This could be git related or not. So, what's on your workbench at the moment?

I have 4 scarf joint necks in different stages of work.

A 25" scale pine 5 string neck for a Banjo-Res, A 25" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Strat-Res build, A 24 & 1/2" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Double Cut Tele build and a 27" scale 6 string Baritone Conversion neck for a Modern Strat body I have.

Views: 30898

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks good Ray.

Thank you Paul!

Sounds pretty good, surprisingly loud acoustically, though it could use an overdrive and fuzz when plugged in..... Still sounds like fun as it is and it's teachin' me a lot.

Sometimes it's the simplest things that can impact us the most.

I have always wanted A Gibson Reverse Firebird, but Gibson remains to be too proud of the guitars when price is involved. So I'm making my own. I got a Firebird top for 3 string CBG from MGB awhile back and decided to use it as my template.
The top I got was smaller than what I needed so I traced it out using a compass and adding a inch to the overall trace. Then I drew a line through the middle, but slightly offset because the top half was very short while the bottom is tall. I may end up trimming some off the bottom half.
I traced out the body lines on some bamboo cutting boards that I cut in half to serve as wings for a neck-through design. I plan to cut channels into the wing's edge and have a tounge on the neck piece and glue them into place later.
Heres a pic of the wings for now.

OOOOOOoooooo... That's gonna be so cool. Love how you put it about Gibson being "proud" of them. That reminds me of back home. You just don't hear that here...

Thanks. Speak Southern a lot and watch all the people's weird looks. LOL

Paul, the only thing Gibson has ever discounted is quality. Every time they go bankrupt & have to be bailed out by somebody, they lose a little bit more of that quality? I have been quite dissatisfied with their guitars since they were bought out in the 80’s, I believe they’ve been bought out a few times since then? Their guitars are widely popular, but evidently not enough to sustain them? I like your idea, build your own. It would be awesome if you could get ahold of some old Honduras mahogany or some 100 yr. old Maple like the originals?

They keep trying to save other companies at the expense of their own and make some really stupid business ideas.

Gibson opened a factory near Beale St. in Memphis to tap into the tourism and all their flat top semi-hollow guitars(Midtown Series) and their Jr & Special models were made there. The place was doing well, the Midtown guitars were selling well as was the Jr.'s and Specials, but they closed it down because they were going into Bankruptcy due to steep slump in sales at Baldwin Piano and Maestro. I'm not a Business College Grad, but I know not to stop a part of business that's doing well to try to save a part that's been failing for some time.

Stewmac had Honduran Mahogany blanks for about $150 and I thought about getting it along with their Neck blank for another $150, but decided to use what I have. I've been wanting to try out the Bamboo for awhile. All the quality wood lumberyards around here closed, so I'm left with Home Depot and Lowe's to deal with. I'm going to check prices on Maple for the neck-through and will fall back to Red Oak if they want too much for the Maple.

Hey Brian Q, you mentioned Honduras Mahogany and that triggered some memories of some builds many moons ago. This one of them from 1992 in fact. Although it was started in 1990 for a customer who ordered it and did not come back, so I finished it for myself.
The week I finished it my Blue Healer cattle dog, Jude, passed away so this guitar is called “Bluedog”.

Body and neck are Honduras and the centre inlayed piece in the body is Tasmanian Blackwood. The customer ordered three pickups, but I only wanted two, so the blackwood was used to cover all the pickup cavities and allow for two.
It started out with EMG active pickups, but after a short time I fitted the Gibson humbuckers seen here from a Gibson SG custom circa 1980.

The fingerboard is Ebony and the block inlays I cut, myself, from Abalone shells. The scroll on the peghead was what I used when I first started building.

Cheers Taff

Beautiful.

That’s a fine one Taff!!!

Beautiful piece of work!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->