Working  on my second build. Finished notching the neck and putting in the nut slot. Then my brain went to mush. I marked the tuner holes wrong and drilled them. I was so concerned about getting the holes straight that I failed to notice that two holes were off. Enough so that my tuner plates are interfering with each other. Trying to glue in some plugs and drill again. Not going to look pretty I fear. Anyone else ever made a dumb mistake?  Think I’ll create a template for the next builds. This build I consider a technique exercise anyhow. Ideas on how I might disguise my screw up outside of starting over?

Views: 349

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks. I was thinking of veneer if need be. Good to know others have had success doing the same.

Hi, I was wondering how I missed this thread, now I see I have to look around this site more. I joined 101 after having a look.

I was drawn by the comments regarding perfection. I feel one has to be doing, let's say instrument building, for long period of time before looking for perfection in their work. I strive for perfection a step at a time. Building a guitar even a CBG has many steps, do each step to the best of your ability aiming for top quality in execution and finish. In time this will become second nature, and perfection may follow.

i have been working with instruments for over 45 years, including $8000au Martins through all top factory guitars, even a Gibson Mastertone banjo, none have been"perfect ". 

Guitars that are perfection don't come into my world.

What I have seen as a repairer over all these years has taught me that if I'm building to better quality, and often tone, than the big name producers, I can be proud of my instruments.

But they still ain't perfection. I have heard it said that the mark of a good builder is the skill used in disguising blemishes and mistakes.

Taff

Well said Taff. Thinking of striving for perfection step by step really resonated with me. I’ll look at this experience as just a step in developing my skills in disguising blemishes and mistakes.

It can be frustrating, I think it's part of the deal, I guess. I've even measured twice and had to cut 2-3 times!

I've learned a lot from my mistakes... so much that I am considering making a few more...

I think I’ll make a few more too. Hopefully not in this build though.

Drilled tuner hole wrong, so bought plug cutter that works. Cut fret in wrong place, used same wood saw dust and white glue fill hole recut. If you can use a floating bridge do so until you know the intonation is right,  learned the hard way. tooth pick and wood shavings are great for small holes. The more you build the more you screw up.

Ha ha, I like this slogan better RTZ  " the more you build the more your screw up's become less".

I believe in the power of positive thinking.

A tip for sorting the intonation of a glued on bridge. Put  the two G strings on the guitar, slide your bridge under the strings [no glue] and slide back and forth to fine tune. Then mark the position and glue the bridge on when ready.

Taff

Make mistakes? Moi?

I must have done them all. Tuners mounted upside down. Tuners mounted left to right. Bridge too thin. Headstock too thick so the tuners couldn't reach out. Nut too thin. Bridge too high. Frets uneven. Chunky necks. Necks that bend as you put the tension on the strings. Volume know that doesn't work. Tone knob that doesn't work. Gain knob soldered upside down. Cracked pieces..........

I also damaged a few tools in the process.

That's why epoxy is now my best friend... or at least was until I got some on my favorite shirt...

I just made a poplar neck got it all notched and drilled then glued the slotted fret board on upside down. Now I got nice template for the next neck. 

hi, I made a mistake, mistake, mistake just recently. Well it was actually the same mistake made three times over. After the first time I new what I did wrong, but still done it again and again and when I got it right I wrecked the piece so still had to do it again.

I was making a new brace to go into a guitar I was repairing. I was working with mirrors inside the guitar so as to fit the brace in between other braces already in the guitar.

In the photo the piece at the front is the template I made, it fits either way round, but when the brace was formed it had a right and wrong way of going into position. Dah!!

Taff

Working with mirrors inside the guitar! I bet I could beat your 3 times!

Print a picture(flag, dog, wife) a little bigger then the head, cut it to shape. Lightly spray with clear coat, after it dry. Spread "Elmer's glue" thinly on the head place print-out in position, work out bubbles. After it drugs, coat with a thin coat of glue cut out the hole with a hobby knife and reassemble.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

How could this be?

Started by stephen davies. Last reply by stephen davies Jul 9. 2 Replies

Grounding

Started by Robert M J Loftus. Last reply by stephen davies Jun 30. 6 Replies

Pickup Placement on High G Ukulele

Started by Chris Sturhann. Last reply by Chris Sturhann Jun 19. 2 Replies

Shipping

Started by Virginia Bill. Last reply by Jim Brown Jun 12. 4 Replies

Neck Bowing?

Started by Craig Cole. Last reply by Craig Cole Jun 11. 11 Replies

Springs in an acoustic cbg

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner Jun 1. 8 Replies

Weird Little Install Issue

Started by Craig Cole. Last reply by Craig Cole Jun 1. 5 Replies

CBGitty Amp kit

Started by Art Prior. Last reply by Paul Craig May 31. 4 Replies

Earthing Strings

Started by mitch jones. Last reply by mitch jones May 18. 7 Replies

Like a box of chocolates

Started by Michael shrader. Last reply by Michael shrader May 11. 3 Replies

Intonation problem

Started by Ramson. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner May 3. 14 Replies

Pure and simple CBG

Started by Bill McNamara. Last reply by Craig Cole Apr 30. 6 Replies

Scale length for 17" box

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson Apr 30. 29 Replies

Pickup to string distance

Started by Lou Ellis. Last reply by Lou Ellis Apr 9. 8 Replies

What strings should be used for 4 string cbc tuned to GDGD?

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Paul Craig Apr 8. 3 Replies

Bonehead rookie mistake

Started by Michael shrader. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner Apr 7. 24 Replies

Neck, sound hole, strings and Bridge question.

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner Apr 4. 9 Replies

Power tools - what buy next?

Started by Charles Z. Last reply by John Sawyer Apr 4. 6 Replies

Fretboard radius, is it to late?

Started by Ramson. Last reply by Ramson Mar 26. 7 Replies

Blog Posts

My mistake at the markets

Posted by Rick Tish on August 22, 2019 at 9:27am 0 Comments

Indiana State Fair

Posted by Rick Tish on August 19, 2019 at 7:46pm 0 Comments

Buying in bulk

Posted by Rick Tish on August 17, 2019 at 6:31pm 2 Comments

Shellac

Posted by Rick Tish on August 15, 2019 at 7:08pm 0 Comments

Latest Activity

Adam Jellison commented on Adam Jellison's photo
Thumbnail

20190809_114750

"Uncle John, Man these things are so cool.  Just watched Shane Speal do a video about these and…"
10 minutes ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson commented on Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson's video
Thumbnail

Feeling Bad Blues on CBG

"Thanks Dave, a bit too much ghost sound on this I need to work on my trailing fingers :))"
32 minutes ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson commented on Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson's video
Thumbnail

Feeling Bad Blues on CBG

"Thanks Dave, a bit too much ghost sound on this i need to work on my trailing finger work :))"
34 minutes ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

North Shore Adventure

"What a lovely day & setting, perfect background theme to go with it nice one Dave :))"
38 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on David Pendlebury's video
Thumbnail
"Me neither. Can’t see it."
39 minutes ago
Dave Lynas liked Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson's video
40 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson's video
Thumbnail

Feeling Bad Blues on CBG

"Very nice sound Denbo. One excellent guitar!"
41 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

Frankie & Johnny

"Thanks, Dennis.  That's the style that comes naturally!"
44 minutes ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

Frankie & Johnny

"Classic track UJ, superbly performed in unmistakable Uncle John style :))"
45 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

North Shore Adventure

"Our annual traipse up the shore Uncle. Like a baptism."
52 minutes ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson liked Shawn's photo
53 minutes ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
53 minutes ago

Events

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->