Hi! I'm Bill, a 68 year old geezer, who always wanted to play guitar, but my fingers were too fat to make a chord!

I saw a cigar box guitar online, and saw the generous string spacing, and said Eureka!!
Bought one from a local guy, and watched a few videos, and strted strumming along the first day. I ain't saying it sounded good, but I was playing!
I have messed with lap steel some, because using a steel, I don't have to fret chords, but I am not as interested in playing melodies or solos as I am in just being able to sit in with some friends and strum along.
Well, After I got a little used to playing the CGB using one finger chords, I started looking for other places to find the chords.
It struck me that I could tune the guitar to a major triad, as with the A, C#, E strings of my lap steel.
I decided to give it a try (only using G, B, D), and it seems like the chords lay out real nicely, with major, minor, and 7ths real handy, and with the 1, 4, 5 changes available within a couple of frets of each other using "slants".

All that to ask this newbie question...
What are the downsides to tuning to a major triad?
I don't want to start down this road, to find out the hard way it is a dead end.

Oh, yeah, 99% country!

Many thanks, and I love my CBG and CBN!!

Bill

Views: 390

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's not a dead end at all!

Though I prefer 513 tuning (open G would be DGB for example). The chord fingering is easier in my opinion.

Thanks for the input, Korrigan.
I love the "there's no wrong way" perspective with CBGs :-)
I will be able to use the two-note harmonized scales I am familiar with.
Happy picking!

I'd venture a guess that most CBGs are tuned to some sort of open tuning. There are countless variations that approximate a chord, such as GDG, AEA, DAD, EBE.  Makes it very easy if you want to just strum along and play basic slide.

But, such tunings don't limit you to slide playing in the least. I'm almost strictly a finger picker (hardly ever use a slide) and most of my 3-string instruments are GDG or DAD.  For four stringers I like DGBD.  Oddly, for six string, I like standard tuning more than open.

But, it's all pretty objective. Your mileage may vary

Hello BD.
Yep, GDG is pretty friendly, and I don't see me abandonong it.
I guess the only reasonable solution is to have more than one guitar!
:-D

Not trying to talk you out of more guitars but...

If you are in open G (151, GDG) it's really easy to tune to open D major (513, ADF#).

Basically these are usually tuned 1-5-1(old Rock power chords) for the simplicity, but you can tune to what you want. I prefer 4 strings that I tune 1-5-1-3. That way I can add a 3rd when I want and makes playing with 4rths and 7ths easier.

Welcome.

Hi, Paul. Thanks.
I am enjoying learning playing this thing, and have been pleasantly surprised to find out that at least on simple songs, I can actually sing and play at the same time!
There may be a 4-string in my future, if the string spacing will accomodate my chubby fingers. :-)

I use the 1"x 2" boards for my necks(actual 3/4"x 1&1/2") and I have the short fat fingers too. Which is why I played Rhythm guitar using power chords. LOL  Remember that 6 string guitars are usually 1&11/16" or 1&3/4" at the nut, so 4 strings with 1&1/2" all the up the board is very good spacing. I found myself getting use to all the space.

Not many can sing and play at the same time and some can do both very well at the same time. Practice, practice, practice and practice some more.

You sound like you have more music theory than I do.  There are a great many tunings used and I think yours makes an open G.  I think if you are just sliding it might be great, but like Korigan said, if you want to do some finger chords and picking, DGB is easiest to do that and good old GDG is as close to a standard as there is in CBGs. 

I use GDGB on a four string tuning (among others) and like it.

I suggest you take a look at this lesson:  knotlenny's CBG 101 at page top or google it.

Thanks, John. Will do.
I don't foresee much sliding, hopefully some fingerpicking and strumming.

The 1, 5, 8 tuning is a starting point. With every different open tuning there's different music to be had. Even tuning three or four stings in standard tuning works. 

Tried to confuse me with the 1,5,8 instead of 1,5,1, eh?
Took me a second, but I figured it out.
:-)
Working on this song today:
transposed to where chords are
F C Am A# and C
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/deluge/open_up_the_sky_chords_...

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
19 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
5 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
5 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
5 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ricky D's photo
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
5 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->