Guys and Gals,

I've got several pieces of walnut ( 8" x 12" x 1/5" ) and I wanted to build boxes to use later on for CGBs.

The problem is that the woodgrain is across and not along the longest side. As far as I know the grain should be along the longest side for strength - I fear that it won't withstand steel strings and will be prone to cracking.

Wod do You think? Steel strings, nylon or:

1. Can I glue the top/back from two pieces ? ( not usual guitar way 'vertically' but to get the grain orientation right it have to be 'horizontally')

2. Can I glue the top from 4 pieces? (like checkerboard - or sheet of paper folded twice)

I'd be grateful for any input.

I'll include pics later today.

Best,

Tomasz

Views: 315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's an ebay auction for a 9K acoustic guitar with a flame maple top.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KP-Acoustic-6-string-Guitar-Koa-body-Flame-...

I don't think you have any stability issues to worry about. Walnut is a hardwood. 

Actually the flame occurs across the grain, but if it is minor issue then I'll do neck through with those.
Thanks!

Just out of curiosity - have you build CBG not neck through?

OOPs, I'm sitting hear laughing at myself. Your absolutely right  Tomasz. Sorry about that. 

This one was built using traditional guitar construction and materials.It has the best acoustic qualities of any I've built

Some pics of some of my builds, tops are very thin. Braces can vary with the build in size and number. braces shown are of course not completed.

Hi, I'll start by saying [just so that you get a picture ]that the most  important part of a guitar as far as tone, volume and response is the top. There is far too much to understand in producing the best performing top to go into here, but suffice it to say I do bare these principles in mind when building my CBGs. BUT its not essential, it will work no matter what you do.  

Even though a CBG top is a lot smaller and has far less stress from 3-4 strings I find the cbg's I build with consideration to acoustic sound in mind and not so much a WOW look appeal, do sound a lot better acoustically.  But to answer the question

If I understand you correctly the grain in your top would run from side to side of the guitar instead of the conventional neck to tail. With the grain going the shorter distance [side to side]  would make it stiffer, so stronger, allowing you to go thinner. Suitable bracing could be used at any joined areas. The more timber in the top the less response. If you're putting a pickup in the guitar you will still get a good sound without worrying too much about what I say here.

What makes a regular guitar top stronger is the strategically placed braces inside the top. What one is looking for is enough flex in the top to allow the strings to move the top to create sound and enough bracing to provide support and tailor tone and volume, without too much dampening.

Cheers Taff

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

- Memorial for Dave Lynas -

Started by Cigar Box Blues in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Rope Walker Country Star 3 minutes ago. 1 Reply

A big wine box

Started by Ben in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by GARAGE HERMIT 35 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Cigar Box Amp Mods

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by RTZGUITARS on Friday. 14 Replies

Blog Posts

Mr. Bells

Posted by Stephen Cohen on September 4, 2021 at 12:30pm 0 Comments

Bookie's Poor Man's Dobro

Posted by Steve Bookout on July 18, 2021 at 2:04pm 3 Comments

Get your groove on for free

Posted by François on July 13, 2021 at 3:05pm 1 Comment

Latest Activity

Rope Walker Country Star replied to Cigar Box Blues's discussion - Memorial for Dave Lynas -
"Gotta say, DaveLynas was an extraordinary gentleman… but not a complete anomaly here. There…"
3 minutes ago
James Pobog replied to James Pobog's discussion Starting to plan for....
"Did you make the neck any thicker? Right now I'm shooting for !"-ish without fretboard…"
12 minutes ago
Cigar Box Blues commented on Silent Jim's video
Thumbnail

PlayList - Dave Lynas - Ceramic Artist

"ol davy doin' his best impression of Dave!"
18 minutes ago
BrianQ. commented on Maddog's photo
Thumbnail

Amp #153 Oliva

"Kool, I love the look of those boxes!  perfect lil’ amp, bet it rocks!!"
23 minutes ago
GARAGE HERMIT replied to Ben's discussion A big wine box
"here's a 3-bottle wine box 6-string guitar i made as you can see the neck extend's into…"
35 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Silent Jim's video
Thumbnail

PlayList - Dave Lynas - Ceramic Artist

"Wow.  This is great.  Thanks, Silent.   Makes me feel like I knew him more face…"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Gary O'slide's video
Thumbnail

Gary O'Slide Bandit

"Bandit.  Sounds like it.  On the run.  Looking over his shoulder.  Posse back…"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Gary O'slide's video
Thumbnail

Gary O'Slide Dobro

"Moose music.  Beautiful.  "
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Danny Gordon's video
Thumbnail

Tribute to Dave Lynas

"Good to see you back here, Danny.  Nice words and tribute.   "
1 hour ago
BrianQ. replied to Cigar Box Nation's discussion Headless Guitar Project - a $100 eBay kit & Gitty pickups
"I had Steinberger back in the 80’s, wish I  had kept it! I love how you didn’t…"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Linda's stump garden

"Thanks, guys.  I happen to know you are both gardeners."
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Good playing fretless. GDG.

"Thanks, Pat. Played good as soon as it was strung up.  Just a piezo, but it sounded…"
1 hour ago

Music

© 2021   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->