I'm building this rather different from the norm. I have a solid piece of Malaysian Rubberwood(Oak) from a chair seat that I had lying around. I've made guitar bodies out of this wood before with great results. My plan is to route out a cavity in the body under the plate and mount the Red Oak neck in a cavity pocket like most solid body guitars.
It will have a bridge position Humbucker(probably mounted towards the middle position) with a coil tap and wired to a 3-way switch that will also be wired to a piezo that I'll mount under the plate. Hoping that it will work well. I have corian for the nut and I'm going to make my own adjustable bridge.
The neck is done except for the nut. It's a 25" scale with 22 frets. Red Oak neck and fretboard with natural finish and Truoil. Used Blue colored pencils for the side markers and Blue plastic coat hangers for the fretboard markers. Jumbo fret wire and tuners from CBGitty. The headstock is painted and will match the body. Used a 3/8ths" steel rod for a non-adjustable trussrod.
I wanted a color(Ice Blue Metallic) that I couldn't find. I usually use Dupli-Color Perfect Match spray paint, so I went to the auto parts store and found some Light Blue Metallic that wasn't quite what I wanted. So I got some Silver to use as a base coat since most metallic paints are thin enough for the base/base coat to show through. I got just what I wanted. I might have a hard time matching the body to the headstock since the Red Oak is different from the body wood.
Here's a couple of pics of what I have so far.
I'm going for a Gibson Les Paul JR style bridge that resembles a regular CBG screw bridge if that makes sense.
Going to start routing the body today if I can.
Got the body routed and the neck is glued into place with clamps to hold overnight.
Next up, drill holes in plate for bridge posts, pots and mini-toggle. Then cut hole for pickup.
Got the wiring done. 1 bridge position HB with a coil tap wired to a 500k pot, 1 piezo wired to a 1meg pot and all wired to a 3-way switch.\uap>Had a mishap with wood tear out while drilling for the jack that required a little surgery and wood putty that will be covered up by the paint anyway. Did a mockup of the assembled plate and bridge assembly. The nuts that I'm using to anchor the bridge posts and adjust bridge height are to tall(5/32nds"). They were the thinnest I could find at Lowe's, looks like I'll have to grind them down some. \uap>Plan on making a stop tail piece to terminate the strings. \uap>So far this build weight 5.1lbs. and is balanced at the 15th fret where the neck meets the body.
Next up is final sanding of the body and masking for paint. Then I'll be making the nut from some corian. Still have to grind down the bridge nuts or find some thinner ones.
Masked the guitar and sprayed the first base coat of Silver.
Got the Blue sprayed on and letting it dry.
The body color turned out to be a little darker than the headstock even though it has the Silver color as a base like the headstock. I though it would be lighter since the body wood is more white-ish and that I would need to do several coats of the Blue, but just one coat was more than I wanted. Sanding wouldn't have helped and you can't thin can spray paint.
If I sand it down to the bare wood and just do the blue, I'm sure it would be lighter. But that would have a transparent type color showing more of the wood underneath instead of a Silver/Ice Blue solid color. Maybe a White base would've helped lighten the Blue, but I don't think it would have the Ice Blue/Silver influence that I was going for.
Guess I'll have to be happy with it.