Since I discovered the world of homemade guitars, I've been struggling a bit with what is the best tuning for a cigar box guitar. I've tried various open tunings, but they seem very limiting, for myself of course. I've finally gravitated to 4-strings or six strings, and use the standard guitar tuning for the top four strings. E-B-G-D for 4-strings. 3-string guitars I tune to E-B-G. Six-string guitars I keep with the standard E-B-G-D-A-E.

But I'd be interested in hearing from those who use open tunings, and why you do. 

Views: 1508

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

this  is  the  go-to  video    i   post  whenever i see  questions like this  .

short  ,   simple and funny  . ;-)

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/knotlennys-3string-cbg-101

Thanks for the link. I just watched....great hat he has on. :) I understand the attraction of an open tuning, as you can play chords without knowing how to play chords, in large part. But that limits the instrument severely, I think (but I am not certain about that, not having a lot of experience with open turnings, which is why I started this topic).

At that workshop I did last Friday, I had a few music majors come by and try out a few four sting guitars i had on display tuned to the above E-B-G-D tuning. They were already accomplished guitarists, and immediately were able to play some pretty sophisticated jazz, rock, and pop songs. I told them to pretend that the bottom two strings broke just before they began to play.

I am also thinking that to limit yourself to essentially major and minor bar chords, you limit yourself against a vast array of music you could explore. But....can open tunings let you get there in a different way? A guitarist I admire greatly, Tommy Emmanuel, in a master class at Berklee (my old alma mater, btw) was talking about the concept of finding a way to get the sound you have in your head. That is good advice for any instrument.  

Also, I was thinking that there is a need to learn a entirely new set of chord fingerings for each open tuning you set your guitar to. Is this so? 

And a secondary thought is with only root, third root / root, third fifth etc of an open tuning, how difficult would it be to find and play sus chords, major and minor seventh and nine chords, chord substitutions, stuff like that? 

I'm mostly a 3 stringer and I like BGD (or from low to high DGB.)  So this is just like your 4 string without the high E, but I approach it as open G - some banjo mixed with Keith Richards' 5 string open G with just a dash of standard.  You should be able to apply your 6 string forms to this (with some new/alternate fingerings) but I think it translates pretty intuitively.  When you get comfortable with that, then it's nothing to add the A string to the low end and tune it to G to get (low to high) GDGB.  Then you have the best of both worlds.  151 tuning on the bottom and 513 on the top end.

You can get sus chords pretty easily and 7ths aren't too bad either.  Beyond that you have to get a little more creative, but I like the challenge of doing more with less.  Limiting? Sure, but that's the whole thing for me. "Can I play this on 3 strings" is something I ask myself all the time and while it doesn't always work, when it does it's a thing of beauty.

I understand the desire to tune standard and just transfer everything over from 6, and plenty of people do it, but it's just not the right sound for me.  The open tunings sound older or more folksy/rootsy or whatever you want to call it and fit the whole CBG thing to a T. 

That said, the other night I was drawing up plans for a 4 string telecaster type build and was thinking I would tune standard to get some of those classic country tele licks.  So in the end, I'd say figure out that sound in your head and listen to Tommy ;)

Here's a great example of the possibilities in 151 tuning by Cpt Nemoff you might have seen recently: (GDG)

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/adagio-albinoni-cbg-cover-by-ca...

I was able to get a decent approximation of Classical Gas in 513 (DGB):

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/classical-gas-3-string-cbg

Food for thought...

Listen to the Turtle's stuff to see how good DGB can sound.  I love that tuning. 

This is a very conventional way of thinking.  Open tuning = severely limiting.

I think of standard tuning as a really nice pair of channel lock pliers.  You "can" do about anything with them.  Play in all keys and all types of music.  It is why it is "standard."  Fix the kitchen sink, hold a workpiece, twist a nut off a bolt, use it as a hammer, pry tool, . . . lots of things.

Open tunings are a bit more like a specialized tool that will have features making it good for a particular purpose or purposes.  Like an impact wrench.  You can break a nut off about anything - and fast, but don't try to use it as a hammer.

As a teacher, we are encouraged to start our students with an "I can" statement.  This is often a lot more productive than "With open tuning, I can't . . ."  Focus on exploring the possibilities vs. the limitations.

I use upen G tuning on 3 string and 5 string guitars.  I have a more difficult time with 4 string guitars.  3 = GDg and 5 = GDgbd.  

Keni Lee Burgess has put a lot of work into ADf# (513) tunings that allow a series of movable chord shapes.  I haven't worked with it much myself yet.

a wise  man   once  said  .  'whether you  think  you are  limited  ,  or  or  don't think  you're  limited  ,,..

you are  right  . "  ;-)

You are WRONG, Pick. 

:-D   ,    right  ,  a dumb  man  said  it   ;-)  lol 

Actually, the quote is attributed to Henry Ford who said, “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't-- you're right.”
Regardless, Pick’s right… a GREAT philosophy.

B G D gives you an open g tuning. If you  play six stringer already this tuning should be not much of a learning curve.

For example on six string A chord is three middle stings second fret. On this tuning same fingering for a chord.

I think this is also banjo tuning as well. Check out Turtlehead Videos on the nation  he has an bum ditty instructional vid on this tuning.

I also got a theory calculator app. Don't let the name scare you.  basically you go thru what chord you want and it shows you the the three root notes for that key.Wala!!!

Great for slide work too.

Learn the circle of 5ths and you don't need a computer app. :)

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
15 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
15 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
16 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
16 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
16 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
18 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
19 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
21 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
yesterday
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
yesterday
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->