I finished my long-threatened swiss-army kalimba today. The Rumba Stick (see the album for details on the pictures) is a rake-tine kalimba mounted on the top of a previously-rejected Carlos Toraño Ovation box. I rejected the box because the "pretty" finish turned out to be some icky plastic coating, with even the bottom covered in nasty faux velvet (what were they thinking?)
Later I started the kalimba part, loosely following Dennis Havlena's plans for a rake tine kalimba.

I got frustrated with trying to tune it, and set it aside. At one point I threatened to make it into
a bass, and just leave the kalimba tines as sympathetic chines. Today, I got around to it: I used the rake handle as a through-neck, and put an old drawer.handle on the now-stripped back (masonite,
no less) as a bridge.

I used an old furniture screw to mount a prototype "jingle" instrument on the top of the handle, to allow the beer-caps to ring when the stick is thumped to the floor or shaken.

I strung up the bass with eyebolts and weed-whacker line left over from my "doodle base" build. The two strings are tuned to a low G and the D below it (the root and dominant of the kalimba's diatonic scale).
I also managed to get the kalimba tunable by screwing in a third screw in the center, allowing me to keep enough tension on the bar to keep already-tuned tines stable.

I can play simple melodies on the kalimba with one hand, and pluck the bass strings as "drone" notes with the fingers holding the stick. To get other notes on the bass, I would need to turn it upside down and "fret" it against the handle like a washtub bass.

I'm pretty happy with the funky, sculptural quality. Don't know that I will be playing out with it anywhere, but it has been a lot of fun to push it to completion.

Views: 1114

Replies to This Discussion

You may have stumbled onto something, Tres. Good things sometimes come from things that don't work out like we planned. Love that box.
Determination pays off ! What a wild and crazy build. I love it, it is one of the best ever, originality over the top.
Coooooooool build, Tres! Post some tunage...stat!
Cool build, Tres! I like the total funk factor that you have going with this thing.... looks like it would be a lot of fun to play. I also hate what they did to those boxes with that plastic stuff and velvet.... I have a few in my collection as well. I thought they might make a better jewlry box or purse than they would an instrument but you've proved that theory wrong!
Thanks, all! Here is a quickly hacked-together recording multi-tracking all three main sounds:
play If that doesn't play for you, it is also the first track on my profile page.

Well by golly it's not Glen Miller or henry mancini, nor even Flatt & Scruggs, but it sure brought a smile here!

Gosh I'll bet you're having fun with it!

Best

rc

Crazy design.... I love unique & usual things. Way to go !!!!
Jules

WOW! Very unique and downright funky build, Tres. You've inspired me to find some material for the tines and get to work on one of these. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

I made 3 Kalimbas. Yay!

Started by Estone Villan. Last reply by Estone Villan Apr 30, 2017. 2 Replies

First Kalimba build

Started by Greg Thompson. Last reply by Graham Alibone Feb 1, 2015. 2 Replies

My kalimba

Started by Jantan ux Aug 18, 2013. 0 Replies

Stack 'Em Up!

Started by George Durbin. Last reply by George Durbin Aug 17, 2013. 5 Replies

Rumba Stick

Started by Tres Seaver. Last reply by Gary Wensley Jan 12, 2013. 8 Replies

More by SaReGaMa The Artist

Started by Diane in Chicago Dec 4, 2012. 0 Replies

customizing a Hugh Tracey Alto

Started by Diane in Chicago. Last reply by Diane in Chicago Sep 26, 2012. 5 Replies

retuning another Hugh Tracey

Started by Diane in Chicago. Last reply by Diane in Chicago Mar 19, 2012. 2 Replies

Less is more

Started by Diane in Chicago. Last reply by Tres Seaver Oct 9, 2010. 1 Reply

Pitch Bending with a Kalimba

Started by Alan Roberts. Last reply by HENRY LOWMAN May 11, 2010. 1 Reply

The Tine Report

Started by Diane in Chicago. Last reply by Alan Roberts Apr 28, 2010. 1 Reply

Silverware chest Kalimba with interchangable tine sets!

Started by Diane in Chicago. Last reply by Diane in Chicago Apr 15, 2010. 6 Replies

Tuning the wild kalimba

Started by Alan Roberts. Last reply by Diane in Chicago Apr 11, 2010. 2 Replies

Lyra Mbira

Started by HENRY LOWMAN. Last reply by Tres Seaver Jan 19, 2010. 1 Reply

tines for trade for abox or twomin

Started by Mungo Park Jan 17, 2010. 0 Replies

Latest Activity

Glenn Kaiser posted photos
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Da Do Ron Ron: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

"Glad to put a smile on your face BrianQ! This one is a fun one to sing and play."
1 hour ago
BrianQ. liked Doug Thorsvik's video
2 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

"Another great oldie I thought I’d never hear on cbg!! :)"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 198th Zoom Mtg 04/15/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG Songbook.pdf...
5 hours ago
Matthias Bichsel left a comment for Moritz Voegeli
"www.cbguitars.ch auf FB This Bichsel"
yesterday
Matthias Bichsel left a comment for Moritz Voegeli
"Hallo, ich bin aus Solothurn. Lisa Stearns hat mich gefragt ob ich Dich kenne. Ich baue cbg. Gruss…"
yesterday
Matthias Bichsel liked Moritz Voegeli's profile
yesterday
BrianQ. left a comment for John Herrick
yesterday
BrianQ. left a comment for Daniel Cook
yesterday
BrianQ. left a comment for Skip Novakovich
yesterday
T-Gripped liked David Woodman 's photo
yesterday

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->