Working on my second build. Finished notching the neck and putting in the nut slot. Then my brain went to mush. I marked the tuner holes wrong and drilled them. I was so concerned about getting the holes straight that I failed to notice that two holes were off. Enough so that my tuner plates are interfering with each other. Trying to glue in some plugs and drill again. Not going to look pretty I fear. Anyone else ever made a dumb mistake? Think I’ll create a template for the next builds. This build I consider a technique exercise anyhow. Ideas on how I might disguise my screw up outside of starting over?
Hi, I was wondering how I missed this thread, now I see I have to look around this site more. I joined 101 after having a look.
I was drawn by the comments regarding perfection. I feel one has to be doing, let's say instrument building, for long period of time before looking for perfection in their work. I strive for perfection a step at a time. Building a guitar even a CBG has many steps, do each step to the best of your ability aiming for top quality in execution and finish. In time this will become second nature, and perfection may follow.
i have been working with instruments for over 45 years, including $8000au Martins through all top factory guitars, even a Gibson Mastertone banjo, none have been"perfect ".
Guitars that are perfection don't come into my world.
What I have seen as a repairer over all these years has taught me that if I'm building to better quality, and often tone, than the big name producers, I can be proud of my instruments.
But they still ain't perfection. I have heard it said that the mark of a good builder is the skill used in disguising blemishes and mistakes.
It can be frustrating, I think it's part of the deal, I guess. I've even measured twice and had to cut 2-3 times!
I've learned a lot from my mistakes... so much that I am considering making a few more...
Drilled tuner hole wrong, so bought plug cutter that works. Cut fret in wrong place, used same wood saw dust and white glue fill hole recut. If you can use a floating bridge do so until you know the intonation is right, learned the hard way. tooth pick and wood shavings are great for small holes. The more you build the more you screw up.
Ha ha, I like this slogan better RTZ " the more you build the more your screw up's become less".
I believe in the power of positive thinking.
A tip for sorting the intonation of a glued on bridge. Put the two G strings on the guitar, slide your bridge under the strings [no glue] and slide back and forth to fine tune. Then mark the position and glue the bridge on when ready.
Make mistakes? Moi?
I must have done them all. Tuners mounted upside down. Tuners mounted left to right. Bridge too thin. Headstock too thick so the tuners couldn't reach out. Nut too thin. Bridge too high. Frets uneven. Chunky necks. Necks that bend as you put the tension on the strings. Volume know that doesn't work. Tone knob that doesn't work. Gain knob soldered upside down. Cracked pieces..........
I also damaged a few tools in the process.
That's why epoxy is now my best friend... or at least was until I got some on my favorite shirt...
I just made a poplar neck got it all notched and drilled then glued the slotted fret board on upside down. Now I got nice template for the next neck.
hi, I made a mistake, mistake, mistake just recently. Well it was actually the same mistake made three times over. After the first time I new what I did wrong, but still done it again and again and when I got it right I wrecked the piece so still had to do it again.
I was making a new brace to go into a guitar I was repairing. I was working with mirrors inside the guitar so as to fit the brace in between other braces already in the guitar.
In the photo the piece at the front is the template I made, it fits either way round, but when the brace was formed it had a right and wrong way of going into position. Dah!!
Print a picture(flag, dog, wife) a little bigger then the head, cut it to shape. Lightly spray with clear coat, after it dry. Spread "Elmer's glue" thinly on the head place print-out in position, work out bubbles. After it drugs, coat with a thin coat of glue cut out the hole with a hobby knife and reassemble.