This is like the question are we luthiers? Recently had new member come on-board referring to himself a newbie with 15 builds. My next will be a "teen". I like to build 3 or better at a time to make best use of equipment and time. I don't feel like a newbie and comfortable making CBG's,LPG's, and got a couple of '58 Corvette hubcaps on the way for my first hub cap builds.At the same time I would be challenged to build a baritone uke, like Mark or some of the absolutely unbelievable stuff I have seen here. I know I am leaving people out,no harm intended but that is a recent example. Is "newbie" connected with the number of builds, or diversity of builds? Built all acoustic,electric acoustic, pre-amped electric.

I do it for fun,but it is doing it for a living the point where it professional,advanced or is it a state of mind? Professional, to me seems me to mean that is your day job.Not a super serious question, just wonderin' here.

Views: 479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Newbie has nothing to do with the number of builds. It has to do with how long one has been on, and contributed to, the site. I've only completed two, have purchased several from other builders, and play the snot out of em. And have been around since only about 2011.

So, not a noob, not a founder.
I would think 'newbie'in the context of this site would not be someone who has made 15 or so guitars,but after 30 or 40 odd builds,i still learn stuff here weekly,if not daily,it's more a term of how you look at yourself,there are people who contribute very informative stuff here,and i read there posts and feel like i'm being educated,so in that respect i'm a sort of a 3 going on 4 year newbie

42 CBGs, 2 CBUkes, 2 oil cans... and I'm still a newbie...  and an amateur luthier...

These skills are ones you hone over a lifetime...

Thanks for that Wolf. This will be a prized possession. Diploma is the only thing missing (;-D)  Building CBG's is prolly like riding a motorcycle. When you think you can make it do anything at anytime you please, you are fixin' to get a case of road rash.

Your avatar, handle and that git neck, pretty well sums up what your habits consist. I love it Says it all right there. Born to ride.  (;-D)

Newbie:

(n1) Person new to a forum.

(n2) Someone still finding new and different ways of screwing up a CBG, regardless of experience.

(adj) Feigned modesty.

BTW, never graduate from THIS school.

Yes, I  noticed that too.  I felt like a newbie for the first year.  After 10 or so builds, I felt a little less intimidated starting a build.  And then, building my own boxes was a giant leap.  

My next build will be #22.  Probably another uke, this time with a Gitty pre made neck.

Like a lot of us, I suppose, I sell to support my addiction.  Also to make some space for more.

I still have tons to learn.  Things like string gauges, tension and all that.  I have no clue about bindings.  Fretboard dots scare the hell out of me.  Oh, also I need to take some time to learn how to PLAY these things.

That is part of the problem,I haven't sold one yet. I have traded one for one with my B-I-L that got me started on this habit and another to a good friend that had a 22 mag 5 shot derringer that can ride inconspicuous like.

I will never graduate.   Something new to try always comes along.  We don't have to try everything, but I often want to try new stuff:  diddleys, deuces, threes, fours, fives, sixes, LPGs, canjos, amunition boxes, equalizers, humbuckers, resos, dog bowls, paint lids, new playing styles and tricks.  And the list goes on.

Plus to graduate, you have to be a master of the skills needed to make an all around great instrument- planning, color and decoration, construction, finish, playability, sound and volume.  I am journeyman, not a master.   The screw-ups on my current build testify to that.

I learn something new on every build I have done, often from mistakes! Part of the reason is I try to make each one unique. The other part is impatience or not thinking the whole thing through before cutting! I think it is like a lot of things in life, what first seemed confusing may become clearer with experience, but experience may lead you to try something even more challenging. So I guess I "graduate" to different or higher levels as experience grows.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->