Hi guys I am a complete beginner and have been watching on you tube 3 stringed cigar box guitar for dummies,the tuning is GDG what strings should be used for that tuning as when I slide to the 12 fret my sound is completely different to that on the video .I am using the three lighter stings from a light set????Mal

Views: 383

Replies to This Discussion

i am no expert at this by any means. i made a g'tar a couple of days ago and i used the A D and G strings. as for sounding different at fret 12, it may be that you need to change the distance of the bridge from the nut. either way will adjust the note at fret 12 so its a case of playing with it. i set mine up using an electric tuner initially. i know a lot of people say not to bother but i wanted to get the tuning right down the fretboard. i found an anomally on the D string in that it is D open and D on the 11th fret. both G strings are G at the 12th so i have no clue what is going on there. if your bridge is fixed and not adjustable then i don't know what to suggest. the other thing i noticed that noone told me is that if using a slide then you have to be directly over the fret to play the note, if you go for usual finger positions it sounds monsterously out of tune.
ok you got a G  and a D already .so tune your A string down to G low i like heavy strings better tone and louder but play whats comfy for you .from low to high A tuned down to (GDg) its kind of a low tuning i like (DAd)  use a D and a B tuned down to A and a E tuned down to D you can detune a full step on any string like E to D or D to C you can also tune up a full step but be careful this will give you options ohh streach your strings by pulling on them then retune till it stays in tune

Setting up intonation (correct tuning over the whole fretboard): measure the distance from your nut to bridge and plug it into the stewmac fret calculator and it'll spit out the fret spacing, after which you will need to move the bridge back and forth just a bit to get the same note open and at the 12th fret harmonic. If you're also fingering notes and not just slide playing, nut and bridge height play a big role, too, so you'll have to move (and possibly raise/lower) the bridge and adjust the nut so that your 12th fret fingered and harmonic both match the open note, while also keeping an eye on string height and first fret tuning. Make sure your frets, if you use them, are correctly spaced and straight, measure the distance of each fret from the nut, not each other.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

String selection for DAD tuning

Started by steve buckingham. Last reply by Ice Bob Jul 16, 2014. 7 Replies

5 string tuning

Started by Cin wel. Last reply by Cin wel Jun 21, 2013. 3 Replies

Chords

Started by Mark Bliss. Last reply by Harry A James Apr 25, 2013. 8 Replies

E5 with 1,2,6 Strings

Started by Dr. Dave. Last reply by Ice Bob Aug 10, 2012. 3 Replies

GDG

Started by Mal Chilvers. Last reply by Swamp Dawg Primal Music Jun 12, 2012. 3 Replies

Help with Key Please

Started by Little Soul Eric. Last reply by Little Soul Eric Oct 25, 2011. 4 Replies

GDG

Started by Mal Chilvers. Last reply by Ice Bob Apr 21, 2011. 1 Reply

G Maj.

Started by Mark Bliss. Last reply by Ice Bob Jan 24, 2011. 1 Reply

Latest Activity

Uncle John commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Ha, Ha.  Less is more."
13 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"Sounding good, A.D. Great looking git."
15 minutes ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"Thanks Keith ! appreciated !"
24 minutes ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"Thank you for the comment Doug !appreciated !"
26 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Ghostbuttons's photo
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Crazed Fandango's photo
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
1 hour ago
BrianQ. posted a status
"R.I.P. Dickey Betts, Thanx for the memories!!!"
2 hours ago
BrianQ. replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
"Ever heard of The Godfather of cigarbox guitars? He has a one stop shop store complete with all the…"
2 hours ago
BrianQ. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
"Here’s a video, if you’re not into lengthy reads? …"
2 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->