I've recently finished my first build, a CB Gitty kit. It appears to have ignited a spark inside and I'm already planning a second build.

I've managed to come across this Camacho box. The colours and high gloss finish are, to my eye, simply stunning. The lid & sides are quite thick, about 9.5mm or 3/8" while the base is 3mm or 1/8" and is covered in felt on the outside.

My question is whether it would it be better as acoustic or electric. Does it make any difference at all? Any advice on style of build suitable for this box would be most gratefully received!

Views: 192

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Warren, first off, welcome to the addiction!!!  I would expect that box to be best utilized for an electric guitar.  That's not to say you couldn't make it acoustic, but it will take quite a bit more effort in all likelihood.  To get a decent acoustic response and still show off that glossy top, you'd have to remove quite a bit of material from the bottom face of the lid, and even then depending on the material in the lid it may not yield a good acoustic result.  I'd suggest a 3, 4, or 6 string with a nice mag pickup.  

That's exactly what I needed to know. Looks like my next build will be electric, so I'm off to the drawing board to work out what I'm going to do with it. Thank you for your help.

Warren,  Brian is the big dog around here.  I love the flat pups, I use them almost exclusively.  It will make a great electric, but please paint tape the areas you are working on cause those tops are very easy to scratch.  

MadGomer, is a big dog too

Welcome Warren,

MadGomer is a 100% correct.  Thick tops (sound boards) are best used as electric guitar.  The great acousticals Have a much thinner sound board, think a standard Dreadlock acousti, the sound board is very thin.  Padron is a great example of a great sound board.

Thank you Tim!

Warren, like Madgomer said, you could thin out the underside of the lid. However, if you have done this, then you know it can be a pain, especially if it’s MDF? Another option is to use the bottom of the box, which is always the thinnest part of the box, but I get that you’re trying to showcase the top, so you might not want to? Most of the builds I have seen using that box have been electric, with that said, there’s nothing keeping you from trying.  I would throw a Flatpup on it & move on to the next. Good luck on this one :)

P.S. another idea is to look through the Pics section for builds that have used this box, or simply use the “Search” box at the top right of the page for other members Camacho builds?

Thank you. Yeah, I definitely want the top on show. I'm not too au fait with parts as yet, can you tell me what a Flatpup is? I assume it's a pickup of some sort?

Thanks for the tip on searching for others with the same box. I'll have a good look.

Warren, here's an example of a flatpup, many other options to choose from.  CB Gitty is a good source.  

https://www.flatpup.com/

These are nice because they simply mount on the surface, just as long as your fretboard and bridge design provides sufficient string height.  Other mag pickups would require that you carve out the top and potentially the neck to get the right clearance.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Tres Cubano Build

Started by Paul Craig. Last reply by Paul Craig Aug 28. 12 Replies

Hard metal bridges

Started by Michael Myers. Last reply by Taffy Evans Jul 29. 1 Reply

Getting the most sustain on a fretless CBG.

Started by Joe Plotts. Last reply by Taffy Evans Jun 30. 4 Replies

2nd Build Electronics Questions

Started by Steven Adler. Last reply by Steven Adler Apr 20. 4 Replies

yard sticks for fret boards

Started by Raymond L. Last reply by the anonymous pick Apr 17. 3 Replies

Where in the UK.

Started by Ian MCDONALD. Last reply by Lazylefteye Mar 28. 4 Replies

whaaaaaa?

Started by andrew payton-smith. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 7. 11 Replies

wiring a split coil mini humbucker

Started by Don Tucker. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 6. 2 Replies

Canjo tuning

Started by declan foley. Last reply by Taffy Evans Nov 23, 2020. 18 Replies

License Plates for LPGs

Started by T-Gripped. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Nov 13, 2020. 6 Replies

Box style - acoustic or electric

Started by Warren McLennan. Last reply by Tim Pannabecker Aug 7, 2020. 13 Replies

Obvious overlooked error. Do I rebuild this neck?

Started by Michael shrader. Last reply by mitch jones Jun 5, 2020. 9 Replies

Neck is bowing

Started by Lou Ellis. Last reply by Paul Craig Apr 21, 2020. 10 Replies

Too far gone??

Started by T-Gripped. Last reply by BrianQ. Mar 30, 2020. 13 Replies

Finishing Fretboard

Started by Jeffrey Phillips. Last reply by Gus K Mar 4, 2020. 5 Replies

Yardstick Fretboards

Started by Jim Codog. Last reply by Gus K Feb 17, 2020. 9 Replies

Snake oil pick up install question

Started by Michael shrader. Last reply by Gus K Feb 17, 2020. 1 Reply

Walnut overload

Started by 3 Chord Ziggy. Last reply by 3 Chord Ziggy Feb 16, 2020. 21 Replies

Questions on a first time electric build.

Started by Michael shrader. Last reply by John Mark Perchalski Jan 27, 2020. 4 Replies

Questions about CBG details...

Started by James Pobog. Last reply by James Pobog Dec 13, 2019. 8 Replies

Blog Posts

Mr. Bells

Posted by Stephen Cohen on September 4, 2021 at 12:30pm 0 Comments

Bookie's Poor Man's Dobro

Posted by Steve Bookout on July 18, 2021 at 2:04pm 4 Comments

Get your groove on for free

Posted by François on July 13, 2021 at 3:05pm 1 Comment

Latest Activity

Cigar Box Blues commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Outhouse Row. Got TP? Dave L fore ground and Mose in the back.

"she belongs to the world's collection John!...I found it in an online library in Florida about…"
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Our friend, Dave Lynas, passed away Friday, 9,17,21

"He was a man of many talents and freely shared them with us. We have been blessed!!!"
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Jerry Jordan's photo
Thumbnail

3x3=9

"Wow! Those are wild Jerry. Sure to stand out in a crowd."
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Good playing fretless. GDG.

"Nice, clean looking build Uncle John! I haven’t really fooled around with slide; having too…"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Dave Lynas art

"Five thumbs up!!!"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Rich's photo
Thumbnail

Padron 4 hole head stock back

"Back side of the same record! I get it Rich!!!"
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

Padron 4 hole whole

"A real looker Rich! You brought your “A Game” artistic flair."
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

RTL Fret markers - Commercial Sign Vinyl

"Trade secrets reveals! Great idea Rich."
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

Padron 4 hole front

"Love the sound holes Rich! They really pop with the black screening; very…"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on GARAGE HERMIT's photo
Thumbnail

tennis racquet git

"Very cool Garage Hermit! I haven’t seen one done with a metal tennis racket; you aced it."
2 hours ago
Randy S. Bretz posted a photo
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Outhouse Row. Got TP? Dave L fore ground and Mose in the back.

"Oh!~  I see it now, Brian.  That tricky Dave."
3 hours ago

Music

© 2021   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->