dec 12, 2018. 6 Replies

Bloomin' wiring again! Pulling my hair out haha

Started by Slow Blues Dani & Ol' Grey Bear. Last reply by Slow Blues Dani & Ol' Grey Bear Dec 10, 2018. 14 Replies

Build 4 - buzz from inside body?

Started by Sean Murphy. Last reply by Sean Murphy Dec 1, 2018. 5 Replies

Mini Humbucker wiring

Started by Arthur Payne. Last reply by BrianQ. Nov 22, 2018. 1 Reply

Latest Activity

Jim Morris commented on Jim Morris's video
Thumbnail

Cookie Tin Banjo - Magpie

"Thanks Derek. My wife said it's my loudest banjo so far. I don't think she meant it as a…"
1 minute ago
2 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Cookie Tin Banjo - Magpie

"Thank you Andries!"
2 minutes ago
Dave Lynas posted a video

Spring Rain Blues

Earth Day 2019. Daniel’s lap steel, Robert’s Royals 3 string CBG, Jersey Cream Diddle Fiddle dubs by Dave Lynas
5 minutes ago
Daniel Walter commented on Bruce Young's photo
Thumbnail

Headless tailpiece prototype

"very interesting. can't wait to see where the strings go......."
17 minutes ago
Daniel Walter commented on Del Puckett's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar - MAGIC

"nice bell sounds. i closed my eyes and replayed it, does sound like an old tower bell. and, yes,…"
21 minutes ago
amos liked Poorness Studios's photo
26 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Jim Morris's video
36 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Derek Rose's video
39 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Del Puckett's video
46 minutes ago
Derek Rose commented on Derek Rose's video
Thumbnail

All the Light from the Sun

"Thanks Andries, good to hear you like it! It's not autobiographical, fortunately, so all is…"
46 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Chris Lyons's photo
48 minutes ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->