I see a lot of guys here using nice woods like cherry and exotic stuff to make their fretboards and neck and such.
Looking at the web sites that sell luthier supplies, they want hundreds of dollars for a couple pieces of wood.
Home depot etc. have poplar and oak and that's about it.
So, I sure would appreciate any tips or links to find some nicer varieties of wood that don't cost a fortune.
As such, I also see in the photos that some CBG builders are using these nice woods for fretboards in thicknesses of 1/4" or so.
Are you cutting this stuff down? or are you buying it in that thickness?
I want to make something really nice looking but ain't having any luck finding wood.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Views: 1382

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've never worked Locust, but I love ash and walnut. I've very envious of that walnut stash. If I only had the space...

The cheapest place to get a piece of wood is from a tree!  I got a couple of branches from an Osage orange (horse apple) tree and milled out the wood shown here in the fretboard and heel.  The neck is a piece of ash left over from a cabinet job my friend gave me.

Why not try setting something up with some of the folks on here?  I'm pretty sure that I am not the only one lurking about with an excess of perfectly useable wood.  An added benefit may be exposure to woods from different regions.  Here in the Northeast, we have all kinds of black ash, hard maple, and yellow birch, but not much for walnut, osage orange, or sitka spruce.  Plus, most of us have tons of offcuts and odd pieces we just cant bear to toss into the burn pile.

Check out Rockler. I have a Bubinga 1/4"x1&1/2"x24" "true dimensional" fingerboard coming from them. They also have a local store down the road a piece from me. They have various domestic and exotic woods in those dimensions (among others). Total cost with shipping: $8.68 ($4.99 for the wood, $3.99 shipping and they sent me 20% off offer after I signed up with them. I'm lookin' 4ward to visiting their local store.

Picked up an old picinic table setting by the street for free, had 6 1x6's for the top with many years of weathering. Got home ran a piece through the planner turns out to be redwood. "SCORE",I know what I'll be building with for a while.

Let's call this a tip / advice on handling of freshly milled wood based on a slightly painful lesson learned.

After being tired of not finding useful oak at the Home Depot or Lowes, I drove the extra miles to the closest mill and had a nice piece of 4/4 cherry 6-8% moisture milled and cut to dimensions - eight future necks. Brought it home, stacked it on the table saw, left one piece on the bench for three days (I can sense the groaning from our veteran woodworkers).

I now have 5 slightly warped pieces and 3 relatively straight pieces. Why? The wood was not stacked properly, with spacers (long skinny pieces of scrap wood) between the freshly milled lumber SO THAT all surfaces would be equally exposed to air and all surfaces would dry at the same rate. The milling and cutting exposed fresh surfaces which were still drying. The exposed surfaces dried faster. The piece on the bench, the exposed surface dried more than the surface contacting the bench, equals a slightly cupped piece of wood.

It is not a total loss - the warping is minimal and I can salvage with some planing/sanding or some creative gluing up and resawing on the bandsaw. Remember, spacers between freshly milled lumber to prevent warping. 

.Try Ocooch Scroll Ready Hardwoods. Great prices and selection

For exotic woods, I go to Woodworkers Supply. It's about a 20 min ride, but they have a nice selection and the folks are very helpful. I like to spend time just rooting through the bins. Cut wood comes in very handy sizes, so I have minimal waste. Generally, I can get 2 finger boards out of one piece. I think you can order it online.
I was real lucky getting the maple I have been using. It came from old drawing benches. Old furniture is a great source...
Google is your friend....if you livein a mildly populaed area there should be a supplier near you. I found one within a mile of my house. I bought one board of rock maple for 8 bucks enough for 3 necks and 6 headstocks.

good luck
Ce24

What ce24 said! Let's not forget the old school method either - the good old phone book (remember those?) You'd be surprised at how many small-time operations aren't online, but still advertise in the phone book. I found 2 lumber suppliers and 2 scrap metal dealers listed in the yellow pages who don't have websites - both within about 20 minutes from my house.

I found a local hardwood supplier for fretboards... $7 and I get enough for 6 finger boards. Cheaper than the 1/4" stuff at Home Depot, and far better...
I use maple from Rona for my necks - you can usually find at least one straight piece and a 3/4X1.5 in a 4' length is about $8. I use 1/4 poplar for the fretboards....wish they did the maple in that thickness tho. Don't have the tools to do my own thickness planing so it works for me. I've used a local lumber supplier for ebony fretboards - Mexican ebony costs me $10 for a 3' 1/4 fretboard......he also has loads of really exotic stuff that I intend trying at some stage....love the idea of purple heart

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Busking Songs...

Started by Nomad Jack in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by J. D. Woods on Wednesday. 7 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik posted a video

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 199th Zoom Mtg 04/22/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG SOF Songbook...
32 minutes ago
Bernie Edwards liked David Hopkins's photo
6 hours ago
Bernie Edwards liked David Hopkins's photo
6 hours ago
Crazed Fandango replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
7 hours ago
Crazed Fandango liked Paul Atkinson's discussion Journal Article on the Cigar Box Guitar scene in the UK
7 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

" Sounds good! That little amp surprises... Is it one of Gitty's amp and…"
9 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"Wow, a guitar & amp, that’s a great deal, Dar!!"
10 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Dar Stellabotta's video
10 hours ago
BrianQ. replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
"Clearly AI hasn’t heard of the Plumber’s challenge build - off here at CBN, I believe…"
10 hours ago
BrianQ. liked David Hopkins's photo
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
10 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->