This could be git related or not. So, what's on your workbench at the moment?

I have 4 scarf joint necks in different stages of work.

A 25" scale pine 5 string neck for a Banjo-Res, A 25" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Strat-Res build, A 24 & 1/2" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Double Cut Tele build and a 27" scale 6 string Baritone Conversion neck for a Modern Strat body I have.

Views: 30916

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Back when I was working as a Welder(Memphis), we had to weld some Galvanized steel for the nearby Valero Refinery. Had to wear thick protective gear because that stuff pops little balls of fire all over and had to wear respirators. The temp that week was in the low 100's Fahrenheit with 97% humidity. Got sick a couple times from the heat and several guys got mild heat stroke even with all the precautions we took. That week was my take on what hell must be like. Got a lot of burns that week too. 

I loved my job and the company I worked for, but remembering days like that make me glad I'm not working anymore. 

Getting closer to finish. Piezo placement has not been decided yet.

Let us know how it turns out and if the springs are too much or not.

That build looks awesome Lonman. Looking forward to seeing it done.

My next project will be a 28 inch long fretboard radius sanding jig. The radius will favor the high E side of the neck and be cut off at the 1 1/2 inch mark. The radius will be 12. So if you look at a cut a way it'll look like you chopped off 1/4 of the fretboard on the low E side. 

Exaggerated jig cut a way. 

the raw fretboard will be attached to the top 'slider'. The width of the jig will be 1 1/2 on the inside. That will keep the fretboard from twisting as it's being cut down. The sides of the jig will be the end hight of the fretboard after it's finished. So when the 'slider rests flat on the jig the fretboard will be done. Keep it all waxed so there's no binding up. 

It's over length has a reason. No matter where I'm at there will always be sandpaper cutting into the fretboard. Unlike a short hand held sander. You tend to sand the middle more than both ends.

I'll do a second one with a 14 radius on it to match a standard American Fender.

One this is done it's off to making a 24 3/4 fret slotting jig. I'll be using a fretboard off of a badly damaged 1970's guitar neck. This is my scale of choice. So wether it's a Gibson or Fender string spacing it'll always be the scale I grew up with. 

Looking at making this jig to make the radius blocks.

Nice, I have the full set of G&W luthiers aluminum radius sanding blocks, won them in a raffle at a luthiers convention. If I didn’t have them I’d probably try to build this jig too? Thanx for sharing 

I like your idea with the offset radius sanding jig. I've been doing it similar, but by hand(on 6 string guitars only). I like your idea better. Guess you'll attach the fretboard to the slider with double sided tape?

Hi Ratty, I have made compound fretboards in the past, but I'm wondering the reason/benefits of your modification to fingerboard radius. 

Cheers Taff

Awesome win BrianQ. Have you tried radiusing a CBG neck? If so how did it work for you? Ya, out of all the jigs seen on Youtube this one looks both the simplest and easiest to use. With the best results. Wont be a problem using scrap wood I already have to make this thing too. 

Taffy. Only need 1 1/2 inches for  three or four strings. It's also the traditional width of a CBG. What I'm attempting to do is make it feel more like an electric. With the radius on the palm or high string side of the fretboard. Not trying to build to  sell. These will be for personal use. So it wont matter if they look funky. As long as I like the way they play it's all good. I've seen a really good compound radius jig on youtube. Works and fairly simple to build.   But more work than I want to put into this. Even keeping the strings to the center of the neck so I don't have to worry about the angle between the nut and body. I'll let the bridge I use do that for me. 

I have not, I usually keep it simple with my cbg necks, though it has crossed my mind? I see where you’re going with it though? I’m sure it’ll give you way more comfort & playability with a fingerstyle type playing? Good idea

With the 3 and 4 string CBG neks and fretboards, I've found it to not be a neccessity to go all out on the radius sanding/shaping. A little bit of radius is helpful though and we all have our personal preferences.

On my six string guitars I like to do a soft V shape on the neck, but the finger side is definitely thinner than the thumb side and I tend to do the same on the fretboard radius - the finger side gets thinner than the thumb side. My fingers aren't long so I get better and farther reach to the fretboard this way while retaining a firm thumb wrap-grip on the top. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for explanation ratty. I've used radiused fingerboards on mandolins and of course it's a common on the violin family instruments so there are benefits to be found. Will your fingerboards taper out at the body end, as an electric and other necks? 

Taff

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Crazed Fandango commented on David Woodman 's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0749

"Amazing!"
1 minute ago
Crazed Fandango liked David Woodman 's photo
2 minutes ago
Crazed Fandango posted a photo
3 minutes ago
Rich Butters posted a discussion

UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's

Hi all, I am living in Thailand and building CBGs for about a year.  I will be returning to the UK…See More
1 hour ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Im assuming the wood is cherry?"
4 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Wow wee!!! That is gorgeous!! "
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"thanks kale !yup that shaker sure keeps the groove going , and this LACE is my fender in the CBG…"
8 hours ago
AGP # liked Ghostbuttons's photo
9 hours ago
AGP # commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"A while in the making, But!, well worth the wait, another outstanding one off Randy Bretz Build,…"
9 hours ago
AGP # liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
9 hours ago
AGP # liked Dar Stellabotta's video
9 hours ago
Randy S. Bretz posted a photo

Off the Bench !

Top neck - 23" 018p,028,038 / Bottom neck - 28" 018p,030,044,056.
9 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->