This could be git related or not. So, what's on your workbench at the moment?

I have 4 scarf joint necks in different stages of work.

A 25" scale pine 5 string neck for a Banjo-Res, A 25" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Strat-Res build, A 24 & 1/2" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Double Cut Tele build and a 27" scale 6 string Baritone Conversion neck for a Modern Strat body I have.

Views: 25982

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's funny that the 3 of us made a triangular shaped dulcimer like that. Hahaha

I just shamelessly followed strumstick plans on the web (sort of at least).  The neck was cut like a tuning fork so the bottom could be spread out to form the sides of the body. I actually made the body way too big, so several frets are actually sitting in the ash soundboard.

I got the body shape idea from a band of Russian Rock guys touring the US around 95 or 96 when I made mine, they used big triangular 4 and 6 string semi-hollow body guitars. Can't remember what they call those gits. I reused frets from a MIJ guitar I had. It was a fretless wonder guitar, you know, barely any frets, so I reused them on this thing. It actually sounded good distorted and using slide, it was tuned D/D/A/A/D/D. I paired big strings with little strings like they do on a 12 string, had a nice full sound. Pickup was from the MIJ guitar and like a P90 and Tele bridge pickup put together.

Yes, when I was working as a roadie, a lot of european bands toted triangle shaped lutes along with their gear. I saw rudolf schenker & matthias jabs of the scorpions go to town on some traditional German songs in the middle of a holiday inn parking lot, while waiting for their rooms to be cleaned. You can’t ever forget that!!

Bet that was awesome.

I'm getting ready to start on my first resonator build, using a wooden champagne box with a stainless stove burner cover for the resonator. I expect that the box will be decent acoustically, but if I want to amplify it and not lose the reso tone, is a rod piezo under the bridge a good approach?

Hi, strip piezo undersaddle pickups sence string vibrations, disc piezo pickups pickup cone or top vibrations.

Taff.

Thanks Taff! Should I put the disc directly under the bridge or off to the side a bit?

Hi, The discs used for full size Reso cones go directly under the bridge on the inside of the cone. That's with the spider bridge style. They have a hole in them and use the centre bolt in the spider bridge slot. However, in a CBG the cones are not thin, spun, good quality aluminium, so respond differently.

I have a dog bowel Reso I'm building on the bench now, ready for a piezo and even after doing a few I will still have to experiment positioning.

Things I try are. Inside the bowel, inside the outer wall of the bowel, using thick mounting double sided tape, putting a wooden patch between disc and bowel.

I have even drilled a hole though the disc and used the bolt method. After all that the best set was to also fit a pre amp.

Hope this helps. The sound can be too tinny/bright for my ears, if not "tuned".
Taff.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Cigar Box Amp Mods

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by RTZGUITARS on Friday. 14 Replies

Blog Posts

Mr. Bells

Posted by Stephen Cohen on September 4, 2021 at 12:30pm 0 Comments

Bookie's Poor Man's Dobro

Posted by Steve Bookout on July 18, 2021 at 2:04pm 4 Comments

Get your groove on for free

Posted by François on July 13, 2021 at 3:05pm 1 Comment

Latest Activity

Uncle John posted photos
14 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Vern Hallett's photo
Thumbnail

HHM2

"Ummm. Beautiful. Nice pic and background. High 9s. Our friend, Mr. Lynas would have approved."
16 minutes ago
Thumbnail

HHM4

"Nice job."
17 minutes ago
Thumbnail

HHM5

"Gees. The string separation and 'hold down' are critical and that setup has to make it…"
18 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Jerry Jordan's photo
Thumbnail

Building resumed

" l sure like this pic.  Very cool and functional setup.  Love that saw.   "
21 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Cigar Box Blues's video
Thumbnail

Gunfighter Blues - Stay Alert! ...somebody is callin' your name!

"I like how you filled in your logo/pickup cover on the building's sign.  Oh, I see the…"
23 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Outhouse Row. Got TP? Dave L fore ground and Mose in the back.

"Oh!  I wondered about that girl.  I think she is from your collection, John Mc Nair."
53 minutes ago
Jerry Jordan commented on Vern Hallett's photo
Thumbnail

HHM2

"Sweet looking build"
2 hours ago
Jerry Jordan commented on Jerry Jordan's photo
Thumbnail

Building resumed

"It’s a great saw Brian, I just make sure it only touches fingerboards"
2 hours ago
Jerry Jordan commented on Jerry Jordan's photo
Thumbnail

Building resumed

"This little rig works well enough I don’t use my store bought mitre saws… I just…"
2 hours ago
Cigar Box Blues commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Outhouse Row. Got TP? Dave L fore ground and Mose in the back.

"I remeber that one! here is the girl : )"
7 hours ago
Cigar Box Blues posted a video

Gunfighter Blues - Stay Alert! ...somebody is callin' your name!

In memory of Dave Lynas - This world will miss you!- from the website https://www.reddogguitars.com There is CBGs for sale and more cigar box music#cigarbo...
8 hours ago

Music

© 2021   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->