I have built two 3 string guitars so far. Gathering parts and working on my third currently. I know that these CBG's can be tuned many different ways. When building my first two I remember reading that "open G" was a good place to start so I ordered the recommended strings from C.B. Gitty and tuned them to "open G" which is....G,D,G.  or so I thought.

Looking at Gitty's listing to buy more strings I see the same strings that I bought previously. They say they are for "open G" tuning but it has them listed as G,B,D or G,B,E tuning. In fact I don't even see a string set that has G,D,G listed as open G tuning.

So....what is Open G tuning? What strings are what? What is a good string set for 3 string tuning?

Views: 4222

Replies to This Discussion

GO TO CIGARBOX101.COM SEE ESSENTIAL CORDS FOR OPEN G TUNING THIS MIGHT CLEAR THINGS UP

Hey Tom, I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions......and they're ALL right! It's whatever works for you. What works for me is string gauges .042, .032, .024 . All wound strings of course. I use electric guitar strings with a magnetic pickup and acoustic guitar strings with a piezo. My CBG's are fretless. I tune G D G .

Any tuning that allows you to strum across the three strings and play notes that are in the G-major chord are "Open G tunings".  So, without listing every possibility, any tuning that gives you some selection of G's, B's, and D's.  Your G-D-g tuning is very versatile one because it gives a larger range than any of the triad tunings, and also is a "power-chord", i.e. it has no third in it, so it can be either major or minor.  You could stretch a point ans say the G,B,E is an open-G tuning, even though the E isn't in the G chord.  It's really an open G6 tuning, if you want to be really obsessive about accuracy.

As far as a good string set for a 3-string tuning is concerned, it really depends on a lot of things, mostly scale length and what notes you want the open strings to play.  Could you be a little more specific?

To simplify an answer to the "strings for GDG tuning", use the ADG strings (5, 4, 3) from a standard 6 string set. Tune the A string down to a G, and tune the other two normally (D & G).

Open G tuning refers to either a three note chord, in the key of G, ould be GDB or GBD, or DGB. As a 2 note power chord, it would be GDg.

I use .012, .016, and .024 on all my cbg. With those I either tune gdg or dad. I fret all the sticks. No slide for me. 

An open G chord comprises G, B, D, so you can use any combination of those notes (tones) comprise a G chord.
Now in plain language use what sounds good to you from those tones. You can do GBD, GBG, GDG, or even invert it and do BDG! Or even DGB. The E is the seventh of the chord and makes the chord a G7. Use those notes and make it sound like you want it to sound.

"The E is the seventh of the chord and makes the chord a G7"  Not to be a total PITA about it, but it's the 6th, not the 7th.  (Where are those smileys when you need one...)

Roger on the smileys - and on the comment.  F natural, the flatted 7th tone, would be the note that makes a regular "G7" chord.  The 7th tone of the G major scale is F sharp but that makes a Gmaj7 chord that doesn't show up that often in songs.

But that's kind of off the subject of the original thread.  To answer the OP:  most guys, and most video lessons you can buy or find on YouTube, are assuming GDg and I don't have a clue why Gitty prints what they do on their string sets.

I see the use of a lowercase character to specify a pitch (GDg).  Visualizing a piano keyboard, where do the uppercase and lowercase pitches fall? Is G and octave lower than g?

Yep, with GDg tuning, "g" is an octave higher than "G".

Tom, C B Gitty part # 34-010-01 Uncle Enos Blues Blasters work very well for me. They tune to G D g . They are medium weight bronze wound #44 #34 and #26.  

What rotten roger said. I've used those on all my builds. Tuned GDg, they hold tune well and have a great sound.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Questions about CBG details...

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by James Pobog on Friday. 8 Replies

Magnetic Pickups - What's good

Started by Jim Codog. Last reply by Jim Codog on Thursday. 7 Replies

Yardstick Fretboards

Started by Jim Codog. Last reply by Jim Codog on Wednesday. 6 Replies

General wiring question

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by James Pobog Dec 9. 5 Replies

Soldering/grounding plan

Started by T-Gripped. Last reply by Gus K Dec 7. 7 Replies

I'm gonna need help...

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by MadGomer Dec 6. 4 Replies

Building my first CBG....

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by James Pobog Dec 4. 6 Replies

About neck thru....

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by John Mark Perchalski Dec 4. 1 Reply

Fitting Frets

Started by neddy. Last reply by Taffy Evans Nov 27. 8 Replies

Joinery suggestions for hand-made boxes

Started by Chris Wharton. Last reply by MadGomer Nov 23. 43 Replies

Fretted....

Started by Jim Codog. Last reply by Jim Codog Nov 20. 5 Replies

Connecting a guitar jack?

Started by rick schoen. Last reply by David Clewell Nov 17. 5 Replies

Fretting for beginners

Started by Michael Myers. Last reply by MadGomer Nov 14. 3 Replies

Adjusting the action on a cbg 3 string.

Started by rick schoen. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Nov 11. 8 Replies

Tuner and nut question.

Started by Bill. Last reply by Gus K Nov 6. 12 Replies

Help with first tuning procedure.

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by Mark Bliss Nov 6. 3 Replies

Too far gone??

Started by T-Gripped. Last reply by Mark Bliss Nov 6. 7 Replies

Pickup query

Started by Arthur Payne. Last reply by Arthur Payne Nov 6. 11 Replies

Latest Activity

Downtown Vinnie posted a video

Subconscious Tug O War

Visions of left field
25 minutes ago
the anonymous pick commented on Anthony Insetta's video
Thumbnail

December 15, 2019

"swampy unpluggy  yummy"
1 hour ago
James Pobog posted a discussion

Granddaughters CBG

Fitment stage...…See More
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Anthony Insetta's video
Thumbnail

December 15, 2019

"Enjoying that swampy and sounding good!"
4 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

Texas Special

"That finger is good.  It must have a good callous too."
4 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

Texas Special

"Thatcher is pretty good.  I think I hear a second instrument.   Nice LPG."
4 hours ago
Anthony Insetta posted a video
4 hours ago
Dave Lynas posted a video

Texas Special

3 string LPG Resonator with Wiggins Pickup. Headed over seas. By Davy One Finger
4 hours ago
Rough Cut Tom commented on Rough Cut Tom's video
Thumbnail

The Dulci-matic by Rough Cut Guitars

"Hey thanks Keith! It's tuned Dadd bottom to top. I use Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 bronze on my…"
5 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Uncle John's video
6 hours ago
AGP # commented on Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's photo
Thumbnail

#32 ,#5, 4 string Comish Guitty

"Nice to see Bones, now get back to work before the house falls down!  :-D"
7 hours ago
AGP # liked Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's photo
7 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->