What's the strangest thing you've ever done to achieve a certain sound or effect?

This funny picture was posted on the CBN Facebook page this afternoon. It had a fan near/against an amp, with the caption, "Budget Tremolo." I found an unrelated video on YouTube, demonstrating this.

We know that certain gear, effects, etc can get expensive. My question is, what's the strangest thing you've ever done to achieve a certain sound of effect? I've even heard of folks shaking their guitars, and even the fake whammy bar.

Views: 1098

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

no . its a cbn   post  .  if you  refresh and still cant see it  , try this , 

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/church-bell-guitar-trick-revisi...

I looked up just the basic trick online. Basically you cross 2 strings over, hold them in place. And play them at the same time.

yup  , pretty  much .  twist 2 strings  with a pick .then push down on the pick like you are fretting that note .. works  great   on 12th  , 5th  , and 3rd  frets  ...  and  others too . 

not sure why you cant see the vid  . must be your settings . i  can see it and it plays fine  .. anyone  else see it  ? or not  ? . 

I'm on my iPhone. That could be it.
It won't even play on your original post. Is it somehow set so only you can see it? Just wondering.

considering i have comments  there , im guessing others can / could see it  fine  . 

here ,, i used the  effect in this tune  .  you should be able to see it  ..  its a ytube 

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/for-whom-the-carol-of-the-bell-...

maybe the phone is the problem, plays ok on my pc

cheers Darryl  ;-)

Sorry if I offended. Just didn't know. Anyway, I tried it, and it sounds great. If you do it on the 3rd fret, 2 lowest strings on a CBG, you can do Hell's Belks on the high G.

offended ????  .  no no  , not at all .  and yup  . 3rd is  a nice spot  .  ;-)

Just remember...you asked. A few years ago, I had just gotten back from Ensenada, Mexico and made the mistake of consuming some rather tasty tacos from a street vendor for lunch earlier in the day on the way to the airstrip to catch my flight home along with my generous friend who had flown us down there on his own business jet. I know. It must be nice.

Later that night as I was noodling around in my project studio, I developed the worst case of flatulence, aka farts, that I've had in my life. The volume in terms of quantity was only surpassed in terms of the dB of SPL that they were producing and the dwell was exceedingly long...i.e., the time from start until finish of each gaseous discharge. I had a stroke of creative genius...that or hypoxia from the oxygen being displaced by the superfluous amounts of methane, carbon monoxide & dioxide and hydrogen sulfide.

Anyway, I grabbed my Royer R121 and plugged it into my Zoom R24 portable multitrack recorder. I spent and hour capturing some impressive "tail pipe detonations". It would be more accurate to call the sonic overpressure waves as the sequelae of an active "weapon of ass destruction".

I then took the wave files from the R24 and uploaded them into my DAW at the time, Pro Tools 9.x and proceeded to create differ clips to loop in sequence. I ran them out through my old Tascam 18 whatever interface using out patch bay to send the signals to an assortment of old analog ElectroHarmonix, Moog and MXR stompboxes, including a ring modulator, an Electric Mistress Flanger and an envelope filter. I also used a little Eq massaging, via a low pass kinda shelving Eq to give my subwoofer a workout on the naturally low register examples.

Now I did this in such a way that it's still clear that the basis for the sounds are still discernible as to their original origin, but the result is even more musical and would fit in with some of the kinds of songs that Les Claypool writes or what Dr. Demento would play if he were still with us, as an examples. They are stored in their very own folder on my HD that I named Code Brown.

Be creative. Be a little twisted. There's music everywhere. Oh, and in recording I discovered another unintended use for an old, mic-stand attachable pop filter that gave its life for the project. "Huh", you say? I didn't want any unnatural muffling of the native tones produced and made sure there was no fabric to impede the vibrations captured. The rest is up to the reader's imagination. Yeah, I know. TMI.

I built a hollow body snare drum. Used a CNC machine to create a 1" thick drum shell that was hollow in the middle (with bracing). Thought since it made guitars sound good, it might work on a drum. The snare just sounded ordinary until you hit a rim shot and then it sounded very thin. Dissapointing. And it took a long time to build.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
55 minutes ago
BrianQ. liked Dar Stellabotta's video
57 minutes ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Project Punch!

" Thank ya again Keith!"
3 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Punch Project!

" Thank Ya Keith!"
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
4 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
4 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
6 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
11 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->