This could be git related or not. So, what's on your workbench at the moment?

I have 4 scarf joint necks in different stages of work.

A 25" scale pine 5 string neck for a Banjo-Res, A 25" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Strat-Res build, A 24 & 1/2" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Double Cut Tele build and a 27" scale 6 string Baritone Conversion neck for a Modern Strat body I have.

Views: 16784

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, I started converting an old Volksempfänger (radio from nazi era) into a nice little tube amp.

This project has to wait because I finally found the car I was searching for for some years. It's a 1971 ROBUR bus. There is a lot of work to be done. The body was very much destroyed by rust, so I had to change about 4.5 squaremeters of steel sheet. Everything had to be formed by hand.

Today I'm waiting for the sun coming a little more up soi I can start the final paint job.

If you like you can watch >the whole story here/a> (many pics)

best regards, Peter

Cool bus. It has a lot of room.

It seems that just about every auto manufacturer in the 70's used the same low grade steel that just rusts away. Haha  American auto makers cars were well known to have bad rust problems around the fender wells, floor pans and trunk pans. Of course a lot of salt was used on the roads and most of the cars didn't have a paint on the bottom of the cars,trucks and others.

Definitely show us that amp project later.

To make it worse, they probably used russian sheet, which was known for rusting very fast.

Much of the bodywork was made by hand. So they put one uncoated sheet on the other and set at every 3 inches a welding spot. (I used three times more) Water came into the uncovered gap and destroyed everything within a short time.

Nevertheless I love these old Robur- buses. They were very common here in the east of germany and nearly all of them have disappeared.

For me it's a childhood memory. We were brought to sports events, swimming school etc. in these buses. (they have 21 seats) The bus has a length of 23ft. and this is enough space for a nice camper van. I'm planning to use it next summer for a trip to Portugal.

That's cool. We all tend to try and resurrect our childhood memories. My Dad would get cars, do some mechanical work and body work on them and then sell them for more than he paid. He taught me things along the way.

Hi Paul..

we've talked before.......would really like to get involved in your blog, so much good stuff.......question: why do the new "postings" not show up at the top? do i have to drill down to page 94 to see them.? doesn't make sense. thank you! photo showing steam bent wood being epoxied together: (can you believe walnut is in the list of top ten woods to steam ?! and red oak.)

Hi Daniel,

I started this thread awhile back no even thinking about the blogs that could be done. LOL

Usually the way these threads work out is: click on the title of the thread and it goes to the first page/beginning of the thread, but if you click on the last reply it goes to the last page unless someone has commented on something in the middle. Just the way CBN has things setup.

Didn't know that about the Red Oak. I have seen Walnut on acoustic guitars before. I want to steam some wood sometime in the future just got way too many things going on right now. There's a large learning curve to steaming and bending wood and anyone that can pull it off has much respect from me.

I think you have enough clamps on that one.Haha Gluing up neck assemblies require many clamps and sometime clamping jigs.

I bought something a week ago that's pretty awesome and once I finish learning about all of what it does, how to set it and control it and the results of it all, I'll probably start a thread on it. So far I'm liking it alot.

Not yet decided what this will be, but I know 24inch scale, 3 string, pine neck, oak fretboard. Not sure if I will be fretting or not. not much room on neck for frets.  Am going to do my first blow torch look on the neck.  Any tips for blowtorching wood?  Thanks for looking. 

If you can try the torch on a piece of scrap it would be good to get the feel of it. It seems like nothing is happening then suddenly it changes. I'd suggest a broader flame and not to close or you will get lines running across the wood.  Follow the grain, don't freak out when the little whiskers flame off!  Keep a bucket handy and have a safe way to hold as it will get hot. You can always darken more if it is not to your liking but sanding off char kind of sucks.

thanks for the tips Kigar. Looking forward to giving it a try

If you run the torch down the length of the wood, you'll get even coverage. If you run the torch across the width of the wood you can get a uneven wave like appearance.

thanks Paul for the tip

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

67% Les Paul Tribute

Started by Tom T in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner 44 minutes ago. 7 Replies

built-in reverb

Started by JOHN POMEROY in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by JOHN POMEROY 9 hours ago. 7 Replies

Lid thickness question.

Started by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner 13 hours ago. 12 Replies

Screw Inlays

Started by Brent Kasl in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Titch the Clown 15 hours ago. 4 Replies

Peloton Bike

Started by Grace Acebedo in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Grace Acebedo on Friday. 6 Replies

Holding the CBG

Started by Jack Brady in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner on Thursday. 4 Replies

Logo using tracing paper

Started by Titch the Clown in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner on Wednesday. 1 Reply

Blog Posts

My mistake at the markets

Posted by Rick Tish on August 22, 2019 at 9:27am 1 Comment

Indiana State Fair

Posted by Rick Tish on August 19, 2019 at 7:46pm 1 Comment

Buying in bulk

Posted by Rick Tish on August 17, 2019 at 6:31pm 3 Comments

Shellac

Posted by Rick Tish on August 15, 2019 at 7:00pm 1 Comment

Latest Activity

Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner replied to Tom T's discussion 67% Les Paul Tribute
"LOL I do to! Its called firewood!"
44 minutes ago
Tom T replied to Tom T's discussion 67% Les Paul Tribute
"Hey, cutting things too short is how I get the scraps to build things like this. And boy do I have…"
47 minutes ago
Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner replied to ruth quick's discussion newbie trying to find 3 string CBG song 'Belfast Child' by Simple Minds or how to convert it from 6 string???
"""Fair warning""! DO NOT under 'any' circumstances get these guys…"
58 minutes ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson commented on Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson's video
1 hour ago
Will "KOOL DOG HOOCH" Bonner replied to Tom T's discussion 67% Les Paul Tribute
"Holy smoke! That is one hell of a job! The "only" thing I can do with a piece of wood is…"
1 hour ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson posted a video

Jimmy Jam 3

4 string CBG. Playing around with the Ry Cooder tuning (and incidently for CBN folk, the Andries D Eker) Open D Tuning ADF#A
1 hour ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

Jamin with Clint

"Thanks Denbo. Thanks Pick. It did Pick. I cut the little clips down to make it less but we picked…"
2 hours ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson commented on cbgkent's video
Thumbnail

Preachin blues and black Betty jam CBG

"Fantastic Kent, good on you with the singing, you'll be good at it, & the more relaxed the…"
4 hours ago
cbgkent commented on cbgkent's video
Thumbnail

"Cheers guys. I’m trying the singing thing and having lessons for singing I will end up…"
4 hours ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson liked Dave Lynas's video
5 hours ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

Jamin with Clint

"Wow Guys, wonderful! The Spotts Whitefish Band has a good ring to it :D"
5 hours ago
Dennis "Denbo" Goodinson commented on cbgkent's video
Thumbnail

"A Rock your Neighbours concert, I love it Kent, it's great!"
5 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->